Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Attention to All Translators !!!

Username

This is a reminder to keep making backups of your ongoing translation work, both offline and online backups.

My computer malfunctioned and didn't boot up properly today and I tried many solutions with none succeeding. Therefore, I had to install a fresh version of the OS on which I am typing right now.
I lost all of my translation work as I hadn't expected such to happen. This might be an enemy attack or maybe bad luck.

Always make backups of your ongoing translation. The first and main priority should be to make backups on your pen drive at least weekly or every three days. Of course, making backup everyday is ideal. Online backups should also be made in case you lose or misplace your pen drive.

Thankfully, I hadn't translated much and to be honest my translation had many difficult words which could not be understood by the average reader. Having a fresh start doesn't seem so bad.
In any case, be it enemy attack or plain hardware/software malfunction, I couldn't care less. Such a small setback isn't enough to discourage me.

Take care.
Ciaos

Username said:
This is a reminder to keep making backups of your ongoing translation work, both offline and online backups.
Pendrive /USB is what I use since nobody has access there. I recommend the same, everybody should keep their data into remote/separated storing devices and not on their computers. Also online is a good idea as long as you keep your login details on the platform where you upload. What you need to pay attention to here is that links are expiring as happened in one of my mega.nz files where its link wasn't working anymore. Probably you can donwload it or generate a new link if you login on your account but if you only have the link of the file it might expire after a certain period of time even if you have created an account there. For example on docdroid (platform to upload documents and PDFs), your files will be deleted automatically if they haven't been accessed in 60 days, Safest I think is devices like USBs or external drives that cannot be accesed through internet, as long as you hide them very well so only you have access to them.

So are you saying that by booting from an USB stick you could not get access to file system?

Did you perhaps encrypt the file system, because I see only that preventing accessing it like this.

Anyway, good reminder. Thank you.

And a huge bummer regarding your work. :(

Henu the Great said:
So are you saying that by booting from an USB stick you could not get access to file system?

Did you perhaps encrypt the file system, because I see only that preventing accessing it like this.

Anyway, good reminder. Thank you.

And a huge bummer regarding your work. :(

I forcefully shutdown the PC when it wasn't responding. Then I tried many solutions from the internet with none working. The hard disk wasn't encrypted. I did boot from live image from USB stick. I couldn't find the files that I was looking for. I should have been more patient.
However, I had run out of patience and energy when everything I tried to do for hours and hours couldn't solve the problem.

To be honest, I am really glad that I had to face such a problem. Better me whose translation work was just beginning than someone whose translation had progressed far but lost it all because he/she didn't make a backup. My translation did have many difficult to understand words for the average readers.
So, I am not discouraged and looking forward to a fresh start.

Hopefully, this post will remind the translators to be careful and make backups.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back