Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Meaning of Aspects

Soaring Eagle 666

I've been learning astrology, and I'm curious about the meaning of different aspects. I found the symbols in Azazel's Astrology for Conjunction, Sextile, Trine, etc, but I couldn't find the meaning of each one. I'm particularly interested in the Opposition because I have an orb 0 Jupiter/Mars opposition in my natal chart.

Most astrologers here would probably agree that it's the nature of the planets involved that determines the influence of the aspect. However, many oppositions in a chart seem to make for certain problems or challenges that needs to be overcome. Not always, but sometimes.

If you look at the 'Mars' page on Azazel's Astrology for Satanists and scroll down to Mars/Saturn aspects, you will see HPS Maxine mentioning that Mars/Saturn square/opposition/inconjunct aspects can give a tendency to having accidents. I have found this to be true. A Sun/Mars square, on the contrary, doesn't produce this influence. This is because of the planets involved, not because of the type of aspect.

I know someone who has the same opposition as you (also exact - although one more planet is conjunct Mars). This aspect gives assertiveness and high energy. It can also give impulsiveness. If any challenge or problem arises from this opposition, it would probably be a tendency to jump the gun in some cases, like being trigger happy in many areas of life, but primarily in the affairs of your life with Aries and Scorpio on their cusps. For example, having this aspect with Aries on the 2nd house cusp, one could have problems with impulsiveness in regards to money spending.

Nick Vabzircnila said:
Most astrologers here would probably agree that it's the nature of the planets involved that determines the influence of the aspect. However, many oppositions in a chart seem to make for certain problems or challenges that needs to be overcome. Not always, but sometimes.

If you look at the 'Mars' page on Azazel's Astrology for Satanists and scroll down to Mars/Saturn aspects, you will see HPS Maxine mentioning that Mars/Saturn square/opposition/inconjunct aspects can give a tendency to having accidents. I have found this to be true. A Sun/Mars square, on the contrary, doesn't produce this influence. This is because of the planets involved, not because of the type of aspect.

I know someone who has the same opposition as you (also exact - although one more planet is conjunct Mars). This aspect gives assertiveness and high energy. It can also give impulsiveness. If any challenge or problem arises from this opposition, it would probably be a tendency to jump the gun in some cases, like being trigger happy in many areas of life, but primarily in the affairs of your life with Aries and Scorpio on their cusps. For example, having this aspect with Aries on the 2nd house cusp, one could have problems with impulsiveness in regards to money spending.
Ah. That would explain why I can't find much general information about aspects. Is it the same for T-Squares? I know that yods can mean that someone is here for a purpose.

That's interesting about the Mars/Jupiter opposition. For me, I often flip-flop between extremely high energy and super tired, but I always have a lot of determination and willpower. My ascendant is Aries, and Mars is in Scorpio, so it does have a big influence on me.

Soaring Eagle 666 said:
Nick Vabzircnila said:

Ah. That would explain why I can't find much general information about aspects. Is it the same for T-Squares? I know that yods can mean that someone is here for a purpose.

That's interesting about the Mars/Jupiter opposition. For me, I often flip-flop between extremely high energy and super tired, but I always have a lot of determination and willpower. My ascendant is Aries, and Mars is in Scorpio, so it does have a big influence on me.

I'm not 100% sure about T-squares. But I would imagine the energy is less 'tense', as it's spread out more. It probably also depends on the modality of the signs.

Out of curiosity, do you have writing ability?

Ol argedco luciftias said:
Found this http://www.indigoray.net/aspects.html#square
Thanks. That matches my findings from other websites. It's just hard to be sure when the source isn't JoS.

Nick Vabzircnila said:
I'm not 100% sure about T-squares. But I would imagine the energy is less 'tense', as it's spread out more. It probably also depends on the modality of the signs.

Out of curiosity, do you have writing ability?
As a matter of fact, I do. I obsessively adhere to every grammatical rule (that I know) and my good memory has helped me build a large vocabulary. At times it can actually be a hindrance. For example, I spent over 20 minutes writing this post! As a programmer, I hate seeing "syntax errors" in my writing. :geek: :D

This sounds extremely anal, but technically conjunctions aren't an aspect.

Aspect comes from ancient theory of sending/emitting light, or hurling the light rays at a planet. An aspect is like seeing one another so they form a relationship that way, and touching them with their light.

A conjunction is a corporeal union, a merging of two bodies, so it's treated very differently than an actual aspect. They merge their light, and their natures mix and mingle.

For a quick cheatsheet of aspects, check this out. Thema Mundi has been used as a teaching tool.
Thema_Mundi.svg

Cancer is set to the ASC because of summer solstice, its when the King/Queen of the heavens dominate with it being the hottest part of the year.

Sun-Venus is a sextile. The nature of the sextile is Venus.
Sun-Mars is square, nature of a square is that of Mars.
Sun-Jupiter is a trine, the nature of a trine is that of Jupiter.
Sun-Saturn is the opposition, the nature of it is that of Saturn.

Similar schema with the moon.

94n said:
This sounds extremely anal, but technically conjunctions aren't an aspect.

Aspect comes from ancient theory of sending/emitting light, or hurling the light rays at a planet. An aspect is like seeing one another so they form a relationship that way, and touching them with their light.

A conjunction is a corporeal union, a merging of two bodies, so it's treated very differently than an actual aspect. They merge their light, and their natures mix and mingle.

For a quick cheatsheet of aspects, check this out. Thema Mundi has been used as a teaching tool.
Thema_Mundi.svg

Cancer is set to the ASC because of summer solstice, its when the King/Queen of the heavens dominate with it being the hottest part of the year.

Sun-Venus is a sextile. The nature of the sextile is Venus.
Sun-Mars is square, nature of a square is that of Mars.
Sun-Jupiter is a trine, the nature of a trine is that of Jupiter.
Sun-Saturn is the opposition, the nature of it is that of Saturn.

Similar schema with the moon.

Moon-Saturn = opposition..
The Sun-Saturn in your drawing is something like quin ... ? something with the number 5 I thought it was but I could be wrong.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
The Sun-Saturn in your drawing is something like quin ... ? something with the number 5 I thought it was but I could be wrong.

Sun - Saturn is still in opposition. Saturn rules Aquarius, the Sun's detriment. It's just not drawn, because it's symmetrical and assumed.

Same logic with the Moon.

94n said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

Sun - Saturn is still in opposition. Saturn rules Aquarius, the Sun's detriment. It's just not drawn, because it's symmetrical and assumed.

There's no opposition between them in the chart you gave. Opposition don't cover an entire sign of difference. In your chart you forgot Uranus, Neptune and Scoprio.

Stormblood said:
94n said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

There's no opposition between them in the chart you gave. Opposition don't cover an entire sign of difference. In your chart you forgot Uranus, Neptune and Scoprio.

Stormblood,

The person asked for the meaning of aspects so I gave them a historical context of their usage and how they came to be. They come from ancient optical theory. The aspects were also hinted at by a geometrical relationship of the planets in the Thema Mundi, if people were looking for a more cohesive structure of astrology.

The point of the thema mundi chart is that of its symmetry and structure. Each of the luminaries have a side, and the planets follow. Moon (in this nocturnal chart)- Gemini/Mercury, Taurus/Venus, Aries/Mars, Pisces/Jupiter, Aquarius/Saturn. The Sun opposes Saturn, the ruler of Aquarius. The Sun and the Moon is farthest away from Saturn, as it is their antithesis. Their relationship is also heavily hinted at by their placements. It doesn't have to be stated outright for it to be true.

00188f55
rulershipsaspects-298x300.png

Moon sextiles Venus, squares Mars, trines Jupiter, and oppositions Saturn (in Capricorn). It's the same either way in its symmetry, so whether the planets were drawn in the chart not doesn't matter too much as it's just a teaching tool (not an actual chart).

The outer planets did not come into usage until much later during their discovery a few hundred years ago. The rulerships were based off the main 7 bodies from Sun/Moon to Saturn. Some have observed the existence of Uranus, because it is visible by the naked eye under certain conditions, but did not put it into usage. (I can sense a big debate incoming ). Yes I understand that a very long time ago, people were highly advanced beings who had a lot of understanding. I know your stance on this. Though, I write this in the context of a few thousand years which is where we gain our current understanding of astrology comes from, and not the entirety of the human existence.

Of course you don't have to agree. I'm just pointing how aspects can be interpreted by the nature of the planets. I thought it was a neat thing from Hellenistic astrologers, that's all. :) We all do astrology a little bit differently from others.

I think all I'm doing is confusing people by posting about the astrology of yore, and I'm poorly explaining it without much context, so I'll just avoid posting. I apologize for the confusion.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
There is:
• quintile, which is angle of 72° (1/5 of the ecliptic);
• and quincunx (aka inconjunct), which is an angle of 150° (5/12 of the ecliptic).

So, you were looking for quincunx this time. Both are minor aspects anyway.

94n said:
I was just commenting on one point as the other time, not your whole description, which is good. The only other comment of mine, is that we're researcher. We're supposed to improve upon existent material and, once we reach the level of advanced of the ancients, keep improving past that.

P.S. The missing comment on the relationship topic has been approved for a while. Of course it's not the last post because, regardless of when it is approved, the date and time always are the same as when one submits their post.

Stormblood said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
There is:
• quintile, which is angle of 72° (1/5 of the ecliptic);
• and quincunx (aka inconjunct), which is an angle of 150° (5/12 of the ecliptic).

So, you were looking for quincunx this time. Both are minor aspects anyway.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back