Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Satan's Library: 2023 Major Update

Great work everyone, I'm very happy we got the documents from the old forums on to Satan's library.

Jrvan [Library Chief said:
" post_id=429892 time=1678581980 user_id=46372]
I can look over Jake Carlson's PDFs after the ritual schedule concludes, and make any notes if I find something questionable.
Wonderful, thank you!

Thank you to all people who contributed to this, it's so much easier know to search for articles that you want now!

Thank you brothers and sisters for such an important work. May the Gods bless you all

This is incredible, now we have fully built-in functionality for searching the data we need, and the sheer amount of the information there is has become really vast. It truly "feels" like a Library worthy of the Gods now. I give my most heartfelt congratulations to those who have helped with even one brick's worth of contribution to this grand proverbial temple.

I have one question. Is there a way to easily download everything? Especially as the Library keeps getting updated, it would be a good idea to have our people take regular offline archives. I know there were "unofficial" downloadable versions created in the past but having such a thing up there on the site and updated at least semi-regularly would be a boon.

Maybe, a download manager app would also work though.

" post_id=429892 time=1678581980 user_id=46372]
Soaring Eagle 666 [JG said:
" post_id=429866 time=1678575746 user_id=346]
" post_id=429858 time=1678572755 user_id=46372]

I can look over Jake Carlson's PDFs after the ritual schedule concludes, and make any notes if I find something questionable.

That's a good point about the archives.

I've read Ben Klassen's "Nature's Eternal Religion." I think it's solid introductory reading for understanding the JQ, and I can totally understand why Maxine referenced his work. 1984 should be read by everyone in this era at least once in their life, in my opinion. I think these help provide a framework, and it's definitely good to supply this. But yes, not quite there as far as Satanism.

Great, thank you both. I have a hard copy of Nature's Eternal Religion, and agree it is reliable work and an important influence on many of Maxine's founding ideas and principles.

OuroborphicMystery said:
This is incredible, now we have fully built-in functionality for searching the data we need, and the sheer amount of the information there is has become really vast. It truly "feels" like a Library worthy of the Gods now. I give my most heartfelt congratulations to those who have helped with even one brick's worth of contribution to this grand proverbial temple.

I have one question. Is there a way to easily download everything? Especially as the Library keeps getting updated, it would be a good idea to have our people take regular offline archives. I know there were "unofficial" downloadable versions created in the past but having such a thing up there on the site and updated at least semi-regularly would be a boon.

Thank you. :)

In the past we had regularly posted a "All PDFs Complete - ZIP". I am considering ways to automate this. Probably one of the following:
  • A single button for us to regenerate the ZIP.
  • An automatic scheduled task for regenerating the ZIP every day something has been changed.
  • Providing a program that automatically downloads whatever the current library files are.

Meanwhile, you can use HTTrack to download the whole library.

AsraArdwulfLeberecht said:
There were times during this project when I thought it'd never be completed, but with the help of everyone in this beautiful team it is now done. Thanks to all of you.

We have to make it very clear that all of you worked tirelessly on that extremely difficult project. You have outdone yourselves. You are all appreciated.

" post_id=430023 time=1678641905 user_id=346]

In the past we had regularly posted a "All PDFs Complete - ZIP". I am considering ways to automate this. Probably one of the following:
  • An automatic scheduled task for regenerating the ZIP every day something has been changed.
  • Providing a program that automatically downloads whatever the current library files are.

For this we can develop a small system using JSZip and FileSaver. So users can easily download all PDFs as Zip with a click of a button.

I haven't written the code yet, but I did a little experiment and it seems to work without any problems. When I do a full test, I will send a mail about it. If you haven't worked on this yet, we can quickly solve the problem.

A big thank you for all the members that partecipated in this project.

It is wonderful that all the knowledge can be easily found in a single place and searched word by word.

May Satan and the Gods bless you all!!!

Hail Satan!!

Spine said:

For this we can develop a small system using JSZip and FileSaver. So users can easily download all PDFs as Zip with a click of a button.

I haven't written the code yet, but I did a little experiment and it seems to work without any problems. When I do a full test, I will send a mail about it. If you haven't worked on this yet, we can quickly solve the problem.
Thanks, but actually I've already written an interface to zip files in PHP. The question here is, what's the best way of keeping the ZIP up-to-date, and what's the best user interface for people.

Obviously the server can't generate a new zip for every user who clicks the button. That would be waaaay too much computation time (we don't have Google's budget), so it will need to cache a zip file to serve.

" post_id=430080 time=1678672588 user_id=346]
Spine said:

Thanks, but actually I've already written an interface to zip files in PHP. The question here is, what's the best way of keeping the ZIP up-to-date, and what's the best user interface for people.

Obviously the server can't generate a new zip for every user who clicks the button. That would be waaaay too much computation time (we don't have Google's budget), so it will need to cache a zip file to serve.
If you already have such a work, then there is no need for me to do this.

The system I wrote works for small files, but there are currently 2117 PDFs on the site and trying to process all these files with JS gives errors and is not efficient.

I have to download it in parts or wait a while to download it as a single Zip. It would have been a terrible choice in terms of UX.

So I stopped working on it.

Like you said, as for keeping the Zip up to date, you could create a new file every night with all the PDFs (like the XenForo Cron system) and have every member download the same file, which is probably the first thing that comes to mind and the most optimal.

Spine said:
" post_id=430080 time=1678672588 user_id=346]
Spine said:

If you already have such a work, then there is no need for me to do this.

The system I wrote works for small files, but there are currently 2117 PDFs on the site and trying to process all these files with JS gives errors and is not efficient.

I have to download it in parts or wait a while to download it as a single Zip. It would have been a terrible choice in terms of UX.

So I stopped working on it.

Like you said, as for keeping the Zip up to date, you could create a new file every night with all the PDFs (like the XenForo Cron system) and have every member download the same file, which is probably the first thing that comes to mind and the most optimal.
The complete PDF zip is now posted:
[ZIP] Complete Satan's Library - All PDFs [510 MB]

It will be updated automatically whenever the PDF contents are changed. There will also be a log page soon that shows all updates to the library, so people can be informed of what's new, and when they might want to re-download the zip.

The MP3s and videos are 5GB and rapidly increasing, so that is impractical to provide as a direct zip. Instead, there will be a highly compressed version that is provided in a zip for people who need the entire library offline.

OuroborphicMystery said:

Perhaps I am remembering those ZIP archives then. Either way, solution #1 would be the most streamlined for the end user, #2 would be great after setting it up, #3 sounds incredible but may be non-ideal for people with little privacy on their hands. But they all would take care of the issue. I wish I could help in another way than cheering you on. But either way, good luck and thank you again for this literal treasure trove.

" post_id=430326 time=1678776655 user_id=346]

It will be updated automatically whenever the PDF contents are changed. There will also be a log page soon that shows all updates to the library, so people can be informed of what's new, and when they might want to re-download the zip.

The MP3s and videos are 5GB and rapidly increasing, so that is impractical to provide as a direct zip. Instead, there will be a highly compressed version that is provided in a zip for people who need the entire library offline.
Are you interested in redesigning the entire site, reworking the core HTML, CSS and JS according to current technological standards?

I realize that you want to make optimal use of time and workforce, so adding new features instead of changing something that already works is probably a better choice for you, since you are essentially a (probably back-end) developer.

I'm essentially a UI/UX designer and front-end developer, this way I'm actually fulfilling my job, my purpose. We've talked about this before for another project, it's been delayed in my schedule because of my daily busyness, but it's on my mind.

Spine said:
Are you interested in redesigning the entire site, reworking the core HTML, CSS and JS according to current technological standards?

I realize that you want to make optimal use of time and workforce, so adding new features instead of changing something that already works is probably a better choice for you, since you are essentially a (probably back-end) developer.

I'm essentially a UI/UX designer and front-end developer, this way I'm actually fulfilling my job, my purpose. We've talked about this before for another project, it's been delayed in my schedule because of my daily busyness, but it's on my mind.
I aimed for a balance between new and old web standards.

The goal for the JoS is compatibility first and foremost, and then "modern" only after that. In addition to the usual features of being responsive for phones and tablets, you will notice that the Library works perfectly in nearly every browser you try, even back to Internet Explorer 9. So the 28 million people who still use Internet Explorer will still be able to browse Satan's Library!

The one feature the Library still needs is accessibility, because although I have years of experience writing websites, I still need to learn about ARIA because it simply wasn't relevant for the types of video game or graphical editor sites I've written for non-JoS purposes.

As I said before, if you want to spend time making a demo page of ideas you have, we will certainly look at it and keep it in mind, but I can't promise that your time will be well-spent.

In general, I dislike modern layouts because they are much worse at actually displaying the information. They cater to the simple mentality of people, who can't understand more than a few things on the screen at once. (No offense intended, but that's my opinion.)

Also, I'm curious, what do you mean by redesigning the JavaScript to current technological standards? What difference does that make to the end user? In my experience, the older the better for JavaScript, if it can accomplish the same tasks without using new features that break compatibility.

Spine said:

If I may intrude, I believe the extra lines of code will vastly increase the costs of maintaining the websites atm because there are hundreds of pages. And JOS right shouldn't waste financial resources to make information pretty.

ramses13th said:
Spine said:

If I may intrude, I believe the extra lines of code will vastly increase the costs of maintaining the websites atm because there are hundreds of pages. And JOS right shouldn't waste financial resources to make information pretty.
This is also true, if we are talking about the entire JoS website, and not just the Library. (For the Library the majority of code size is the links themselves.)

Right now the JoS is entirely static HTML pages, which is the maximum possible efficiency.

There is still room for improvement within that, and I do have some ideas like a menu bar and search function, and navigation pane for all JoS pages, but you're right. Any extreme modernization, like to add a framework or server-side page generation would be a huge hit to efficiency. And it's not necessary, since the JoS is not like a blog or a news site. The JoS is like an ancient grimoire, as a website.

HPS Maxine has always been very strict about not tampering with the Joy of Satan's style. The main JoS page layout should be kept modern only as much as is needed to avoid repulsing new people. For example, HPS Maxine decided in 2016 to change the red font to light blue, because red is hard to read on phone screens. The old red style was better, but that change was necessary to modernize. In contrast, other changes, like flashy in-your-face animations or pop-ups, or half-scrolling sidebars, etc, are clearly out. Those types of modern features are designed to make you click, and distract you from the substandard content you're reading.

But the Library has a bit more leeway, because it is unlike any other JoS page where you simply have a text article to read. It has a lot of dynamic code anyway, so there is more room for modernization there.

Thank you everyone! The update is really cool, especially the content search. I already found a bunch of long-lost writings that I've wanted to re-read! :D

I hope you don't get so much DDoS that you have to captcha it. I know from my tech years that searching the full text is expensive.

Btw, it works great on my phone too! I see you fixed the previous update where the text got all pushed over to the left and was really tiny.

Although I'm new here, I have used it (so much information), and haven't been disappointed once when looking up information. I'm totally blown away! This is a game winner!

The Gods will bless all involved in this mammoth project!

Wonderful work Brothers and Sister's. I have noticed this change in Father's Library and thought I was going crazy for a sec. LOL. It looks great. But once again Father's Satanic Blessing's to all.

HAIL SATAN!
HAIL Victory!!

Great effort, Brother. I'm pleased to see the Demon rites there as well; it looks very contemporary and clean. Thank you very much to Jrvan, the admins, and the contributions as well[/url]

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back