Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Talking To Meher Baba Followers?

volk_victory

I've run into some followers of the Meher Baba (Merwan Irani). He was a citizen of India, of Persian heritage. His motto was "I came not to teach, but to awaken". He & his followers think that the presence of iron in blood is of great significance. He claimed to be an avatar. In middle age, he gave up speaking for 44 years but carried a piece of cardboard with letters on it to motion at to communicate. While Meher Baba's more charitable biographers call what he had to say "a unique amalgam", mixing the vocabulary of the Sufi, Vedic & Yogic traditions, all this seems to be an indecipherable hodgepodge.

A while ago, I watched a documentary on the Ganges River. A "Boom Boom Baba" was featured flitting around Varanasi India.
The "Boom Boom Baba" was not above munching on the semi-roasted remains he located on funeral pyres, claiming that this did a world of good for his Karma. Even my shallow understanding of various "Baba" (or father) figures informs me that they're not worth writing home about, much less venerating particularly.

I don't wish to be abrupt with otherwise quite nice people, but critical thinking has kicked in. What would be
the best way to steer any future conversations with those of this stripe?

Seeker_of_jos_wisdom said:
I've run into some followers of the Meher Baba (Merwan Irani). He was a citizen of India, of Persian heritage. His motto was "I came not to teach, but to awaken". He & his followers think that the presence of iron in blood is of great significance. He claimed to be an avatar. In middle age, he gave up speaking for 44 years but carried a piece of cardboard with letters on it to motion at to communicate. While Meher Baba's more charitable biographers call what he had to say "a unique amalgam", mixing the vocabulary of the Sufi, Vedic & Yogic traditions, all this seems to be an indecipherable hodgepodge.

A while ago, I watched a documentary on the Ganges River. A "Boom Boom Baba" was featured flitting around Varanasi India.
The "Boom Boom Baba" was not above munching on the semi-roasted remains he located on funeral pyres, claiming that this did a world of good for his Karma. Even my shallow understanding of various "Baba" (or father) figures informs me that they're not worth writing home about, much less venerating particularly.

I don't wish to be abrupt with otherwise quite nice people, but critical thinking has kicked in. What would be
the best way to steer any future conversations with those of this stripe?
Superstition and ignorance, not the worst I've seen but pretty bad. Nothing he does seams to serve any real value for society. Nothing will benefit his karma, in fact he may even worsen it as he desecreted someone's remains.

Critical thinking is very important, it's only up to the newer generations to embrace this.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back