Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Simple and Effective Void Technique

gnome

I wanted to share a void meditation technique that I've had much success with. It is a technique that offers a moving and repeating point of focus and continual opportunity to assess whether the attention has drifted, bringing it back if necessary.

The standard void meditation is particularly tricky, especially in a world where we're constantly bombarded with distractions. It can be difficult to recognise when the attention has drifted, and the longer it has drifted, the more frustrating it can be. This technique satisfies a mind that's used to being "busy" or chatty, giving it a moving point of focus (numbers) and a continual loop that provides opportunity to self-assess attention.

Technique:

1. Sit comfortably and take a few deep breaths
2. On each inhale and exhale, count from one to ten E.G:
(One) Inhale...Exhale
(Two) Inhale...Exhale
(Three) Inhale...Exhale
(Four) Inhale...Exhale
(Five) Inhale...Exhale
(Six) Inhale...Exhale
(Seven) Inhale...Exhale
(Eight) Inhale...Exhale
(Nine) Inhale...Exhale
(Ten) Inhale...Exhale
3. Repeat as desired

If at any point, you lose focus on the meditation, or you have given attention to passing thoughts, begin counting from one again. Similarly, if you find you have counted beyond ten, start again at number one. It is up to you how strict you are in resetting back to one, but there is still benefit in doing the meditation even if you cannot make it to ten at all. You are effectively training your mind to recognise when it has gone "off track" and becoming used to gently moving your attention back on track.

Helpful tips:

- If you are struggling to retain focus, try to keep each number in your mind for the whole inhalation and exhalation.
- An easier variation of this to to count on each separate inhale and exhale, rather than a full breath. This is especially good if you are feeling tired and cannot maintain focus as well as you would like.
- Set a timer or stop watch to keep track of time - when you become proficient at this, time will seem to melt away

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back