Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

What is the significance/Importance of the IC and MC in our Natal charts?

Ignisalas

Hello I have been a member of JoS since 2015 and I've been studying astrology and I have really good knowledge of the subject, but I was wondering what is the significance of the IC and MC in our charts? I haven't heard much about it from other members, and now that the yahoo groups are down, there not much info about these.

I don't want to give out too much detail about myself for obvious reasons, but I can say that I am a Leo ascendant, and my IC is in Scorpio, and my MC is in Taurus. I don't know too much about these house cusps, can anyone explain to me the importance of them and do the planets that rule these houses have any greater significance than the others like the chart ruler does? I have heard in the past that these have to do with fate, but im a bit confused about them. Thanks

If you use quadrant based house systems, the IC and MC will be the divisions that create the 4th and 10th houses. They're significant because they're part of the cardinal points in the natal chart, meaning that anything located or associated with it will have an increased amount of significance to the native. The effects of (a planet in) the cardinal houses are very forceful and noticeable.

These houses were also called pivots or hinges because they represent the height or a high point in the chart. If you follow the diurnal motion of the sky, it goes in clockwise position. A planet in a succedent house can be likened as a person climbing to reach to the peak, which are the cardinal points. Once these planets reach the peak, they are heightened and elevated. Then after the peak, they fall or decline, which are symbolized by the cadent houses; planets here represent a low energy state, and are weaker as a result.

The IC represents the ancestry, roots, grandparents, the father (or mother, depending on which system you follow); it rules the land, anything underground, the home, and the emotions surrounding it. It represents the foundations of our life. The IC was called the subterraneous place by the ancient Greeks. Since it is the lowest point of the Earth (opposite of the midheaven, the highest), it can also represent things that end. It also represents hidden things, as the MC represents the most public and outward things.

The MC represents the reputation, advancement, and occupation. Glory, honors, authority, popularity, prestige, and success. This house is the highest and most visible point of the chart, as it represents the highest point of the Sun's travel. This house represents our desires to achieve.

Any planets here color the meanings of the houses, and the sign that the cusps are on will color how the matters are manifested in the native's life. Planets that are conjunct the angle will be very noticeable.
While they may not be as significant as the chart ruler, they're up there of high importance.

If you want to start to interpret your house meaning, check to see if there are planets there. If not, then check to see where the rulers are and their conditions.

I have a planet conjunct mc Mc closely this both my planet and MC are Conjunct a prominent star within 2 degrees. Also My Chart ruler and Co Ruler are in the 10th house as well. All of this is in the same sign. What might it mean.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back