Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Newbie Help on Astrology.

Drex

Hello. I’m new to Astrology and I’m trying to learn as much as I can about Astrology.

I’ve read some pages on the Jos Astrology doc. But there are still things I dont understand.

I don’t completely understand Aspects. I think it means two forces or two planets working together to create a unique outcome? But I’m not sure.

For example I think Saturn in Conjunction with Mercury could be a period of bad communication. However I’m not an expert, I’m still learning to figure this out.

What do aspects like Squares, Oppositions, Conjunctions, Trines, Sextiles, etc mean?

Please help! And Thank you!

Hi there!!

I use this information to understand aspects, I hope it is correct and any advanced astrologer may correct me, thanks!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_aspect

Aspects are when 2 planets make a connection to eachother mathematically in the sky, with the degrees as the measuring units for such a connection. The energies of the planets do rub off and influence the affairs of one another yes, with some being more "dominating" over others and influencing different features of one's soul and personality. The affairs pertaining to each planet can be read on Azazel's Astrology https://satanisgod.org/www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/Planetary_Rulerships.html
As well as the effects of the aspect as I'm sure you've read over.

All aspects suggest that the energies of of the planets are influencing one another, each planet up to Saturn are the personal planets which rule over core facets of the human soul. The outer planets rule over less core things. All aspects suggest a connection between two otherwise separate areas of ones soul. Supposedly conjunctions suggest that the affairs of the planets are most deeply and intrinsically connected with one another. One with a Sun/Venus, the ego is inseparable from the love and desire for beauty which is why it is vain intrinsically. Moon/Mars, the emotional center is conjunct and inseparable from the anger and passion center, making one a hothead inherently. They also make it so that the affairs of the houses either planet rule are inseparable too. With other types of aspects the dynamic is less strong as the planets have more give from eachother, but there is still a connection in the energies. As for each aspect I'll list them out for you and explain how they work in the maths terms.

A conjunction is when one planet and another are in alignment in the sky. So for example a Moon/Venus conjunction would be the Moon in a specific degree of a sign, and Venus would be on the same degree in the same sign. Venus is "behind" the Moon in relation to Earth. They are aligned with one another. The degree of this aspect is 0' and range is -10'-10' with 0' being most tightest.

An opposition is when both planets are at either side of ours. They are opposed, with the Earth in between in exactitude. The Moon could be in 4' of Gemini and Venus 4' of Sagittarius which would be most exact. Gemini and Sagittarius oppose one another in the sky, so that is how you can tell an opposition. The degree of this is 180' as in the 180' of a semi circle(Venus and Moon 180' separated from eachother). It is the opposite of the 0' of a conjunction and instead on the opposite of the conjunction point, or 180'. The range therefore is 170'-190'. If Moon remains in 4' and Venus is now in 7', they would still be opposing with a 3' orb or give, at a 183' opposition as it is within the 10' orb range. With an opposition, Earth always has to be in the middle, in between the two planets.

A trine is when a planet forms a 120' aspect to the other planet, which is a triangular one. This puts either planet in the same element the majority of the time. The Moon could be in Aries and Venus in Leo at say 20 degrees each. Either could also be in Sagittarius the other fire sign, at 20'. This would form an exact trine. If you look at the groupings of signs by their element, you will see they all form a triangle with one another. A trine can only happen if this is the case. The aspect range is 110'-130'
*one way to help you remember it might be that 120' is 1+2 which is 3. Only trines/triangles can be 3 and there are only 3 signs to each element*

A sextile aspect is the half equivalent of the trine just like the opposition is to the conjunction. The degree here is 60' and range 50'-70' (although it is debated whether sextiles are a tad weaker and have a range under 10' like 6' which would make it 54'-74'). These are only in the second sign before or following from the one the planet in question is in, so Moon in Aquarius could make this aspect either to a Venus in Aries or a Venus in Sagittarius. A Moon in Cancer could make this aspect to a Venus in Taurus or a Venus in Virgo. If you go by masculine and feminine, unlike the trine where it can only be from the same element, with the sextile it can only be the other element within the same gender. Moon in the Feminine watery Cancer can only make a sextile aspect to the 2 feminine Earth signs adjacent to it, Taurus and Virgo. For Aquarius it's the same but for the Masculine, fire specifically(as Aquarius is Air). If the Moon were in the masculine Leo then it would have Air sextile aspects instead: Gemini and Libra

A square aspect is the right angle: the 90' aspect. It is like the understanding of the conjunction and opposition in that it's straight, and falls on the axis rather than triangular or the two adjacent sides. 90' is half of 180' and like the opposition things regarding this are more level again. The difference is that instead of the Moon and Venus being in alignment, they are not- but instead are drawing the first 2 lines of a square exactly, from the centre of the chart/Earth. Imagine Earth as the corner of this square. An example of this would be the Moon in Cancer and Venus in Libra, both Cancer and Libra are 90' from eachother or 4 signs away. 90x4=360' which represents the entire sphere of the chart, 90' is the quarter or square point, the horizontal axis. The range for this is 80'-100', 90' being the most acute corner of the square and critical.
*Get a zodiac wheel up on your screen now, and find Cancer and Libra. Draw your finger from the center of the wheel to Cancer, and then go back to the centre. Move your finger there towards Libra in roughly the same spot within Libra. You just made a square aspect. Cancer and Libra are the rulers of the Moon and Venus, them being as they are ties into how the Moon and Venus operate and articulate themselves, which you can now observe.*

These are the major aspects.

There are also minor aspects which have degree ranges from -2' to 2' whatever the situation. There are half squares (45'), semi-sextiles(30'/the next sign over exact), inconjunct aspects(150'/most removed sign from the planet) Sesi-quadrates(135'), Quintiles(72') and Bi-Quintiles(144'). These are very specific and don't apply much to the natal chart but can be very crucial in transiting and predictive charts as they signify events. In natal charts if they are exact under half a degree they can indicate some influence on the natal person, but above one degree all it is important for is signifying patterns which are only useful for predictive astrology. A Bi-quintile bang on 144' between both planets could have some personal indications natally, but not if it was 143' or 145' for example. It still counts in predictive terms though.

I Hope that helps you :)

https://ancient-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=37907 *

Born on a new Moon? - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSwxYkTo-GU

13th_Wolf said:
Aspects are when 2 planets make a connection to eachother mathematically in the sky, with the degrees as the measuring units for such a connection. The energies of the planets do rub off and influence the affairs of one another yes, with some being more "dominating" over others and influencing different features of one's soul and personality. The affairs pertaining to each planet can be read on Azazel's Astrology https://satanisgod.org/www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/Planetary_Rulerships.html
As well as the effects of the aspect as I'm sure you've read over.

All aspects suggest that the energies of of the planets are influencing one another, each planet up to Saturn are the personal planets which rule over core facets of the human soul. The outer planets rule over less core things. All aspects suggest a connection between two otherwise separate areas of ones soul. Supposedly conjunctions suggest that the affairs of the planets are most deeply and intrinsically connected with one another. One with a Sun/Venus, the ego is inseparable from the love and desire for beauty which is why it is vain intrinsically. Moon/Mars, the emotional center is conjunct and inseparable from the anger and passion center, making one a hothead inherently. They also make it so that the affairs of the houses either planet rule are inseparable too. With other types of aspects the dynamic is less strong as the planets have more give from eachother, but there is still a connection in the energies. As for each aspect I'll list them out for you and explain how they work in the maths terms.

A conjunction is when one planet and another are in alignment in the sky. So for example a Moon/Venus conjunction would be the Moon in a specific degree of a sign, and Venus would be on the same degree in the same sign. Venus is "behind" the Moon in relation to Earth. They are aligned with one another. The degree of this aspect is 0' and range is -10'-10' with 0' being most tightest.

An opposition is when both planets are at either side of ours. They are opposed, with the Earth in between in exactitude. The Moon could be in 4' of Gemini and Venus 4' of Sagittarius which would be most exact. Gemini and Sagittarius oppose one another in the sky, so that is how you can tell an opposition. The degree of this is 180' as in the 180' of a semi circle(Venus and Moon 180' separated from eachother). It is the opposite of the 0' of a conjunction and instead on the opposite of the conjunction point, or 180'. The range therefore is 170'-190'. If Moon remains in 4' and Venus is now in 7', they would still be opposing with a 3' orb or give, at a 183' opposition as it is within the 10' orb range. With an opposition, Earth always has to be in the middle, in between the two planets.

A trine is when a planet forms a 120' aspect to the other planet, which is a triangular one. This puts either planet in the same element the majority of the time. The Moon could be in Aries and Venus in Leo at say 20 degrees each. Either could also be in Sagittarius the other fire sign, at 20'. This would form an exact trine. If you look at the groupings of signs by their element, you will see they all form a triangle with one another. A trine can only happen if this is the case. The aspect range is 110'-130'
*one way to help you remember it might be that 120' is 1+2 which is 3. Only trines/triangles can be 3 and there are only 3 signs to each element*

A sextile aspect is the half equivalent of the trine just like the opposition is to the conjunction. The degree here is 60' and range 50'-70' (although it is debated whether sextiles are a tad weaker and have a range under 10' like 6' which would make it 54'-74'). These are only in the second sign before or following from the one the planet in question is in, so Moon in Aquarius could make this aspect either to a Venus in Aries or a Venus in Sagittarius. A Moon in Cancer could make this aspect to a Venus in Taurus or a Venus in Virgo. If you go by masculine and feminine, unlike the trine where it can only be from the same element, with the sextile it can only be the other element within the same gender. Moon in the Feminine watery Cancer can only make a sextile aspect to the 2 feminine Earth signs adjacent to it, Taurus and Virgo. For Aquarius it's the same but for the Masculine, fire specifically(as Aquarius is Air). If the Moon were in the masculine Leo then it would have Air sextile aspects instead: Gemini and Libra

A square aspect is the right angle: the 90' aspect. It is like the understanding of the conjunction and opposition in that it's straight, and falls on the axis rather than triangular or the two adjacent sides. 90' is half of 180' and like the opposition things regarding this are more level again. The difference is that instead of the Moon and Venus being in alignment, they are not- but instead are drawing the first 2 lines of a square exactly, from the centre of the chart/Earth. Imagine Earth as the corner of this square. An example of this would be the Moon in Cancer and Venus in Libra, both Cancer and Libra are 90' from eachother or 4 signs away. 90x4=360' which represents the entire sphere of the chart, 90' is the quarter or square point, the horizontal axis. The range for this is 80'-100', 90' being the most acute corner of the square and critical.
*Get a zodiac wheel up on your screen now, and find Cancer and Libra. Draw your finger from the center of the wheel to Cancer, and then go back to the centre. Move your finger there towards Libra in roughly the same spot within Libra. You just made a square aspect. Cancer and Libra are the rulers of the Moon and Venus, them being as they are ties into how the Moon and Venus operate and articulate themselves, which you can now observe.*

These are the major aspects.

There are also minor aspects which have degree ranges from -2' to 2' whatever the situation. There are half squares (45'), semi-sextiles(30'/the next sign over exact), inconjunct aspects(150'/most removed sign from the planet) Sesi-quadrates(135'), Quintiles(72') and Bi-Quintiles(144'). These are very specific and don't apply much to the natal chart but can be very crucial in transiting and predictive charts as they signify events. In natal charts if they are exact under half a degree they can indicate some influence on the natal person, but above one degree all it is important for is signifying patterns which are only useful for predictive astrology. A Bi-quintile bang on 144' between both planets could have some personal indications natally, but not if it was 143' or 145' for example. It still counts in predictive terms though.

I Hope that helps you :)

This was very very helpful thank you so much!!

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back