Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Mindless behaviors

Jrvan

Have you ever noticed when you are switching your phone on to check for something, but you don't even realize you're doing it? How many times a day do you do it without really thinking about it?

Do you ever open the fridge door just to check, but don't know why?

Do you sit in the exact same spot on the couch every single time without even being aware of it?

You don't necessarily have to stop doing things like this, but it's good meditation practice to become aware that you are doing them. Then they won't be mindless anymore.

I never do, and it always annoyed me when other people did it excessively. Every since I was very young I practiced mindfulness, without knowing what it was.

Good idea to make this post, it is good to bring this to people's awareness, as it is something to overcome. We need to be aware of our behaviors.

(Btw Jrvan, can I ask what tarot deck is in your signature? It has a beauty to it, I would like to find the deck flip through online to see all the cards :) )

jrvan said:
Have you ever noticed when you are switching your phone on to check for something, but you don't even realize you're doing it? How many times a day do you do it without really thinking about it?

Do you sit in the exact same spot on the couch every single time without even being aware of it?

You don't necessarily have to stop doing things like this, but it's good meditation practice to become aware that you are doing them. Then they won't be mindless anymore.

Sadly, our minds are constantly being bombarded with so-called "reward" systems, i.e. dopamine releasement. Becoming aware to the fact one is constantly is switching to their phone without realizing it, is the first step into solving it. The mind is unfocused, scattered, and are used to reward itself from easy short-lived actions such as checking the phone from notifications, or just simply due to a now existing compulsive behavior. The ability to think properly, remembering things, paying attention and regulating emotion are actually compromised to a degree in this case. This should be addressed.

The same thing applies to opening the the fridge without any "reason". You may have checked the fridge 3-4 times already, but then you check the fridge yet again to see if there magically is something satisfying to eat? This is a symptom of not eating properly, and again you being used to rewarding yourself with a dopamine rush i.e. short-lived. This can cause many unpleasant side-effects such as putting on unnecessary weight, only sticking to sweets or other junk food that is only a fast solution and a quick fix to the cravings. This ruins ones overall energy if unattended.

Having a varied diet with lots of vegetables, fruit and berries, coarse cereals and fish, and limited amounts of processed meat (buy high-quality meat from trusted suppliers), salt and sugar. Choose foods with limited amounts of saturated fat, sugar and salt.

Have a good balance between how much energy you take in through food and drink, and how much you consume through activity. Limit your intake of food and drinks that have a high energy content and little nutrition, such as soft drinks, sweets and snacks. Regular physical activity helps to maintain the body's energy balance.

As for sitting on the same spot on the couch all the time? Yes, that is so true. I have my own designated spot on my couch :lol: Every time a friend of mine visits me, she has her particular spot, and I have mine. Same with me and my partner. I haven't put much thought into this as to the why. But, maybe this has something to do with how we grew up? That we were taught in school to always stick to our designated seats and so on?

Lydia [JG said:
" post_id=387204 time=1662705128 user_id=57]
I never do, and it always annoyed me when other people did it excessively. Every since I was very young I practiced mindfulness, without knowing what it was.

Good idea to make this post, it is good to bring this to people's awareness, as it is something to overcome. We need to be aware of our behaviors.

(Btw Jrvan, can I ask what tarot deck is in your signature? It has a beauty to it, I would like to find the deck flip through online to see all the cards :) )

Mindfulness is much better than mindlessness, haha. I know a lot of advanced members won't need this, but sometimes reminders are good especially if written in a more simplistic way, and for new people with less experience.

About the tarot card. I was looking a while back for interesting versions of the Six of Swords that felt uniquely me, and Tabby stumbled upon this one which completely captured my attention. It was just so perfect. It looks like the deck is called the Ostara Tarot by Eden Cooke, Krista Gibbard, Julia Iredale, and Molly Applejohn. https://benebellwen.com/2017/08/29/the-ostara-tarot-a-beautiful-deck-for-year-round-use/

Lydia [JG said:
" post_id=387204 time=1662705128 user_id=57]

This is a video walk through of the deck. It's really pretty. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jld9JdyqSBE

Darkpagan666 said:
jrvan said:

Sadly, our minds are constantly being bombarded with so-called "reward" systems, i.e. dopamine releasement. Becoming aware to the fact one is constantly is switching to their phone without realizing it, is the first step into solving it. The mind is unfocused, scattered, and are used to reward itself from easy short-lived actions such as checking the phone from notifications, or just simply due to a now existing compulsive behavior. The ability to think properly, remembering things, paying attention and regulating emotion are actually compromised to a degree in this case. This should be addressed.

The same thing applies to opening the the fridge without any "reason". You may have checked the fridge 3-4 times already, but then you check the fridge yet again to see if there magically is something satisfying to eat? This is a symptom of not eating properly, and again you being used to rewarding yourself with a dopamine rush i.e. short-lived. This can cause many unpleasant side-effects such as putting on unnecessary weight, only sticking to sweets or other junk food that is only a fast solution and a quick fix to the cravings. This ruins ones overall energy if unattended.

Having a varied diet with lots of vegetables, fruit and berries, coarse cereals and fish, and limited amounts of processed meat (buy high-quality meat from trusted suppliers), salt and sugar. Choose foods with limited amounts of saturated fat, sugar and salt.

Have a good balance between how much energy you take in through food and drink, and how much you consume through activity. Limit your intake of food and drinks that have a high energy content and little nutrition, such as soft drinks, sweets and snacks. Regular physical activity helps to maintain the body's energy balance.

As for sitting on the same spot on the couch all the time? Yes, that is so true. I have my own designated spot on my couch :lol: Every time a friend of mine visits me, she has her particular spot, and I have mine. Same with me and my partner. I haven't put much thought into this as to the why. But, maybe this has something to do with how we grew up? That we were taught in school to always stick to our designated seats and so on?

It is also the feel of the room. In example, in secundary ed at first I sat at the front row in a super loud rowdy class.
After choosing subjects and people realizing damn I need to pass my exams, I moved towards the back end because the front end got to be way more busy.

Move stuff around in your house. Do you notice how fresh it feels after its done? Like when you move decorations in and out. Rearrange the seats of the dinner table or move it into a new place all together, and the like.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back