Header Wallpaper

Meditations Theatre and Power

AvatarAsk Zeus Operator1 min to read

I’d like to ask some experienced members: I want to perform in the theatre and I’m curious to know whether a character’s (i play) words (including their emotions) hold any power/influence.

I know that this is the sacred art of our wonderful god Apollo, which was of great significance to classical culture.

I’m at an intermediate level in meditation.

#1

Hello :)

Generally no, because you know it's for a play. But if it's long-term, then the emotions may start to affect you if you don't clear yourself after. Perhaps take a moment before each performance and affirm to yourself that this is just an act, not affecting you personally; and then after, tell yourself again that it was for the play, and adjust your emotions. You can even just do a quick sweeping light method to clear yourself, if you don't have time to do the normal required cleaning right after, for example if you are going out with the rest of the cast for dinner after the play.

#2
This is the targeted message.

High Priestess' post is already wonderful and touches on basically everything already, though I'd like to add one thing, as this is actually an interesting subject matter to me personally. One interesting fact about theatre is that there's a whole range of superstitions engaged in by cast and crew. By my understanding, the phrase "break a leg" actually stems from theatre, as it's basically a way of not jinxing someone's luck before a performance. There's also, quite famously, the old superstition that you have to refer to Macbeth as "The Scottish Play" because calling the play by its name will invite disaster, with this having something to do with a curse supposedly placed on the play by witches, given Macbeth's subject matter.

Again, this is superstition more than anything, though sometimes people will give these things power by believing in them so strongly and so collectively. There's a fascinating history surrounding theatre, hauntings and tragedy, but this is another topic.

As HPS Lydia says, generally no for your actual question. I am aware however some people get really into certain roles, and creatives can often be eccentric or unstable people (not saying this is you, of course). One notable modern example of something like this going very wrong is Heath Ledger's portrayal of the Joker, where the actor locked himself away for months and abused prescription medication.

This said, this is a very extreme example, and does not apply to most people. The point I'm really making has to do with subject matter, who you're playing and how long. If your play covers a dark subject matter, and this is an emotional mindset you have to maintain for lengthy periods of time and really dwell in mentally, the best recommendation is what High Priestess already suggested, and that's cleaning. And obviously taking time to wind down and detach. The vast majority of actors aren't going to get so into a role that it effects their wellbeing, I imagine.