Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Honey & Warm Water

Serbon said:
Some say that adding honey in warm liquids, like tea, can turn the honey toxic. Is this true?

Thats a good question! I hope not. I enjoy it with coffee.

Hail Satan
Hail Eligos

One thing I am thinking about is if it is raw honey, there could be bacterias in there. But they are not able to grow to more than a small number on the honey because it is a very difficult environment for them to live, for multiple reasons. There is too much sugar too densely together that is not good for them. Actually having a very high amount of sugar is used as a preservative for this reason, like a jar of jelly.

Then when you dissolve it in warm water. You are creating the perfect place for the bacterias to live. They can live in the water and eat the sugar. And if you left this for a few days, you would have a very high amount of bacteria colonies in such large amounts that you might see large solid pieces of them. And if the bacteria did not originally come from the honey, a lot more types would come from the air and land in there.

So this would make you very sick or maybe be deadly if you left it for some days. But making it then drinking it very soon after, like some people do with tea, is completely harmless.

o_O. I put honey in my warm milk and tea before but not anymore...never hear of this though. Since Olly pretty much grossed me out I won't be doing it any time soon again either :lol: j/k <3

In all seriousness, I thought there were some nutrients in raw honey that the other stuff didn't have. But it's like with a lot of raw foods I guess. Anything raw in terms of meat or eggs is fkin nasty, and I don't get how people eat sushi, carpaccio, raw eggs and other things. bleh.

As far as the warmth is concerned, This is probably why they keep hospitals so cold. But heat above a certain temp kills bacteria too if I am not mistaken.

Serbon said:
Some say that adding honey in warm liquids, like tea, can turn the honey toxic. Is this true?

Heating up honey breaks down the ingrediënts which make it more like a sugar bomb.

Raw honey is said to not give as high a bloodsugar spike vs treated, as well as that raw honey can be used with allergy treatment, to make the symptoms less severe, or at least, get your body used to low amounts of the allergen.

In Ayurveda, honey is to be taken at room temperature. It can be added to tea or hot milk when the beverage is cooled enough to drink. It doesn't become toxic in the sense we know toxic to be, it's just not as well digested by the body, energetically.

Raw honey has stronger medicinal properties than the processed stuff. It is naturally anti-viral and any bacteria as far I'm concerned is "good" bacteria.

It can be a shock to the system if the body is used to consuming junk so it should be taken little by little for those type of people.

It might also affect differently depending on the body type of an individual for example a person with a Pita type of body will have to build up to it as they will get bad reactions if taken too much at once.

Shadowcat said:
o_O. I put honey in my warm milk and tea before but not anymore...never hear of this though. Since Olly pretty much grossed me out I won't be doing it any time soon again either :lol: j/k <3

Sorry. :lol:

Heating honey via boiling water in tea probably denatures the beneficial enzymes that are found in it. If you want to eat honey because of its beneficial effects, then eat it raw with a spoon. If you want to continue using it to sweeten your tea, you'll still get some nutrients but the extra special heat sensitive ones will be lost. Maybe buy 2 honeys, 1 expensive quality one and one decent quality one. Eat the better honey raw, and use the cheaper one with your tea, just 1-2tsp all you really need. Consider getting higher quality tea that doesnt need honey.

There is no scientific evidence to prove that heated honey is toxic. Rather, it is true that some products lose some vitamins and other things when cooked.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back