Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Guide to Norse Runes (Part 1): Fehu

Arcadia

As a quick foreword, I have begun this project as a means of following up on the foundations set by HPS Maxine and the other High Priests. As HP Cobra is seeing to the gradual overhaul of Joy of Satan material across the board, I believed I could contribute to this great work by building upon the all-important knowledge and understanding of the runes for the sake of our growing membership. The information currently present on the main Joy of Satan site regarding runes is inarguably invaluable, but I feel there is room for an expansion of knowledge in this sector, as the brevity of the runic section on the main JoS site inevitably means much of the grander theology and potential uses of the rune aren’t entirely covered.

Understandably so, of course. The amount of work that has gone into any aspect of our movement cannot be understated, but seeing as Cobra is but one man, and that there is only so much time in any given day, I’m more than happy to make my contribution and leave my mark on the movement.

The information below will pertain to the expansion of information and understanding of a runic letter; I’ll be seeing to each one individually over time, if my work is deemed adequate. Seeing as I’m writing these myself, I cannot promise the speed of delivery, but my intent is to go through each runic letter in order over time, if all goes well, so comments are definitely appreciated if this is deemed insightful.

Hopefully, an increased understanding of the essence and meaning of these runes will lead to greater understanding among our ranks regarding the mechanics of nature’s eternal laws, as well as the potential practical application of each rune. Be pre-emptively warned, this is quite in-depth, and a lot of research and pondering went into this.

Thank you for reading, now onto the rune.

-----

The Norse Rune Fehu
Germanic: Fe (Fehu)
Gothic: Faihu
Norse: Fé
Anglo-Saxon: Feo, Feoh
Icelandic: Fé
Norwegian: Fe

fehu.jpg

Fehu is the first rune in the futhark alphabet. Translated directly, the word Fehu generally refers to cattle, or more specifically, the concept of “mobile wealth”, ie, a herd of moving animals. In very literal, materialistic terms, through history wealth was often measured by the amount of cattle one owned, but the exact nature of Fehu, or any rune, for the matter, is considerably more nuanced than such a basic concept.

As befitting the first rune, Fehu represents creation, in a sense, marking the beginning of everything. More accurately, it can be thought to represent the raw potential of energy. In the occult sense, within Norse theology, the rune is linked in thought to the Norse realm of Muselpheim, the realm of fire, home to the fire giants and guarded by Surtr.

Within the Prose Edda, a great time before the formation of earth (Midgard), existed the two Norse worlds Niflheim (the world of ice, frost and mist) and Muselpheim, located within the branches of the World Tree, Yggdrassil. From a well within Niflheim, flowed rivers, out into the primeval void of Ginnugagap (which, anyone reading this could perceive as what we refer to as the astral in the here and now). These rivers froze over, but were soon met with the fiery sparks of Muselpheim, and it began to melt. These sparks formed the sun, the moon, and the stars, and the drops of melted liquid went on to form the primordial giant known as Ymir, ancestor of all giants to come.

Ymir fed on the milk of a great primordial cow (see once more Fehu’s link to the concept of cattle), while the cow, in turn, licked rime stones for her own nourishment, gradually revealing the Buri, father and progenitor of the Gods, including Odin himself.

Within the actions of this primeval cattle, you see the foundation of both dualistic forces of creation and destruction, personified by Buri, and Ymir respectively, as Aesir and Giant alike, a mytheme that carries itself all the way to Ragnarok, and is represented best by the Norse world Muselpheim itself, as the fires of this world are responsible for both the creation and the destruction of all in the great occult cycle of Norse theology, as the fire Giant Surtr is shown enveloping Midgard in his flame in the final days of Ragnarok.

This of course, is not truly the end, but the dawn of a new beginning, as new life germinates within Midgard, after the exhaustion of the fires, fresher and more fertile than ever, ushering in a new golden age. Such is the nature of creation and destruction both.

Returning to Fehu, the rune’s key concepts include, but are not limited to: wealth, food/sustenance, prosperity, luck, prosperity, as well as key meditative concepts, like what’s referred to as the “beginner’s mind” within other magical schools of thought. You see these concepts reflected in the story I described above, if you pay close attention.

Both literally and figuratively, Fehu is the energy that first put is in touch with the world of Gods, and the expansion of consciousness to the divine Godhead represented by the Aesir. This is why fehu is the first letter of the Futhark, as its nature leads into divine energy of the letters that follow.

All this said, if you’re a beginning practitioner, Fehu is an excellent rune to meditate upon, to open up your psychic senses for the very first time, and begin feeling the energies of the astral and our Gods for the very first time, a way of securing all-important first impressions and one’s introduction to a life of greater consciousness and understanding.

The phrase “mobile wealth” is quite meaningful, as you could imagine. Not only does it literally refer to the nature of cattle, but in the spiritual sense, it refers to the raw mobility of energy, the active side of things, as opposed to the passive. Before Fehu, the first rune, the Norse worlds were without the creative and destructive energies which put life into action. Think of Shakti and Shiva, for those well-versed in the Vedas.

In a sense, Fehu is the rune of “luck”. It’s important to see wealth, not as needless material luxuries, so to speak, but the correct application of energies and wealth that breed and enable a fertile, pleasant existence. Perceive “wealth”, not as a Jewish goblin sitting atop a mountain of dollar bills, but as lush, ranging, fertile farmland, grazing animals, pure water, and everything mankind truly requires for natural prosperity. Moreover, see wealth as spiritual wealth, as Fehu opens the mind to its first pieces of spiritual richness. To quote an Anglo-Saxon poem regarding Fehu: “Wealth is a comfort to all; yet must everyone bestow it freely, if they wish to gain honor in the sight of the Odin.” Look to our Germany, if you will, as they gauged the wealth of their nation through the prosperity of the people, whereas our Jewish foe will hoard wealth incessantly as a nation and its people decay around them.

With the above in mind, in addition to using Fehu for the above meditative purposes, Fehu is an excellent rune to use in the attraction of wealth and prosperity.

As some may have noticed, Fehu is often referred to as Fe, which shares its phonetic identity with the word Fae, as seen in Celtic and Gaelic occultism. One may ponder the connection between these two concepts, at first, but it doesn’t take much to unravel the link.

Many fairytales of Celtic origin begin one of two ways. The Fae (by which I mean, faeries), will bless either a newborn child of great import, or, bless a hero at the very beginning of his cycle, so that his quest may be a successful one. In both, you can clearly see the link to aforementioned concepts, regarding firsts and beginnings. These children or heroes, are ultimately blessed with prosperous lives, as the stories go, and in folkisch though, the Fae themselves are associated with blessings of wellbeing and prosperity, and the happiness of the fair folk is in turn, often associated to the fertility of the land itself. Don’t anger the Fae, or your cow’s milk will turn sour, and your crops will die. Such superstitions had occult backing, obvious in retrospect.

On the topic of the hero’s journey, these classical stories end with the hero meeting the great love of his life. Herein, you’ll see another great practical use of Fehu.

Fehu, when used in a working, can secure and guarantee prosperity in the realm of love, specifically in regards to first meetings, first sexual encounters, and the like. Providing an elegant segue from this concept, fertility, as always, has a double meaning, or even a triple meaning. The creation of a fertile land or a fertile mind aside, Fehu can also govern fertility in regards to the basic principles of sexual attraction.

For these reasons, Fehu is often associated with the Norse Gods Freyr and Freya, deities of nature, fertility, love, cycles, and so on.

Above, I have mostly discussed white magic, however, if you were paying attention to what was stated earlier, Fehu governs creation just as it does destruction. As such, Fehu can be used to destroy, so to speak, the obstacles in one’s life preventing the beginning of a new cycle.

Further, when used in offensive black magic, Fehu can be used to curse one’s enemies with greed, atrophy, slavishness, and unwelcome endings. After all, Fehu represents cattle in every regard, including cattle’s symbolism as the beast of burden, an animal that is domesticated, broken in, slow and stupid. To quote another relevant Norse poem regarding Fehu: “Wealth is a source of discord amongst kin, the wolf lives in the forest.” The beast of burden must beware, sluggish and meek as it is, as it is easily devoured by the jaws of the hungry, greedy wolf.

To recap - Fehu can be used in meditation to open one’s mind to their first spiritual feelings and experiences. Further meditation in life can place one finely in tune with the pursuit of new beginnings and prosperity. In workings, one can seek the success of new love and sexual attractions, or true wealth and prosperous circumstances. One can also use this rune to create strife among their foes through greed, or render them slavish, docile and undone.

I've been wanted to read this kind of theological topics.
I use Uruz rune a lot for healing so eventual further info about its rune is something I also looking forward to see future.
Personally I want to hear about a runes that are good for protection and sorts.
Looking forward for another topics for other Runes!.

Arcadia said:
As a quick foreword, I have begun this project as a means of following up on the foundations set by HPS Maxine and the other High Priests. As HP Cobra is seeing to the gradual overhaul of Joy of Satan material across the board, I believed I could contribute to this great work by building upon the all-important knowledge and understanding of the runes for the sake of our growing membership. The information currently present on the main Joy of Satan site regarding runes is inarguably invaluable, but I feel there is room for an expansion of knowledge in this sector, as the brevity of the runic section on the main JoS site inevitably means much of the grander theology and potential uses of the rune aren’t entirely covered.

Understandably so, of course. The amount of work that has gone into any aspect of our movement cannot be understated, but seeing as Cobra is but one man, and that there is only so much time in any given day, I’m more than happy to make my contribution and leave my mark on the movement.

The information below will pertain to the expansion of information and understanding of a runic letter; I’ll be seeing to each one individually over time, if my work is deemed adequate. Seeing as I’m writing these myself, I cannot promise the speed of delivery, but my intent is to go through each runic letter in order over time, if all goes well, so comments are definitely appreciated if this is deemed insightful.

Hopefully, an increased understanding of the essence and meaning of these runes will lead to greater understanding among our ranks regarding the mechanics of nature’s eternal laws, as well as the potential practical application of each rune. Be pre-emptively warned, this is quite in-depth, and a lot of research and pondering went into this.

Thank you for reading, now onto the rune.

-----

The Norse Rune Fehu
Germanic: Fe (Fehu)
Gothic: Faihu
Norse: Fé
Anglo-Saxon: Feo, Feoh
Icelandic: Fé
Norwegian: Fe

fehu.jpg

Fehu is the first rune in the futhark alphabet. Translated directly, the word Fehu generally refers to cattle, or more specifically, the concept of “mobile wealth”, ie, a herd of moving animals. In very literal, materialistic terms, through history wealth was often measured by the amount of cattle one owned, but the exact nature of Fehu, or any rune, for the matter, is considerably more nuanced than such a basic concept.

As befitting the first rune, Fehu represents creation, in a sense, marking the beginning of everything. More accurately, it can be thought to represent the raw potential of energy. In the occult sense, within Norse theology, the rune is linked in thought to the Norse realm of Muselpheim, the realm of fire, home to the fire giants and guarded by Surtr.

Within the Prose Edda, a great time before the formation of earth (Midgard), existed the two Norse worlds Niflheim (the world of ice, frost and mist) and Muselpheim, located within the branches of the World Tree, Yggdrassil. From a well within Niflheim, flowed rivers, out into the primeval void of Ginnugagap (which, anyone reading this could perceive as what we refer to as the astral in the here and now). These rivers froze over, but were soon met with the fiery sparks of Muselpheim, and it began to melt. These sparks formed the sun, the moon, and the stars, and the drops of melted liquid went on to form the primordial giant known as Ymir, ancestor of all giants to come.

Ymir fed on the milk of a great primordial cow (see once more Fehu’s link to the concept of cattle), while the cow, in turn, licked rime stones for her own nourishment, gradually revealing the Buri, father and progenitor of the Gods, including Odin himself.

Within the actions of this primeval cattle, you see the foundation of both dualistic forces of creation and destruction, personified by Buri, and Ymir respectively, as Aesir and Giant alike, a mytheme that carries itself all the way to Ragnarok, and is represented best by the Norse world Muselpheim itself, as the fires of this world are responsible for both the creation and the destruction of all in the great occult cycle of Norse theology, as the fire Giant Surtr is shown enveloping Midgard in his flame in the final days of Ragnarok.

This of course, is not truly the end, but the dawn of a new beginning, as new life germinates within Midgard, after the exhaustion of the fires, fresher and more fertile than ever, ushering in a new golden age. Such is the nature of creation and destruction both.

Returning to Fehu, the rune’s key concepts include, but are not limited to: wealth, food/sustenance, prosperity, luck, prosperity, as well as key meditative concepts, like what’s referred to as the “beginner’s mind” within other magical schools of thought. You see these concepts reflected in the story I described above, if you pay close attention.

Both literally and figuratively, Fehu is the energy that first put is in touch with the world of Gods, and the expansion of consciousness to the divine Godhead represented by the Aesir. This is why fehu is the first letter of the Futhark, as its nature leads into divine energy of the letters that follow.

All this said, if you’re a beginning practitioner, Fehu is an excellent rune to meditate upon, to open up your psychic senses for the very first time, and begin feeling the energies of the astral and our Gods for the very first time, a way of securing all-important first impressions and one’s introduction to a life of greater consciousness and understanding.

The phrase “mobile wealth” is quite meaningful, as you could imagine. Not only does it literally refer to the nature of cattle, but in the spiritual sense, it refers to the raw mobility of energy, the active side of things, as opposed to the passive. Before Fehu, the first rune, the Norse worlds were without the creative and destructive energies which put life into action. Think of Shakti and Shiva, for those well-versed in the Vedas.

In a sense, Fehu is the rune of “luck”. It’s important to see wealth, not as needless material luxuries, so to speak, but the correct application of energies and wealth that breed and enable a fertile, pleasant existence. Perceive “wealth”, not as a Jewish goblin sitting atop a mountain of dollar bills, but as lush, ranging, fertile farmland, grazing animals, pure water, and everything mankind truly requires for natural prosperity. Moreover, see wealth as spiritual wealth, as Fehu opens the mind to its first pieces of spiritual richness. To quote an Anglo-Saxon poem regarding Fehu: “Wealth is a comfort to all; yet must everyone bestow it freely, if they wish to gain honor in the sight of the Odin.” Look to our Germany, if you will, as they gauged the wealth of their nation through the prosperity of the people, whereas our Jewish foe will hoard wealth incessantly as a nation and its people decay around them.

With the above in mind, in addition to using Fehu for the above meditative purposes, Fehu is an excellent rune to use in the attraction of wealth and prosperity.

As some may have noticed, Fehu is often referred to as Fe, which shares its phonetic identity with the word Fae, as seen in Celtic and Gaelic occultism. One may ponder the connection between these two concepts, at first, but it doesn’t take much to unravel the link.

Many fairytales of Celtic origin begin one of two ways. The Fae (by which I mean, faeries), will bless either a newborn child of great import, or, bless a hero at the very beginning of his cycle, so that his quest may be a successful one. In both, you can clearly see the link to aforementioned concepts, regarding firsts and beginnings. These children or heroes, are ultimately blessed with prosperous lives, as the stories go, and in folkisch though, the Fae themselves are associated with blessings of wellbeing and prosperity, and the happiness of the fair folk is in turn, often associated to the fertility of the land itself. Don’t anger the Fae, or your cow’s milk will turn sour, and your crops will die. Such superstitions had occult backing, obvious in retrospect.

On the topic of the hero’s journey, these classical stories end with the hero meeting the great love of his life. Herein, you’ll see another great practical use of Fehu.

Fehu, when used in a working, can secure and guarantee prosperity in the realm of love, specifically in regards to first meetings, first sexual encounters, and the like. Providing an elegant segue from this concept, fertility, as always, has a double meaning, or even a triple meaning. The creation of a fertile land or a fertile mind aside, Fehu can also govern fertility in regards to the basic principles of sexual attraction.

For these reasons, Fehu is often associated with the Norse Gods Freyr and Freya, deities of nature, fertility, love, cycles, and so on.

Above, I have mostly discussed white magic, however, if you were paying attention to what was stated earlier, Fehu governs creation just as it does destruction. As such, Fehu can be used to destroy, so to speak, the obstacles in one’s life preventing the beginning of a new cycle.

Further, when used in offensive black magic, Fehu can be used to curse one’s enemies with greed, atrophy, slavishness, and unwelcome endings. After all, Fehu represents cattle in every regard, including cattle’s symbolism as the beast of burden, an animal that is domesticated, broken in, slow and stupid. To quote another relevant Norse poem regarding Fehu: “Wealth is a source of discord amongst kin, the wolf lives in the forest.” The beast of burden must beware, sluggish and meek as it is, as it is easily devoured by the jaws of the hungry, greedy wolf.

To recap - Fehu can be used in meditation to open one’s mind to their first spiritual feelings and experiences. Further meditation in life can place one finely in tune with the pursuit of new beginnings and prosperity. In workings, one can seek the success of new love and sexual attractions, or true wealth and prosperous circumstances. One can also use this rune to create strife among their foes through greed, or render them slavish, docile and undone.

Good post! I just wanna make one small correction. It is the first of the ELDER Futhark which has 24 Runes. It is Fe of the Younger Futhark which has 16. It is Fa of the Armanen Futhark which has 18. There is Anglo and Icelandic Futhark as well. Actually in anglo I believe it is Futhorc. A few different systems, the Elder Futhark is actually alot of guess work, the Younger Futhark we know the most about, and are 100% on its pronunciations. The Armanen Futhark was Brought by Visions of Von List, and is what the Nazis used.

Edred Thorsson is a PhD and knows more then anyone about Runes, he is founder of the Rune Guild. He has 40 something books published. A very good place to start. First you must Learn the different systems, as there is not just the Futhark or the Runes.

You are doing a very good job. Hope you add this to your knowledge. Look forward to your posts.

Shanti Sananda said:
Good post! I just wanna make one small correction. It is the first of the ELDER Futhark which has 24 Runes.

Ah, thank you for the input. Most of my original knowledge of Runes actually started with the main JoS site, which primarily covers the 24 letter Elder Futhark, and does actually cite Edred Thorsson. Primarily I've known of the Elder and Younger, and the phoenetic differences, so there's definitely room for refinement of my knowledge in that regard. My intent was to follow the format of the rune page over on JoS. - https://www.satanisgod.org/www.angelfire.com/empire/serpentis666/Odin.html
So if my time allows continuation, you can expect something similar, albeit, more longform.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back