Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Opposite Placements in Astrology ??

tabby

Blitzkreig [JG said:
" user_id=21286]

I've been meaning to ask you about what happens to the energies of natal placements if a planet is an opposite element to the sign it is in; water to fire, earth to air. I'm confused as to how this affects the element nature of a placement, and its expression in a person. Is one still dominant in an element if it is paired with an opposite placement, or does that change?

Something else that you've brought to my attention is that, maybe I'm just getting caught up in details, but if one is lacking in an element but has the element in a strong placement, can it compensate for not having many placements of that element?

I think you mentioned something some time back about opposite placements but I can't remember well.

tabby said:
Blitzkreig [JG said:
" user_id=21286]

I've been meaning to ask you about what happens to the energies of natal placements if a planet is an opposite element to the sign it is in; water to fire, earth to air. I'm confused as to how this affects the element nature of a placement, and its expression in a person. Is one still dominant in an element if it is paired with an opposite placement, or does that change?

Something else that you've brought to my attention is that, maybe I'm just getting caught up in details, but if one is lacking in an element but has the element in a strong placement, can it compensate for not having many placements of that element?

I think you mentioned something some time back about opposite placements but I can't remember well.

I think it is better to evaluate each planet separately, rather than trying to calculate the elemental composition of an individual.

In general, having strange signs on a planet will alter how it operates. Additionally, aspects will have a similar influence, either hurting or helping. There isn't an easy way to quantify this, but you don't really have to.

One reason that I would look at the planet and sign specifically is that sometimes a planet may operate well in a sign that has a different element. A good example is Mars, which has its home sign in Aries (fire), its co-ruled sign in Scorpio (water), and its exalted sign in Capricorn (earth).

Another example is Mercury, which rules both Gemini (air) and Virgo (earth). As you may know, Virgo is a mutable placement, which makes sense why Mercury rules that and not Taurus.

The signs reflect "How" the planet operates. Despite the sign placement, the planet still represents a certain element in the soul. Having your Sun in Pisces does not mean it is the same as the planet of Neptune itself.

--------------

Yes, a single strong planet can compensate. If you had only 1 planet in a fire sign, such as a Sun in Aries, this would give you "better" fire characteristics than Neptune in Aries or the Moon in Aries (or both).

In this same case, the aspects also matter. If the Sun is aspected by Mars, even if Mars is in a non-fire sign, this will strengthen your soul's fire. On the contrary, if the Sun is aspected by Neptune, this will weaken it. Yet, the number of planets in each elemental category is still the same in both cases.

Also, even though two planets or signs may both represent the same element, they still do separate things. If your Sun is weak, but your Mars is strong, then you may still have some confidence issues, for example, because these planets represent separate areas of the soul.

Therefore, I think it is better to evaluate each planet separately. Try to analyze the strength of each planet individually, based on its sign, degrees, and aspects to it. If a planet is afflicted in some way, then you know you will have some problem to deal with, regardless of whether an element is represented strongly in your soul or not.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back