Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Suggestion: a new sub-forum for JoS translation projects

Valontuoja

I was thinking that we could have a new sub-forum for translations projects started by JoS-members. It would help to organize the efforts of translating our sites to other languages and it would also help those who are looking for translation projects. On the old forums the translation projects were posts posted on this main forum but a new sub-forum could help people to contact other translators and organize the work more efficiently.

Valontuoja said:
I was thinking that we could have a new sub-forum for translations projects started by JoS-members. It would help to organize the efforts of translating our sites to other languages and it would also help those who are looking for translation projects. On the old forums the translation projects were posts posted on this main forum but a new sub-forum could help people to contact other translators and organize the work more efficiently.

I think a topic with this purpose would be enough to start with, then if people from other countries really start taking a step forward and seriously engaging in translating JoS content to their own respective languages, a sub-forum for this could be opened. I mean, the idea is good, but I think it's only worth it if enough people really place their interest in it.

I have been debating the idea of a platform specifically for JoS related works and projects, and it will probably have to be a forum or a sub forum, in here.

Also, I will put up and e-mail specifically for this task to organize the work in a better way, so we can keep the good work up.

I was just extremely busy with other time consuming things that disallowed me of doing this earlier, plus, Mercury Retrograde.

Hooded cobra, thanks for letting me know. I was waiting for the retrograde to end before I made this topic, it's good to hear that you have thought about the same matter.

Dypet Rod said:
I think a topic with this purpose would be enough to start with, then if people from other countries really start taking a step forward and seriously engaging in translating JoS content to their own respective languages, a sub-forum for this could be opened. I mean, the idea is good, but I think it's only worth it if enough people really place their interest in it.

In my opinion a sub-forum would be superior to a sticky thread for the projects since in the sub-forum visitors would instantly see what projects have already been started and by whom. The translation topics also wouldn't take space from the main forum like in the old forum where my one-man-translation-project was a sticky. The new sub-forum would also lower people's threshold for starting new projects. By lowering the threshold I mean that we could encourage people to create a foundation for translating JoS into their languages. I started originally to translate after seeing the Hindi translations done by one man.

I don't think it's going to be a very demanding task to start a new sub-forum. If the sub-forum isn't very active to begin with it could still be of use for the future...

Valontuoja said:
Hooded cobra, thanks for letting me know. I was waiting for the retrograde to end before I made this topic, it's good to hear that you have thought about the same matter.

Dypet Rod said:

In my opinion a sub-forum would be superior to a sticky thread for the projects since in the sub-forum visitors would instantly see what projects have already been started and by whom. The translation topics also wouldn't take space from the main forum like in the old forum where my one-man-translation-project was a sticky. The new sub-forum would also lower people's threshold for starting new projects. By lowering the threshold I mean that we could encourage people to create a foundation for translating JoS into their languages. I started originally to translate after seeing the Hindi translations done by one man.

I don't think it's going to be a very demanding task to start a new sub-forum. If the sub-forum isn't very active to begin with it could still be of use for the future...

Hmm, you have a point there. A sub-forum could indeed be more organized and encouraging. Many topics which are opened and are focused on one specific theme often get overlooked and quickly forgotten, so a sub-forum would really be more inviting of people's attention.

Besides, as HP Hooded Cobra said, it could also include other projects in general, so it wouldn't be so limited.

Hoodedcobra666 said:
I have been debating the idea of a platform specifically for JoS related works and projects, and it will probably have to be a forum or a sub forum, in here.

Also, I will put up and e-mail specifically for this task to organize the work in a better way, so we can keep the good work up.

I was just extremely busy with other time consuming things that disallowed me of doing this earlier, plus, Mercury Retrograde.
What would be very useful is a platform of our own to host files. This way we would post finished translations immediately (even smaller autonomous ones like some library sermons), it would also help for quality control and for seeing clearly what is done and what isn't if it's organized. Would that be feasible with our forum connection id's ? Actually would that possible on these forums ? By extending them and allowing pdf file sending, and the clergy would verify the pdfs so we don't get all sorts of random spam ? You could also allow pdf sending manually only to pre approved people who are doing translations to avoid any spam by new troll accounts.
The other option is sending everything to one clergy member that would collect them but it is gonna be difficult on their end, once multiple languages and multiple translators are involved sending them small parts there will be a lot of organizing and verifications to do. If we could upload to a central hub or subforum (after clergy verification of pdfs) it would be much easier to organize things.

By the way a way to add folders (and not only single pdfs) would be a must if we get some kind of central translation hub.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back