Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

OCD Tips and Random Info

Sundara

I’ve seen some people on here inquire about ocd more and what they can do, and I also see some posts that sound like people are wrapped up in obsessive thoughts and anxieties and may be unaware of this.
It’s painful to see certain posts on here and I feel for some of these people.

A core trait of ocd is too much focus on your own thoughts. I believe wrongful interpretation of meditation practices can possibly contribute to this. Attempts to forcibly block out your thoughts or attempting to be aware of your thoughts, especially while trying to simultaneously do these things are a recipe for disaster. All that’s needed is to bring your attention to the moment. Trying to alter my natural focus or thoughts when young when it was already phenomenal threw me entirely off track. I went from straight easy A’s to struggling for B’s sometimes getting C’s pretty rapidly. My mind was a mess.

Also be aware of the power of suggestion. If you’re told not to think about a bird, you will think about a bird. I said this the other day on here and want to put it in a post - if you’re told that an image of a grey popping into your mind is an attack and not to think of them, you’ll inevitably think about them and consider it an attack. You’re going to psych yourself out and probably sound insane or feel insane. If you’re struggling with supposed attacks mentally in such a way, know that this is not an attack but a trick from your mind. That information is not true. You do not see negative images when you’re getting “spiritually attacked” I think this concept was too much for many people and heavily misconstrued.

If you’re a preteen or child you don’t exactly need to do any of this in my opinion unless you know for a fact you have an issue with anxiety or are already too wrapped up in your head, I don’t think someone young would even understand this concept thoroughly though nor should they really try. I think too many young kids are misdiagnosed as having something wrong with them when they’re just fine and may just need more support or understanding. Kids are already in the moment. I would never suggest for my own children to practice any form of meditation at this point until it’s needed absolutely needed.

Don’t try to force yourself to understand something if you simply don’t understand something either. It’s okay to not understand every tiny thing. Work with what you understand naturally and build. It’s great to seek knowledge but don’t stress yourself and turn your brain into a mess trying to gather too much information and knowledge at once. That’s not how growth works.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back