Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Resource for OS Development.

serpentwalker666

I found these resources very useful in my self study of computer engineering and wanted to share with Satanists here who may be interested or would find them helpful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sites -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Books -

Writing a Simple Operating System —
from Scratch
-by Nick Blundell

Assembly Language for x86 Processors
Sixth Edition
-by Kip R. Irvine

The C++ Programming Language
4th Edition
-by Bjarne Stroustrup

(I mentioned this book before in my one programming post, but it deserves a re-mention, it is a very thorough
and great study book, one of the best)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I wanted to mention having a look at Assembly Language, and both higher and lower programming languages has proven useful to me in better understanding programming concepts and why the data and languages are written how they are.

I chose C++ as my language to learn and eventually master, but so far I am focusing on healing and trying to reel back into studying as I'm able to, I'm hoping sooner then later I can expand on things a bit more and start writing more in-depth posts about computer engineering when I am actually proficient in this. But this will probably take some time.

I did not really care for the structure or way java, javascript or python is written, but again, that is all just preference and it's all a tool to learn and use. I'll probably circle back to some of that in time.

Before I digress too much, I greatly hope some Satanists find this stuff useful.

Goddammit, I'm just a web developer, no experience with this low-level kind of programming, but a dedicated Linux distro, a Joy of Satan official distro, would be cool as hell.
Are you already seriously looking into this? It could be a project if the higher-ups endorse it!

assembly is rather easy but not really good for developing from scratch, too time consuming. I did a lot of reverse engineering with older games without knowing anything about code, assembly shines because you can become one with the machine youre programming for, it is said that in the early days programmers optimized code in assembly; modern programmers say compilers are already more efficient than humans will ever be, but I really doubt thats the case, rather an excuse to do less.

anyways; making good software is unheard of nowadays, just look around and see how much bloatware and unoptimized it all has become. the day a proper software company opens up and starts delivering, we will truly make use of the computing power available. there's a reason why older programmers are considered "better" than newer ones, with less computing power your software needs to be much more efficient to run, not the case anymore when everyone can buy a 12 core cpu, a gpu with 24 gb of ram, etc.

this is a proper opportunity for us; as every other big company is greedy and quality is shit, there is a growing sentiment and people are aware of this. in the future proper code will triumph over the bloated unoptimized crap that we are used to.

for example windows which is garbage, I still use Win7, not the best but way better than the current ones.

Goddammit, I'm just a web developer, no experience with this low-level kind of programming, but a dedicated Linux distro, a Joy of Satan official distro, would be cool as hell.
Are you already seriously looking into this? It could be a project if the higher-ups endorse it!
Yes I have had some ideas and so has another SS I discussed this with before.

Unfortunately 9 10ths of my time is going towards just trying to fix chronic health issues and try to attain financial stability. It has been a life long struggle for me and I'm actually doing workings and advancing so I can get to a point where I can then just focus on development and be in my chosen career path.

The good news though is I feel the Joy of Satan could go with a distro forked like devuan, or gentoo base. But this really depends on the developers preference. For the longest time and I still do currently, feel we could just use a base distro like devuan and have things built on top so we don't have to go through the hassle of managing a whole distro and allocating manpower to that.

We could still do that. I just wonder if that's the best choice as of now.

Ahhhh [claps] now this is it, here's the good stuff. I'm a systems programmer, got a lot of love for that C/C++ and assembler level goodness, mhm, mhm! I've written a couple compilers, one was basic native compiler called ACX for a stupid little language I called AlmostC, that I was using as a sort of compiled scripting interface for a silly little game engine and game that never really came to fruition, but was quite a learning experience.

The other is a FORTH stream-compiler, which compiles a simple typeless pointer-based low level scripting language into streams of branching function calls which can run sometimes even faster than native bytecode. It's a systems programming language used on most space tech and telescopes.

If anyone wants to work on a Satanic OS, well, I'd be happy to divide up my time between my current project and this one, I'd love to help with this kind of stuff!
I find this extremely useful as I didn't know about a couple of these books. Thanks a bunch!

I used these two books when I was learning the languages:

C Primer Plus
6th edition

C++ Primer Plus
6th edition

They where the manditory textbooks when I was in school, I read them completely through :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Dr. Stroustrup's is a 10/10 read as well. He's the man behind the language, after all.

I wish I could offer substantial help, but as I said, I have no experience with low-level programming nor it is my passion, my heart beats for web-apps. I actually like the new frameworks.
But maybe I can lend a hand somewhere else related to this, although I can't think of anything.
Let's start with seeing if we have enough low-level programmers in our midst that would be interested in this project (I don't see how anyone couldn't be interested!) to make it a possible reality.

Also, although at the moment I'm not passionate about low-level programming, it hasn't always been like this, and I've switched my interests around many times.
So everything is possible.
This project seems so cool, potentially, it could be what gets me into OS development.
It is the Age of Aquarius, the Age of Change, after all.

How though? It has not received security updates for quite some time.

you need to be really careless to get any kind of malware or Trojan in your pc even with unsupported windows, it’s not like you type google and immediately get hacked

and most of embedded systems in big corporations and US military still use win xp based systems, so updates do exist for older OS, just not to the public

you need to be really careless to get any kind of malware or Trojan in your pc even with unsupported windows, it’s not like you type google and immediately get hacked
No, but is it not true that there are unpatched vulnerabilities that will never be patched which means that is something to be wary of? Would it not make sense to use something else altogether? From a developer's viewpoint, a virtual machine other than in the Windows environment makes more sense to me.
and most of embedded systems in big corporations and US military still use win xp based systems, so updates do exist for older OS, just not to the public
Professional support is indeed another thing that customer support (it's always a bit longer than for customers), but this is beside the point.

Some advice here. If you are dead set on using windows 7 regularly for all your computing needs, install Linux as your host machine and start using it through a hypervisor.

That or just switch to Linux. It's up to you, but just daily driving windows 7 in 2024 is not a great decision.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back