Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Computer turning on by itself

The Alchemist7 [JG]

I decided to ask this question here since there are many SS who are more knowledgeable in computers. Why is my computer turning on by itself sometimes from sleeping mode? I haven't found big deal on the internet about this. All I found was that it might be from BIOS or Windows updates. I have auto-update disabled and also I don't use Microsoft Windows. Is because someone is trying to connect to my computer? As far as I saw someone can remotely connect to a computer only if that computer is turned on and connected to the internet. Once my computer turned on like 3 times after repeatedly putting it back to sleep, It also turned on during the night as well. Last time when I removed the internet wire it didn't turn on anymore. I take it out all the time when I don't use the computer but this time I forgot. If someone is really connecting to my computer I wonder how they found my IP, I never visit this forum or anything related to the enemy from my real IP on the computer. I never had files dissapearing so I guess they never managed to actually enter my desktop (meaning that they should have the password to do so) but it's weird how it keeps turning on sometimes. Also I blocked remote access on root level when I installed Linux, however I don't know if I done it properly because it was not looking exactly like in the tutorial. What are your thoughts about this? Is it happening to anyone else?

Well if it does not happen when your internet access is cut off then it's something related to that. It might be another person playing around, or something inside your system that wants to connect, or both?

Have you checked out the log files of system and internet connection?

The Alchemist7 said:
I decided to ask this question here since there are many SS who are more knowledgeable in computers. Why is my computer turning on by itself sometimes from sleeping mode? I haven't found big deal on the internet about this. All I found was that it might be from BIOS or Windows updates. I have auto-update disabled and also I don't use Microsoft Windows. Is because someone is trying to connect to my computer? As far as I saw someone can remotely connect to a computer only if that computer is turned on and connected to the internet. Once my computer turned on like 3 times after repeatedly putting it back to sleep, It also turned on during the night as well. Last time when I removed the internet wire it didn't turn on anymore. I take it out all the time when I don't use the computer but this time I forgot. If someone is really connecting to my computer I wonder how they found my IP, I never visit this forum or anything related to the enemy from my real IP on the computer. I never had files dissapearing so I guess they never managed to actually enter my desktop (meaning that they should have the password to do so) but it's weird how it keeps turning on sometimes. Also I blocked remote access on root level when I installed Linux, however I don't know if I done it properly because it was not looking exactly like in the tutorial. What are your thoughts about this? Is it happening to anyone else?

Yes it happens with my computer as well, I don’t think there is something to worry about. Sometimes your Computer can still receive signals from the router I believe and turn on.

One time my parents were in the Bathing tub together and I was gone all day. Suddenly my Computer turned on, and blasted rock music. My parents freaked the duck out lmao.

It turned off after a couple of minutes, when they checked nobody was home.

Are you using Windows? If so, it might be the automatic maintenance. Windows automatically runs maintenance on a daily schedule when you're not using your computer.

You can either prevent it from waking your computer, so it runs the automatic maintenance only when your computer is turned on, but you are not using it: https://superuser.com/questions/113...aintenance-activator-from-waking-my-pc-random

Or, you can permanently disable Windows Maintenance: https://www.maketecheasier.com/permanently-disable-windows-maintenance/

I hope I helped.

The Alchemist7 said:

I've seen cases where a pc was turning on when it was powered off. I recall in a lecture, that if a pc was connected to an Ethernet cable, it could still receive signals, including alternatives to powering on your machine. Although this could be one of the cases described by others here, I would get a newer PC or build one yourself with reputable brands.

Henu the Great said:
I remember a few weeks ago I did open the document where the system logs are stored but I haven't noticed anything unusual. It is most likely due to something that occures via internet. It turned on many times before but only recently I started to unplug the internet cable when I don't use the computer. It might be due to some systems update as well. Maybe some basic features like the kernel are updated automatically.

NinRick said:
Lol. Apparently it also turned off by itself, hasn't it? That's really strange. I can understand turning on and playing music if that music was already on when the computer was put on sleep but I cannot explain how it turned off by itself unless it was a laptop that ran out of battery.

DiscipleOfSatan said:
Are you using Windows?
I hope I helped.
I use Linux. I gave up with Microsoft a few years ago due to privacy reasons and certain softwares/tools which normaly cost money in Windows but are preinstalled and completely free in Linux (well different programs like Office but doing exactly the same thing). Strangely I don't remember the computer to turn on by itself when I was using windows.

Turn off "wake on lan".
Either in properties of your network adapter.
In some cases there may be option in bios for that.

It may be a scheduled task. If all else fails, unplug the computer from the mains electricity after you shut it down. If it is a laptop, shut that down and also remove the battery after you have shut it down and unplugged it from the mains.

Remember -

Part 15 of the FCC Rules. Operation is subject to the following two conditions:
  1. this device may not cause harmful interference, and
  2. this device must accept any interference received

This may apply to some or all electronic devices.

The Alchemist7 said:

This is something that’s happened since the beginning of computers as far as I’ve noticed.

Meteor said:
The Alchemist7 said:
On Windows it's possible to schedule "tasks" that will start the computer and run a program at a specific time, and I think software with admin permissions can also be used to create those. Maybe there's something similar in your version of Linux? If so, you could check if there are any tasks scheduled.

NinRick said:
The Alchemist7 said:

Yes it happens with my computer as well, I don’t think there is something to worry about. Sometimes your Computer can still receive signals from the router I believe and turn on.

One time my parents were in the Bathing tub together and I was gone all day. Suddenly my Computer turned on, and blasted rock music. My parents freaked the duck out lmao.

You have your PC configured to automatically start playing rock music as soon as it starts up? Sounds kinda cool.

I never shut my PC off, I just put it to sleep, so when it wakes up, it continues to play my playlist. :lol:

The Alchemist7 said:
Henu the Great said:
I remember a few weeks ago I did open the document where the system logs are stored but I haven't noticed anything unusual. It is most likely due to something that occures via internet. It turned on many times before but only recently I started to unplug the internet cable when I don't use the computer. It might be due to some systems update as well. Maybe some basic features like the kernel are updated automatically.

NinRick said:
Lol. Apparently it also turned off by itself, hasn't it? That's really strange. I can understand turning on and playing music if that music was already on when the computer was put on sleep but I cannot explain how it turned off by itself unless it was a laptop that ran out of battery.

DiscipleOfSatan said:
Are you using Windows?
I hope I helped.
I use Linux. I gave up with Microsoft a few years ago due to privacy reasons and certain softwares/tools which normaly cost money in Windows but are preinstalled and completely free in Linux (well different programs like Office but doing exactly the same thing). Strangely I don't remember the computer to turn on by itself when I was using windows.

When you don’t click my screen for a couple of minutes, it goes to sleep again. It did not turn off, it went to sleep.

NinRick said:
Meteor said:
The Alchemist7 said:
On Windows it's possible to schedule "tasks" that will start the computer and run a program at a specific time, and I think software with admin permissions can also be used to create those. Maybe there's something similar in your version of Linux? If so, you could check if there are any tasks scheduled.

NinRick said:

You have your PC configured to automatically start playing rock music as soon as it starts up? Sounds kinda cool.

I never shut my PC off, I just put it to sleep, so when it wakes up, it continues to play my playlist. :lol:

Never turning your pc off and leaving it on sleep mode, will drastically impact the life span of your computer.

Please keep this in mind, your computer will die and experience part failures much sooner in the long term, because of this.

serpentwalker666 said:
NinRick said:
Meteor said:

Never turning your pc off and leaving it on sleep mode, will drastically impact the life span of your computer.

Please keep this in mind, your computer will die and experience part failures much sooner in the long term, because of this.

I pull the powerplug tho, so my hardware gets some rest. :lol:

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back