Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Looking for astrological formulae

Pirate11

Howdy, friends of the Astrology sub-forum?
I started having the hobby of programming, and I already made the Final RTR UNIX Tool in C.
I would like to make a program that calculates the planets position (first) and then all the astrological things of relevance.
I am looking for mathematical formulae for calculating planet positions and such things. So it will be great if you could share in this topic any website (also books!) that contains such (or related) info :)

Hello.
This is quite an old post, but here there is an interesting link:

https://www.astro.com/swisseph/swephprg.htm

These are the functions used by the site Astrodients, a very famous astrology site.

These are open source, so if you want to see the formula that they are using , you can see the implementation.

HH

Hidden Warrior said:
Hello.
This is quite an old post, but here there is an interesting link:

https://www.astro.com/swisseph/swephprg.htm

These are the functions used by the site Astrodients, a very famous astrology site.

These are open source, so if you want to see the formula that they are using , you can see the implementation.

HH

Sheesh, thank you brother. I was actually thinking about this recently.

If someone is interested, I have almost finished my project about a web site for astrological services, like natal chart calculator, ecc... for now I am doing only natal chart.

I know there are a lot of similar sites, but I wanted to build one for the Joy of Satan ministries, and to add/create tools useful for readings, with other experts SS suggestions.

It will be open source, hosted on Github (owned by Microsoft, so I know it can disappear ). When I will clean and organize it more I will make it accessible by others.

For the devs, I used PHP for the backend, with Laravel framework, and Javascript with Vue.js as a framework for the frontend. I used Swephp package for the astrological calculations.

HH

Hidden Warrior said:
If someone is interested, I have almost finished my project about a web site for astrological services, like natal chart calculator, ecc... for now I am doing only natal chart.

I know there are a lot of similar sites, but I wanted to build one for the Joy of Satan ministries, and to add/create tools useful for readings, with other experts SS suggestions.

It will be open source, hosted on Github (owned by Microsoft, so I know it can disappear ). When I will clean and organize it more I will make it accessible by others.

For the devs, I used PHP for the backend, with Laravel framework, and Javascript with Vue.js as a framework for the frontend. I used Swephp package for the astrological calculations.

HH

I'll save it for you when you post it on Github just in case it needs to be rehosted, although I am only just getting into computer programming myself. This is great work.

I was wondering if you found any discrepancies within Astrodienst's calculating process while programming which you rectified? It would be interesting to see if we could have our own version of an opensource Astrology program even a bit better than what is currently provided to the mainstream public.

There are also other features in charts and such which haven't been covered properly yet such as the descriptions and interpretations of each of the 36 decans, or the meaning of ascendants or specific house cusps like the 5th house, within a certain sign or even the cusp within a decan of a certain sign as well. Many many things, as vast as the details of programming itself lol. I think both programming and astrology sort of go well together in that respect, but with either of them one needs to be more emotionally pliable or fixed while writing up stuff for either- and capable of both of those qualities if writing for both.

Writing it with PHP is a brilliant idea considering the forum is also in PHP, this means it could link with the forum directly or even provide a database for the HP's of SS charts. Of course it would need top security measures and people watching it constantly to prevent breaches, but even then you could just skip it- maybe just have an copy and autodelete system which drafts the chart for the person so they can download the information, delete it and then have it only on their own computer system.

This type of thing would make the functions of the forum feel more integrated together and community-like. A platform for other things than astrology too down the line. SS Palmistry and Tarot card applications is one thing off the top of my head.

That's awesome dude

13th_Wolf said:
I was wondering if you found any discrepancies within Astrodienst's calculating process while programming which you rectified? It would be interesting to see if we could have our own version of an opensource Astrology program even a bit better than what is currently provided to the mainstream public.

I didn't put so much effort on the correctness of the planetary formulas; i just compared my results with some other astrology tools. The only thing that I noticed is when I was computing the positions of the planets, where the php function ask to specify a flag for using topocentric position ( position of the viewer ) or geocentric position (center of earth). By using one orthe other the position of the moon (and only the moon) change by 1/2 degrees. If I remember well astrodients use geocentric, because at first I was using topocentric position and the results were different.

There are also other features in charts and such which haven't been covered properly yet such as the descriptions and interpretations of each of the 36 decans, or the meaning of ascendants or specific house cusps like the 5th house, within a certain sign or even the cusp within a decan of a certain sign as well. Many many things, as vast as the details of programming itself lol. I think both programming and astrology sort of go well together in that respect, but with either of them one needs to be more emotionally pliable or fixed while writing up stuff for either- and capable of both of those qualities if writing for both.

Writing it with PHP is a brilliant idea considering the forum is also in PHP, this means it could link with the forum directly or even provide a database for the HP's of SS charts. Of course it would need top security measures and people watching it constantly to prevent breaches, but even then you could just skip it- maybe just have an copy and autodelete system which drafts the chart for the person so they can download the information, delete it and then have it only on their own computer system.

Yeah I was hoping that someone with more ideas and more experience would pop up. I will try to clean the project the more I can so it will be easier to understand and modify. The design is not my best field but i know that someone will do a better job. Of course I will be in the first line to implement other ideas, like the chart comparator, progressions , ecc...

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back