Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Pronunciation Sanskrit Letters

Stormblood

No 'a' turns into 'u' when pronounced in Sanskrit. Either the person who made this made a typo for Ananda (which is actually Sananda, as far we know here in JoS) or they actually don't understand Vedic Sanskrit in any way, shape or form. I doubt even in Modern Sanskrit it would change like that. This is my first red flag when reading this.

I realise that for 40 days I have been mispronouncing 'vissuddhi'... :roll: :(
It's not the 's' sound but 'sh'

Thank you for the helpful sharing!

SShiva_fr said:

SH is a mistransliteration done by English-speaking people. It doesn't exist in Sanskrit. In Sanskrit you have multiple sibilants, all of which are hissed in a different way. One is cat hiss, another is serpent hiss, and for the other I don't know how to describe. I explained how they are vibrated in previous posts of mine. You will find them with the search function.

There is no 'sh' vibration like in the English 'sheep' and similar. They are all hissed Ss.

Stormblood said:
SShiva_fr said:

SH is a mistransliteration done by English-speaking people. It doesn't exist in Sanskrit. In Sanskrit you have multiple sibilants, all of which are hissed in a different way. One is cat hiss, another is serpent hiss, and for the other I don't know how to describe. I explained how they are vibrated in previous posts of mine. You will find them with the search function.

There is no 'sh' vibration like in the English 'sheep' and similar. They are all hissed Ss.

Oh good!
I would have been very upset to have a 40 day job...not valid !!
Thanks !

Woden said:
I found this whilst researching Sanskrit language letters. It's very informative. Experienced members let me know your thoughts on it - plus or negative.

https://mega.nz/file/ObZy0LYC#nD19v3yg4TYEPjs0iIJHogfO8MZsdzJPqgFNOy1bGk0
The best book on Sanskrit is D. Frawley's Mantra Yoga and Primal Sound. It has all the information you need.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back