Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Is meditation on the candle flame safe?

Sunny

Whether it's flame or light bulb, I don't consider this meditation safe and would advise against it, the others are fine.

From what I was able to find on the web, the candle flame, if you look at it for a while, temporary damage occurs on the retina. An occasional glance at a candle flame doesn't cause problems but concentrating on it could be harmful, the same goes for lamps but it also depends on their power.

What do you think?

Master said:
Whether it's flame or light bulb, I don't consider this meditation safe and would advise against it, the others are fine.

From what I was able to find on the web, the candle flame, if you look at it for a while, temporary damage occurs on the retina. An occasional glance at a candle flame doesn't cause problems but concentrating on it could be harmful, the same goes for lamps but it also depends on their power.

What do you think?

I've never heard this argued before. The JoS places much emphasis regarding the use of safe meditations, especially compared to most other organizations. What does "temporary damage" even mean, irritation/sensitivity? Where did you find this information, and why did you think to look for it? If you feel pain or discomfort, stop doing it; the candle meditation is hardly essential. Safety is an important factor, but I've seen the difference between "playing it safe" and overcoming difficult and dangerous experiences, the results are incomparable. I honestly would suggest you keep away from any occult practices with the mindset you displayed. This is a joke.

Aquarius said:
It's fine.

RED DAWN said:
Master said:

What do you think?

I've never heard this argued before. The JoS places much emphasis regarding the use of safe meditations, especially compared to most other organizations. What does "temporary damage" even mean, irritation/sensitivity? Where did you find this information, and why did you think to look for it? If you feel pain or discomfort, stop doing it; the candle meditation is hardly essential. Safety is an important factor, but I've seen the difference between "playing it safe" and overcoming difficult and dangerous experiences, the results are incomparable. I honestly would suggest you keep away from any occult practices with the mindset you displayed. This is a joke.

I read in Quora this but I can't confirm or debunk what one member here said.

Candle gazing. Why am I able to close my eyes after some time of candle gazing and see everything including where the candle is at in detail the candle itself and the flame? It's like I'm able to see this for at least a few minutes.

You are causing some temporary damage to your retina by gazing at bright light sources. This damage causes the “after-image" to appear for some time in your field of vision. The surrounding details are probably being filled in by your brain, as it tries to make sense of the unusual inputs it gets after you close your eyes.

I would not recommend anyone to attempt this trick and I think it would be a good idea for you to stop doing this too. Repeated damage to the most sensitive parts of the eye is undesirable for reasons that should be obvious.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECC0QBQ&usg=AOvVaw2wOVy8qhhFOgMaW0z1u9yM

RED DAWN said:
Master said:

What do you think?

Fatigue or difficulty is a different thing from a harmful or destructive thing like, for example, that corrupt Hindu thing of cutting off the uvula in order to then activate the pineal gland with the tongue, as if it were a button.

Yes, meditation on the candle flame is not a fundamental thing. I just wanted to check it out.

I've done it before, it's fine, in fact it's a great meditation especially if you are a pyromaniac like me. I could watch fire for hours like it was a television. 🔥

Master said:

What do you think?

Staring straight at the sun maybe or a cutting flame or a welding arc sure but a small candle flame is fine.

Soul Wings said:
I've done it before, it's fine, in fact it's a great meditation especially if you are a pyromaniac like me. I could watch fire for hours like it was a television. 🔥

Unlike a digital or material drawing, looking at the flame, projected or displayed image in front of you lasts longer, probably because you get so much more light.

It is through light that we see things. Every being and every object has an electromagnetic field and therefore emits light but in the invisible spectrum. The human eye perceives only the visible light spectrum, it is necessary to irradiate with this light power and spectrum the things in order to see them. The fact is that after the light goes to irradiate an object and then it reflects it, the light brings us information.

We deal with light all the time when we are awake. That doesn't mean that light can't be dangerous. For example, looking at the sun results in permanent and complete blindness.

Shadowcat said:
Master said:

What do you think?

Staring straight at the sun maybe or a cutting flame or a welding arc sure but a small candle flame is fine.

I don't feel any discomfort or pain with the candle exercise but after this exercise I feel an excessive exposure of my eyes to the light, as if I was too much out in the sun without sunglasses (of course, I don't mean looking at the sun but just being outdoors).

Speaking of sunglasses, be careful to buy real sunglasses with real filters for UV or Blue light (depending on your needs), instead of the cheap fake ones that actually trick your eyes and instead of protecting them put them more at risk. Inform yourself about this in case you are not.

I was saying that the candle exercise and the exercise of looking at images or symbols on paper or digitally, is to train concentration and visualisation. I have to say that electronic devices can also be harmful if their light is set wrong. Symbols printed on paper are undoubtedly very safe for this purpose. Concentration is obviously essential.

I meditated on candle flame since I was 5-6 years old. In the last years from my notes cumulated, I meditated on a candle flame for over a week in total—more than 150 hours. Usually, an hour a day from time to time, nothing wrong happened, but quite the opposite. More clarity and spiritual ability. I do not take into account the divination part of it, just pure focus and will in certain cases.

I also am of the opinion which is something of personal performance, that flame meditation is essential and also a gateway to developing a lot of not only abilities but also advance very powerfully.

Besides this, is pointed meditation on a .... point. All of this sounds for beginners but truly it is not, and it is a way to actualize a lot of power and acknowledge a lot of things.

If you really like this and get the feeling of it, you can hypnotize and command anyone to realist degrees. You can make things happen only by your gaze if you also have a powerful electromagnetic field.

You can also communicate with animals, to a certain degree as this also involves emotional intention. You can send images to animals. I befriended my parrots in this way, by showing them what will happen if they come to me. Also, cats and dogs are the easiest to communicate with. If you connect to them, you'll know when they'll be sick, when they are thinking of you, etc. If you get a pet you'll also know if they like you or not, as for example, some parrots chose their caretakers very carefully. If they don't like your face you'll know.

Stormblood said:
Flames are not bright sources of light.

Any digital screen is much more dangerous to focus on. In fact, focusing on a digital screen for hours in a day is one of the main causes of myopia.

I agree with what you said about digital screens but I disagree about the candle. It is a source of light, you can illuminate a room. The candle flame is incandescent gas and this is a type of light source. Actually, the problem is not whether it is a source of light but the power of the light itself, because even an object that reflects light, if it is radiated by a powerful light and therefore reflects powerful light, it can be dangerous.

I have searched a lot in internet but there are no experiments and studies about this because you know, Humanity is not interested in training and development of mind and soul currently.

NakedPluto said:
I meditated on candle flame since I was 5-6 years old. In the last years from my notes cumulated, I meditated on a candle flame for over a week in total—more than 150 hours. Usually, an hour a day from time to time, nothing wrong happened, but quite the opposite. More clarity and spiritual ability. I do not take into account the divination part of it, just pure focus and will in certain cases.

I also am of the opinion which is something of personal performance, that flame meditation is essential and also a gateway to developing a lot of not only abilities but also advance very powerfully.

Besides this, is pointed meditation on a .... point. All of this sounds for beginners but truly it is not, and it is a way to actualize a lot of power and acknowledge a lot of things.

If you really like this and get the feeling of it, you can hypnotize and command anyone to realist degrees. You can make things happen only by your gaze if you also have a powerful electromagnetic field.

You can also communicate with animals, to a certain degree as this also involves emotional intention. You can send images to animals. I befriended my parrots in this way, by showing them what will happen if they come to me. Also, cats and dogs are the easiest to communicate with. If you connect to them, you'll know when they'll be sick, when they are thinking of you, etc. If you get a pet you'll also know if they like you or not, as for example, some parrots chose their caretakers very carefully. If they don't like your face you'll know.

This means that meditation on the candle flame is safe. Many thanks for sharing your experience and other knowledge.

Master said:
Stormblood said:
Flames are not bright sources of light.

Any digital screen is much more dangerous to focus on. In fact, focusing on a digital screen for hours in a day is one of the main causes of myopia.

[...]

I have searched a lot in internet but there are no experiments and studies about this because you know, Humanity is not interested in training and development of mind and soul currently.

Yeah, that's a big issue. I know Tibetan monks have specifically done this exercise for a very long time.

Master said:
Shadowcat said:
Master said:

What do you think?

I don't feel any discomfort or pain with the candle exercise but after this exercise I feel an excessive exposure of my eyes to the light, as if I was too much out in the sun without sunglasses (of course, I don't mean looking at the sun but just being outdoors).

Speaking of sunglasses, be careful to buy real sunglasses with real filters for UV or Blue light (depending on your needs), instead of the cheap fake ones that actually trick your eyes and instead of protecting them put them more at risk. Inform yourself about this in case you are not.

I was saying that the candle exercise and the exercise of looking at images or symbols on paper or digitally, is to train concentration and visualisation. I have to say that electronic devices can also be harmful if their light is set wrong. Symbols printed on paper are undoubtedly very safe for this purpose. Concentration is obviously essential.

If you are afraid of the candle flame, you can just increase the distance to it. This way less power arrives your retina. (Your eyes amplify the optical power by the factor of 100.000).

I sat in front of a campfire for hours, and gazed straight into it, and it didn’t harm my retina. So a candle flame is not harmful.

NinRick said:
Master said:
Shadowcat said:

If you are afraid of the candle flame, you can just increase the distance to it. This way less power arrives your retina. (Your eyes amplify the optical power by the factor of 100.000).

I sat in front of a campfire for hours, and gazed straight into it, and it didn’t harm my retina. So a candle flame is not harmful.

Good idea.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back