Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Memory palace

Panta Rhei

There are resources about this on the internet, but it seems to be nothing more than pop culture nonsense. Is there anyone who is seriously working on this and can share their knowledge?

FancyMancy said:
Are you referring to Astral Temples?

He is basically referring to a semi pop culture phenomena, where people make a mental image of a "place" to store their memories and better recall them. I've attempted using my Astral Temple for this before and it only sort of worked, doing general cleaning and chakra worked had far more results for memory improvement, along with mercury squares which have done more than any of that before.

It's become popularized due to certain depictions in media, tv and movies mostly in west, of super "smart" characters using them. Personally I think just doing Mercury squares for better memory would be a better use of time, The Mind Palace technique seems to have some reported use by others, but you need really good visualization to start with.

SleepingWolf said:
FancyMancy said:

He is basically referring to a semi pop culture phenomena, where people make a mental image of a "place" to store their memories and better recall them. I've attempted using my Astral Temple for this before and it only sort of worked, doing general cleaning and chakra worked had far more results for memory improvement, along with mercury squares which have done more than any of that before.

It's become popularized due to certain depictions in media, tv and movies mostly in west, of super "smart" characters using them. Personally I think just doing Mercury squares for better memory would be a better use of time, The Mind Palace technique seems to have some reported use by others, but you need really good visualization to start with.
The closest to that I have heard is using a filing system in one's memory. It's exactly like a filing cabinet and you file your memories in there. That seems much easier and simpler than choosing a holiday destination where you have to contend with weather and people and exchange rates, etc., not to mention a filing cabinet doesn't require a lot of extremely-amazing amounts of visualisation. The idea of "memory palace" reminds me of science fiction. When a main character is in a coma, s/he would be in the location of their job - on-board ship or space station/at HQ... I don't think this phenomena is new; rather, taken and put in different clothes.

FancyMancy said:
SleepingWolf said:
FancyMancy said:

The closest to that I have heard is using a filing system in one's memory. It's exactly like a filing cabinet and you file your memories in there. That seems much easier and simpler than choosing a holiday destination where you have to contend with weather and people and exchange rates, etc., not to mention a filing cabinet doesn't require a lot of extremely-amazing amounts of visualisation. The idea of "memory palace" reminds me of science fiction. When a main character is in a coma, s/he would be in the location of their job - on-board ship or space station/at HQ... I don't think this phenomena is new; rather, taken and put in different clothes.

The visualization I used was a library in my mind. It kind of worked, but I haven't kept it up for some time, might be more because I stopped. Now I want to try it again, it was a neat way to organize my thoughts at least, it helped in a way, but it's really just visualization practice mixing with memory trick, in my opinion.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back