Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Quick Question on Pronunciation

Malpirgi Zodinu

When pronouncing "Shukraya", are the S and H separate, or are they pronounced like in sugar?
Is it "SS-HH-UU-KK-RR-AA-YY-AA" or "SH-UU-KK-RR-AA-YY-AA"?

In Sanskrit, Shukra is written like this: शुक्र. The actual translitteration would be this: Śukra, and the letter you asked is pronounced like in Sugar. Shiva is also Śiva. The 'ya' in the ending is the Dative case, translating into "to Śukra".

Stormblood said:
In Sanskrit, Shukra is written like this: शुक्र. The actual translitteration would be this: Śukra, and the letter you asked is pronounced like in Sugar. Shiva is also Śiva. The 'ya' in the ending is the Dative case, translating into "to Śukra".

Many thanks Stormbro.
Can you read and speak Sanskrit?!?
I have to say I'm impressed and jealous... ;)

How many languages do you speak? Italian, English, Sanskrit...what else? Est-ce que tu parles français?

Malpirgi Zodinu said:
Stormblood said:

Many thanks Stormbro.

How many languages do you speak? Italian, English, Sanskrit...what else? Est-ce que tu parles français?

I'm studying Sanskrit pronunciation through books. The first book I read is Mantra Yoga and the Primal Sound by David Frawley (Vamadevi Shastri) and it goes in-depth about the alphabet and the significance of each letter (they have 50 letters) and what role they play in the construction of mantras. I do not speak Sanskrit and neither can I read its unique alphabet. I'm sure the HPs know a lot more than I do on the subject, both because of their awareness and the fact they started their studies much earlier than me. I wanted to link the audio recordings for the Venus square, but I couldn't find them on Satan's library.

I only speak Italian, English and some Spanish. I'm studying German. I can understand some French but I don't speak it, to answer to your second question. The situation with Portuguese is similar to French, but Portuguese is easier since it's very similar to Italian and Spanish. I understand some Romanian as well, because my stepmother is from Romania. Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Romanian all belong to the same branch of the Indo-European family.

My language skills are most likely due to the stellium I have in Sagittarius. But thank you.

AncientShadow666 said:
niceee :D do you come from india so you know these things or do you learn it because you like it?

I'm learning languages because I like them. My fascination with all languages except Arabic and Hebrew is probably something that will stick forever.

Stormblood said:
Malpirgi Zodinu said:
Stormblood said:

Many thanks Stormbro.

I'm studying Sanskrit pronunciation through books. The first book I read is Mantra Yoga and the Primal Sound by David Frawley (Vamadevi Shastri) and it goes in-depth about the alphabet and the significance of each letter (they have 50 letters) and what role they play in the construction of mantras. I do not speak Sanskrit and neither can I read its unique alphabet. I'm sure the HPs know a lot more than I do on the subject, both because of their awareness and the fact they started their studies much earlier than me. I wanted to link the audio recordings for the Venus square, but I couldn't find them on Satan's library.

I only speak Italian, English and some Spanish. I'm studying German. I can understand some French but I don't speak it, to answer to your second question. The situation with Portuguese is similar to French, but Portuguese is easier since it's very similar to Italian and Spanish. I understand some Romanian as well, because my stepmother is from Romania. Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, French and Romanian all belong to the same branch of the Indo-European family.

My language skills are most likely due to the stellium I have in Sagittarius. But thank you.

AncientShadow666 said:
niceee :D do you come from india so you know these things or do you learn it because you like it?

I'm learning languages because I like them. My fascination with all languages except Arabic and Hebrew is probably something that will stick forever.

I love languages too. I even made up my own when I was younger. You know what's kind of cool, my word for the Moon was "Deon"....pretty close to Demon.
Yeah, the reason I asked here is I couldn't find it on the JOS audio mp3s either, and a post by a fellow member made me unsure about the pronunciation.
I know what you mean about Spanish and Italian, etc. I too find it easier to learn and understand these because of the familiarities.
I'm also learning German, albeit slowly. Next up is Sanskrit.
I also dabble with Japanese, just because I find it interesting...

Saluti amico!

Stormblood said:

we have a lot in common.... i speak: croatian, german, english, spanish, polish
i also have extreme love for learning languages, and many more languages await me, i bought books for latvian, danish, swedish, finnish and french, i can read latvian and finnish but to understand those will take time, and yes, the same exception for me: hebrew and arab are disgusting for me... to be honest i dont like turkish language either but i dont hate it, it just i am currently residing in germany and i see turkish people everywhere so i just cant listen to it anymore...

Stormblood said:
I dabbled with Japanese in the past. Let's say... nearly 8 years ago. I still remember pronunciation and some words, but nothing else.
I got some interest in the Japanese language too when I was at high school because of watching anime series.

AncientShadow666 said:
Stormblood said:

i also have extreme love for learning languages, and many more languages await me, i bought books for latvian, danish, swedish, finnish and french, i can read latvian and finnish but to understand those will take time, and yes, the same exception for me: hebrew and arab are disgusting for me... to be honest i dont like turkish language either but i dont hate it, it just i am currently residing in germany and i see turkish people everywhere so i just cant listen to it anymore...

If you speak those five languages fluently, then you already speak more languages than I do. I'd love to learn danish, swedish and finnish as well, but the languages I'd like to learn the most are: Gaeilge, Gaidhlig and Cymraeg.

Stormblood said:
AncientShadow666 said:
Stormblood said:

If you speak those five languages fluently, then you already speak more languages than I do. I'd love to learn danish, swedish and finnish as well, but the languages I'd like to learn the most are: Gaeilge, Gaidhlig and Cymraeg.

never heard of them... what are those or from what nations do they originate?

AncientShadow666 said:
Stormblood said:

Gaeilge is the Irish language. While still taught in schools, it's not the official language of Ireland. Many Irish people of the new generation, especially those in the East of Ireland, think of it as a nuisance, instead of a reason for National pride. But that's not unknown in the Jewish world after all, where there is relentless work to destroy cultural and national identities. The Irish people had it very rough, though, because of the British domination. Under British rule, their language was outlawed and speaking it or being suspected of speaking it would have resulted in a death sentence.

Gaidhlig is one of the Scottish languages. It's even less spoken than Gaeilge and they don't even teach it in Scottish schools, as far as I know.

Cymraeg is the Welsh language, in danger of extinction like many other language.

My love for the idea of speaking them comes from my fascination with Celtic pre-Xian lore and mythology, as well as my fondness with the Isle of the Blest and, in minor form, with the Isle of the Mighty.

Stormblood said:
AncientShadow666 said:
Stormblood said:

Gaeilge is the Irish language. While still taught in schools, it's not the official language of Ireland. Many Irish people of the new generation, especially those in the East of Ireland, think of it as a nuisance, instead of a reason for National pride. But that's not unknown in the Jewish world after all, where there is relentless work to destroy cultural and national identities. The Irish people had it very rough, though, because of the British domination. Under British rule, their language was outlawed and speaking it or being suspected of speaking it would have resulted in a death sentence.

Gaidhlig is one of the Scottish languages. It's even less spoken than Gaeilge and they don't even teach it in Scottish schools, as far as I know.

Cymraeg is the Welsh language, in danger of extinction like many other language.

My love for the idea of speaking them comes from my fascination with Celtic pre-Xian lore and mythology, as well as my fondness with the Isle of the Blest and, in minor form, with the Isle of the Mighty.

Those languages are beautiful. There's a website where you can listen to people speaking different languages, I don't recall the name, and I remember listening to a woman speaking Gaeilge and actually getting chills...

i love ALL european languages even if there is a language that only 100 people speak i would learn it :cool: i always asked myself if irish people, scotts and waelsh even speak their own languages, because you only hear them speak english but in a bit different accent... good to know, i will try to find some sources to learn these aswell

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back