Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

What is the point of smoking?

Many say it relieves stress and gives you freedom. This is a mis-analysis of the phenomenon, as it is not the cigarette that relaxes you, but the knowledge that you are smoking a cigarette. It is a kind of mental weapon, because a chain reaction, or mental satisfaction, is created by the addictive effect of cigarette smoking.

This satisfies the mind, because we don't smoke cigarettes for physical reasons, we have to look at the reasons from a mental point of view.

This makes no sense unless you look at the other side of the phenomenon - self-destruction. So it makes sense in its own way.

BrightSpace666 said:
Many say it relieves stress and gives you freedom. This is a mis-analysis of the phenomenon, as it is not the cigarette that relaxes you, but the knowledge that you are smoking a cigarette. It is a kind of mental weapon, because a chain reaction, or mental satisfaction, is created by the addictive effect of cigarette smoking.

This satisfies the mind, because we don't smoke cigarettes for physical reasons, we have to look at the reasons from a mental point of view.

This makes no sense unless you look at the other side of the phenomenon - self-destruction. So it makes sense in its own way.

I would say there is also a chemical related pleasure just like with drugs, but most of it is psychological as you said. How it makes you look and how ciggarettes have been marketed all those many years. Either to make you look tough or elegant, depends on the dressing elements that are presented in the movie/advertisment.

Cigarettes carry many more harmful things, to the point that it only carry about 10% of the tobacco plant and the other 90% are chemical residues and others that are added to it. Does anyone think that the tar contained in cigarettes comes naturally from the tobacco plant? :roll:

The withdrawal symptoms make life really hard for a week or so most want to avoid that. Also the cravings for it is really strong so some don't have the strength to resist this since unlike many other things it's easily available whenever anyone wants it for the most part.

BrightSpace666 said:

Almost all my friends are smoking, all the time. Even when we just stay togheter and chill. I see no point because they can't have the excuse of releasing stress. Maybe this is a social weapon to avoid looking stupid when they have no joke in pocket. They don't know that the best social skill is to don't care if you look stupid, lol

BrightSpace666 said:

I am very happy to have stopped smoking for good. Surely this addiction is mostly mental. Also, many people don't look very far. It doesn't destroy them immediately and so it doesn't seem like a problem to them. They would not think so if physical immortality were achieved, because it would make no sense to destroy one's lungs and then implant others and then again... This is analogous to not brushing your teeth and letting them rot continuously, with the complete and endless regeneration and regrowth of teeth.

slyscorpion said:
The withdrawal symptoms make life really hard for a week or so most want to avoid that. Also the cravings for it is really strong so some don't have the strength to resist this since unlike many other things it's easily available whenever anyone wants it for the most part.

Some do not have the strength to stop, others the knowledge, still others embrace it as the limit and the end. They say... you will not live forever! Damn, if you put it that way, jump in the lake then.

Sunny said:
Carbon dioxide is a waste product that the lungs throw away. So what is the point of filling the lungs with this product?

The functioning of the lungs.
https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/lu...e (breathe in,exchange, is essential to life.

There is no point to it. There are some Hispanic spiritualists who use nicotine nasally to try and achieve some kind of spiritual cleansing in single use rituals. Jews think that kind of thing helps them be more human. They go out and do that kind of thing. Then they push it on the populace in disgusting manners.

It's a gross addiction that takes a toll on people's bodies and minds.

Wotanwarrior said:
Cigarettes carry many more harmful things, to the point that it only carry about 10% of the tobacco plant and the other 90% are chemical residues and others that are added to it. Does anyone think that the tar contained in cigarettes comes naturally from the tobacco plant? :roll:

I have heard that in cigarette tobacco they add other substances to give it more flavour.

Smoker here. If you experienced pain then I can understand why you would smoke. Yes it sucks, but you don't fear death, you sort of embrace it. I no that sounds horrible, because it is, you stop caring. For me, it was to do with not having spiritual abilities to summon a succubus. Yes I feel her, always, but I want more because we are worth it. Thankfully Lilith is helping me deal with this pain. Smoking I do, even though it's wrong, to fulfil that craving even if it's slight. I hope this makes sense.

Leeges said:

Smoker here. If you experienced pain then I can understand why you would smoke. Yes it sucks, but you don't fear death, you sort of embrace it. I no that sounds horrible, because it is, you stop caring. For me, it was to do with not having spiritual abilities to summon a succubus. Yes I feel her, always, but I want more because we are worth it. Thankfully Lilith is helping me deal with this pain. Smoking I do, even though it's wrong, to fulfil that craving even if it's slight. I hope this makes sense.

The question was mostly from a physiological point of view, but this in many cases seems to begin with psychological necessity.

I started smoking for fun but then stopped once I realised that it destroys the lungs. If there was a safe alternative, I would smoke again but there isn't and so let it go.

Leeges said:
It makes no sense to destroy yourself. When you feel inadequate you should do something constructive to correct it, not the opposite. In your case, daily meditation on astral senses. Smoking is poison and does not bring you closer to your desires, but only hinders you in your progress.

Leeges said:

Please read this article completely.

Smoking causes damage to lungs over time — and it’s permanent

587089-healthy-vs-smoker-lungs-1296x728-body-1024x576.png

Video
https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/02/nurse-shares-showing-just-bad-smoking-affects-lungs-7514050/amp/

Your lungs contain around 500 million tiny air sacs called alveoli that pull oxygen from the air you breathe and release carbon dioxide when you exhale. Smoking destroys these air sacs by killing the cells that line them.

“Many structures in the body are capable of repairing themselves,” says Karam-Hage. “If you break a bone, for instance, it will eventually mend. If you cut your skin, it will heal. Even the liver can grow back sometimes if a portion of it is removed. But lung tissue doesn’t grow back. Once it’s gone, it’s gone.”

Damage to alveoli gets worse over time, too. And as lung tissue is damaged, it becomes more fibrous, making it harder for people to expand their lungs fully with each inhalation. Less lung tissue and less expansion mean less oxygen getting to all the places it’s needed. That’s why many people don’t think there’s a problem until they start feeling short of breath.

“It happens silently. So, smokers just keep walking around because they don’t feel anything,” says Karam-Hage. “And since people start out with millions of alveoli, it can take 15 or 20 years to lose enough of them to really become obvious. But once you develop something like chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), there’s no going back. Once you get to that point, you’re never going to get off the oxygen tank.”

Still, Karam-Hage notes, “It really is kind of amazing that some smokers don’t develop lung cancer. Their lungs are getting so much daily exposure to smoke and carcinogens.”

https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwi...-smoking--3-things-to-know.h00-159540534.html

BrightSpace666 said:

It is physical reason, because by smoking you give organism nicotine, and that substance is normaly present in your body, but after regular smoking it stops to produce nicotine and then it starts to crave it from the outside because person created habit which gives that substance from outside.

Yep you're correct. It's more of a rebel thing, childish in a sense. There is no reasonable or logical way to poison yourself, smoking.

it's more emotional driven than logical. It hinders progress but at the same time I can understand why it's done.

It's difficult to explain though, why you'd still choose to smoke. Personally, I will beat it but it will take time. I have a lot of trauma from religious up bringing but every day I get stronger. It's the best explanation I can give.

Leeges said:

It does not make sense, sorry. I understand where you're coming from, though. Former heavy smoker here... I smoked for almost 15 years. I used to smoke to cope with pain, both physical and mental, and I actually had similar beliefs that would create limitations where there were none in the first place.

Truth is, smoking destroys many things, not just your lungs, or teeth... but it also ruins your confidence in yourself, you give in to the addiction and you let it command your life, the act of smoking may seem harmless but when you look at it, it is not quite that simple and it is contrary to the lifestyle you should be having, you need to have full control of your own mind.

But you don't have to be this way, there are no limits to what you can achieve with the power of your mind. You can quit smoking easily if you understand this. Smoking has no power over you. Smoking does nothing for pain, relaxation, or whatever.

The truth is that in your brain you associated the act of smoking with something pleasurable, and therefore when you do smoke your brain releases dopamine and you have that feeling. You can have this feeling with whatever else you decide, you can easily trick the brain into releasing dopamine with healthier things such as running or whatever. Even if you just go get a green tea whenever you're craving a cigarette, soon enough your brain will associate green tea with something pleasurable and release dopamine.

Cigarettes are totally useless, they just trick your brain and destroy it in the process.

A debilitated physical body means a debilitated soul and that is the reason you can't progress spiritually, for one you don't own your mind, and second, your body is being pumped with deadly chemicals. You should quit smoking right now at this very moment and never look back, there is absolutely nothing that prevents you from doing this. You can do it.

From what I've seen, many people smoke out of passive suicidality/self harm. There are some that do it infrequently as a sensual pleasure, like pipe smoking, which can be contemplative and fills the air with pleasant smells. But cigarette smokers do it for lower reasons, like coping with pain, or fitting in with the clique. It tickles people to be naughty, and it's gratifying to those who are depressed and hate themselves or their life to do something that they know is harmful to them and gives them attention, but it's not significantly and immediately harmful enough to motivate them to stop.

My experience is that nicotine/tobacco addiction and withdrawal is a myth, it's no more drug-like than burning incense. Cigarettes taste and smell toxic and don't benefit cognition whatsoever, the only reasons that one would smoke cigarettes or feel a dependence on them would have to be social and psychological.

Sunny said:
Wotanwarrior said:

I have heard that in cigarette tobacco they add other substances to give it more flavour.

However, even if they did not add any other substances, there would not be much difference and the result would be very similar.

I don't know if you have ever seen in person what happens to a wood stove when it is used, you would know what literary rubbish carbon monoxide and dioxide are.

Sunny said:
Sunny said:
Wotanwarrior said:

However, even if they did not add any other substances, there would not be much difference and the result would be very similar.

I don't know if you have ever seen in person what happens to a wood stove when it is used, you would know what literary rubbish carbon monoxide and dioxide are.

Yes, I have seen it, for example the black soot that accumulates on the inside walls of a chimney is exactly the same and if you add the tar from cigarettes makes it even worse.

Wotanwarrior said:
Sunny said:
Sunny said:

Yes, I have seen it, for example the black soot that accumulates on the inside walls of a chimney is exactly the same and if you add the tar from cigarettes makes it even worse.

Exactly.

Their is no point, all it is is just another way some relive stress, though in a very destructive way, some also do sexual activity doing drugs, it does block chakras makes it hard to meditate, an causes problems down the line, I would heavily discourage any use of drugs, it is true any meditations an success you have done so far , will be undone if you take drugs

Satnam666 said:
Their is no point, all it is is just another way some relive stress, though in a very destructive way, some also do sexual activity doing drugs, it does block chakras makes it hard to meditate, an causes problems down the line, I would heavily discourage any use of drugs, it is true any meditations an success you have done so far , will be undone if you take drugs

There are people who say they smoke to relieve stress but in reality tobacco does not help in this because it has neither a calming effect nor anything else useful for this.

No point really. It’s just addiction. I started in high school because it was cool and my peers were doing it and me being rebellious and contrarian when I was young contributed to it a lot (you say it’s bad for me? Thanks, just bought a pack). Addiction took the care of me continuing to do it for the decade almost.

Nicotine is highly addictive substance. It’s right up there with some hard drugs such as heroin, from what I’ve heard.

Larissa666 said:
No point really. It’s just addiction. I started in high school because it was cool and my peers were doing it and me being rebellious and contrarian when I was young contributed to it a lot (you say it’s bad for me? Thanks, just bought a pack). Addiction took the care of me continuing to do it for the decade almost.

Nicotine is highly addictive substance. It’s right up there with some hard drugs such as heroin, from what I’ve heard.
No, it's not. Stopping smoking will not make you sick and the addiction is mostly a mental construction and nothing more. No one needs smoking, ceasing to smoke is very easy - toss the smokes into trash bin.

https://www.qwant.com/?q=Easy+method+to+stop+smoking+allen+carr&t=web

Sunny said:
Satnam666 said:

There are people who say they smoke to relieve stress but in reality tobacco does not help in this because it has neither a calming effect nor anything else useful for this.

Nicotine gives sense of relaxation emediatly and intensely. Tabasco contains nicotine. Our body produces nicotine itself if person is not smoker, by starting smoking person gives big doses of nicotine to organism and then it stops to produce nicotine by its own and it craves to take substance from outside. It has calming effect. I noticed here almost all of us speaks about what they think by looking at smoker, but fail to recognise why he smokes, nicotine is main substance there and it is physical addiction to nicotine. In reality tabacco helps to relieve stress but for minimum amount of time, for ten minutes maybe, until amount of nicotine is done and person needs more. I was smoker for 6 years, I don’t smoke after entering spiritual satanism 4 years already ^^

I appreciate all your invaluable help that you offer on this forum, but this might be one of those rare cases where you are wrong.

First, just because nicotine’s addictive potential is right up there with heroin according to some studies, that doesn’t mean withdrawal symptoms are the same, those are two different things. Not every addiction ends up in making the person in question sick. Some just cause mental torment, others cause both mental and physical effects.

I take it you haven’t lit a cigarette in your life (which is in fact good thing). You have no idea what smoking cessation feels like. If it was just mental and made up, it wouldn’t be so hard to quit for many.

“Just toss cigarettes into the trash” might work for some (like it did in my case), but it only worked because I somehow mustered insane amount of mental strength to not light up again for weeks. And when I say insane amounts, I mean it. I was able to give up sweets for example with not much trouble, as for cigarettes, it was a nightmare.

I have no idea why are you minimizing or straight denying nicotine’s mechanism of action. Maybe you think if you tell people “it’s all in your mind” it will make them somehow easier to quit. Fine, I can go with that, but I’m still not sure whether facing the truth or sugarcoating things will make giving up easier or harder.

Larissa666 said:
I appreciate all your invaluable help that you offer on this forum, but this might be one of those rare cases where you are wrong.

First, just because nicotine’s addictive potential is right up there with heroin according to some studies, that doesn’t mean withdrawal symptoms are the same, those are two different things. Not every addiction ends up in making the person in question sick. Some just cause mental torment, others cause both mental and physical effects.

I take it you haven’t lit a cigarette in your life (which is in fact good thing). You have no idea what smoking cessation feels like. If it was just mental and made up, it wouldn’t be so hard to quit for many.

“Just toss cigarettes into the trash” might work for some (like it did in my case), but it only worked because I somehow mustered insane amount of mental strength to not light up again for weeks. And when I say insane amounts, I mean it. I was able to give up sweets for example with not much trouble, as for cigarettes, it was a nightmare.

I have no idea why are you minimizing or straight denying nicotine’s mechanism of action. Maybe you think if you tell people “it’s all in your mind” it will make them somehow easier to quit. Fine, I can go with that, but I’m still not sure whether facing the truth or sugarcoating things will make giving up easier or harder.
You are mistaken. I am a former smoker and I know how it is. It really is in your mind.

Henu the Great said:
Larissa666 said:

You are mistaken. I am a former smoker and I know how it is. It really is in your mind.
I am too, and I agree. It's mostly a habit, nicotine withdrawal is not that bad.

Larissa, you've been an SS for how long? There is really no justification for not quitting smoking.

In addition to the reinforcing properties of nicotine (addiction), the effects of nicotine on appetite, attention, and mood are also thought to contribute to establishment and maintenance of the tobacco smoking habit.

It is not only a mental thing, but there is a physiological aspect that correlates to the personality and mentality of the subject (the addicted). Some have a stronger willpower than others, thus making it easier to just quit without much effort.

Knowledge is power! For many, if not most, knowing what to expect when quit smoking will prove success! There will occur so-called 'Junk Thoughts'. These surface and will try "talking" you into doing it again.

Physiological:
The physiological basis of nicotine addiction is found in the body's physical reaction to nicotine. When you smoke the nicotine triggers the "pleasure center" of your brain. A hit of nicotine stimulates the adrenal glands that cause the release of adrenaline. This adrenaline arouses the body and causes a release of glucose, as well as increasing respiration, blood pressure, and heart rate.

The average smoker takes about 10 puffs or hits on every cigarette, and nicotine levels in the brain max out within 10 seconds of inhaling. Since the satisfaction you get from smoking lasts only a few minutes, you will soon crave another cigarette or start to feel the side effects of nicotine addiction.

Nicotine addiction:
The physiological basis of nicotine addiction is similar to that of heroin and cocaine. Nicotine causes the release of dopamine in the part of the brain that controls pleasure and motivation. There is a similar effect caused by cocaine and heroin and is thought to bring about the gratifying sensations reported by many smokers. This pleasurable response to smoking is one of the reasons why it is difficult to quit smoking cold turkey or otherwise, or while you get treatment for nicotine addiction.

Many people say that smoking gives them energy or relaxes them - this is another aspect of the physiological basis of nicotine addiction. According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse, nicotine does both - it acts as both a stimulant and/or a sedative depending on the dose and the smoker's history of tobacco use.

Repeated exposure to nicotine and its pleasurable results causes you to gain a tolerance for the drug, making you need to increase your dose. This is similar to those who become dependent on alcohol - the more they drink, the more they need to keep drinking in order to feel the "high" that alcohol brings.

All of these findings and more are how the physiological basis for nicotine addiction has been established. There is also a psychological basis of nicotine addiction, which may help you better understand nicotine and how it affects your body.

Nicotine withdrawal:
One of the many unfortunate aspects of nicotine addiction, especially the physiological side of nicotine addiction, is the withdrawal symptoms. When you stop smoking you may feel agitated and have bouts of depression and difficulty concentrating or sleeping. You may also suffer from headaches.

Also Larissa, not an insult, but I find that people who smoke are extremely gross, they literally smell. I can't ever forget the taste when I kissed a woman smoker.
:puke: :puke: :puke:

Henu the Great said:
Larissa666 said:

For that matter, almost everything is just in people's minds. The experience of withdrawal may be caused physically by a chemical process, but the hardship, suffering and temptation one experiences because of it is entirely subjective, and this goes for many other things too. It's precisely because of this that workings can be extremely effective for changing people's behaviour in a positive way. Energy changes how people feel, and this changes how they naturally react to their circumstances.

Furthermore, feeling a particular way doesn't mean one has to act a particular way. The thing is, most pain goes away after some time, and that includes the pain from withdrawal. Suppose you're in pain or discomfort due to the withdrawal, and feel a strong urge to engage in the addiction again. But you know that if you do, you'll just prolong the issue, and continue to suffer in the long term. On the other hand, you also know the pain and discomfort means you're in the process of getting better, even if you do nothing about it at all; you merely have to endure it. Doesn't that just put a smile on your face, regardless of how your body tells you to feel?

In a situation like that, it's almost as if I begin to savour the pain, knowing it's for a purpose. Obviously, it still hurts just as much; it may be difficult to even think clearly or sleep. But soon enough, it simply won't matter anymore. The pain will be gone, and I'll be all better.

Perhaps it's easier for people to detach like that if they have a lot of air. Ironically, the element of air can also make people more impulsive, as the ability to detach makes them less affected mentally by consequences of their actions. But for a well-balanced person, there really just isn't much of an incentive to continue with an addiction. (Although I may be biased as an air-dominant person.)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back