Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Teflon pans

Pzvx said:
Hello. They are less toxic to Teflon pans PTFE or ceramic ones? Thanks.

Ceramic with stainless steel are best.

There are also Ceramic ones with aluminum, I would avoid these.

Pzvx said:

Ceramic in general, but it is possible for other chemicals to be applied in conjunction with the finish on the ceramic.

With all things, you have to weigh the pros and cons. In the case of being an SS, we need all the time we can get. Spending extra time scrubbing pans takes time and energy that could be spent doing more productive things. On the contrary, buying organic takes zero time, only money, and should be pursued if possible.

If one is already using their cookware, and therefore eating whole foods, this mitigates the majority of food-based health concerns that one would have. If you have a whole-food diet that is suited for your constitution, with well-proportioned veggies and macros, I cannot see anything going wrong here. Combine this with yoga and good sleep and I would say that there is basically zero chance of becoming unbalanced.

Going further would involve water filters, changing your hygiene and cleaning products to safe alternatives, air purifiers/opening windows, etc.

Only at this point, if you still developed issues related to these chemicals, then you would have to push more stringent measures. Otherwise, if your health is stable, don't worry about it. All you need is a stable basis from which to do daily spiritual advancement from.

Blitzkreig said:
Pzvx said:

Ceramic in general, but it is possible for other chemicals to be applied in conjunction with the finish on the ceramic.

With all things, you have to weigh the pros and cons. In the case of being an SS, we need all the time we can get. Spending extra time scrubbing pans takes time and energy that could be spent doing more productive things. On the contrary, buying organic takes zero time, only money, and should be pursued if possible.

If one is already using their cookware, and therefore eating whole foods, this mitigates the majority of food-based health concerns that one would have. If you have a whole-food diet that is suited for your constitution, with well-proportioned veggies and macros, I cannot see anything going wrong here. Combine this with yoga and good sleep and I would say that there is basically zero chance of becoming unbalanced.

Going further would involve water filters, changing your hygiene and cleaning products to safe alternatives, air purifiers/opening windows, etc.

Only at this point, if you still developed issues related to these chemicals, then you would have to push more stringent measures. Otherwise, if your health is stable, don't worry about it. All you need is a stable basis from which to do daily spiritual advancement from.

I read this article http://fluoridealert.org/issues/sources/teflon-pans/ where it says that Teflon pans add 2ppm of fluoride after 15 minutes of boiling the water. But I don't know how good the study is. Since it was done in 1975. And it hasn't been said if it happens only once or more times. In supermarkets there are only these https://www.amazon.it/Aeternum-Petravera-Padella-Antiaderente-Alluminio/dp/B00GAY0RBM

Pzvx said:
I read this article http://fluoridealert.org/issues/sources/teflon-pans/ where it says that Teflon pans add 2ppm of fluoride after 15 minutes of boiling the water. But I don't know how good the study is. Since it was done in 1975. And it hasn't been said if it happens only once or more times. In supermarkets there are only these https://www.amazon.it/Aeternum-Petravera-Padella-Antiaderente-Alluminio/dp/B00GAY0RBM

Yeah I agree. I guess the point I was making earlier was just don't worry too much if you have teflon pans or don't have the money for something better. This is because the time saved is more valuable than the health return, since I assume you already are eating whole foods if you are using a cooking pan.

Fuchs said:
Pzvx said:

Why?? I have this https://shop.classe.it/en/outlet/51-padella-antiaderente-ceramica-cm-26-induzione-8021783181771.html and this https://www.amazon.com/Berndes-78924-induzione-ceramica-alluminio/dp/B003NEP8HA/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=padelle+in+ceramica+24&qid=1610738216&sr=8-12

I have read about nanomolecules that could be from ceramics.

Pzvx said:
Fuchs said:
Pzvx said:

Why?? I have this https://shop.classe.it/en/outlet/51-padella-antiaderente-ceramica-cm-26-induzione-8021783181771.html and this https://www.amazon.com/Berndes-78924-induzione-ceramica-alluminio/dp/B003NEP8HA/ref=sr_1_12?__mk_it_IT=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=padelle+in+ceramica+24&qid=1610738216&sr=8-12

Every material does give his parts to the food if you cook in glas, the food will have a little glas nano on it, the question is which material is the healthiest, from my study it is ceramic + steel.

Fuchs said:
Pzvx said:
Fuchs said:

Every material does give his parts to the food if you cook in glas, the food will have a little glas nano on it, the question is which material is the healthiest, from my study it is ceramic + steel.

After some time teflon pans clearly lose their layer. If you need to buy pans, don't buy teflon.
You can also buy cast iron pans.
Most likely theyre a bit heavier though and they do need treatment before you cook with it for the first time.

From my personal experience, the best kitchen utensils are the stainless steel without non-stick coating or also the cast iron pans that were traditionally used.

Pzvx said:
Wotanwarrior said:
From my personal experience, the best kitchen utensils are the stainless steel without non-stick coating or also the cast iron pans that were traditionally used.

Yes, definitely best without the non-stick coating. Teflon can become toxic when overheated. At room temperature, it is considered non-toxic, but it has no biological function and hence is a likely candidate for subtle long-term health problems.

Any pan will leech a tiny bit of itself into the food. Cast iron is one of the safest choices. In contrast to Telfon, iron is essential to the body, so tiny amounts are actually healthy. Only large amounts are toxic. Stainless steel is just an alloy of several metals, mostly iron, so it is nearly as safe.

You can put down a layer of high-temperature oil or ghee to keep food from sticking.

Some ceramic pans have lead or cadmium in the ceramic, which are toxic metals, so you'll need to be careful not to buy a cheap no-name brand. Le Creuset should be ok.

Soaring Eagle 666 said:
Pzvx said:
Wotanwarrior said:

Yes, definitely best without the non-stick coating. Teflon can become toxic when overheated. At room temperature, it is considered non-toxic, but it has no biological function and hence is a likely candidate for subtle long-term health problems.

Any pan will leech a tiny bit of itself into the food. Cast iron is one of the safest choices. In contrast to Telfon, iron is essential to the body, so tiny amounts are actually healthy. Only large amounts are toxic. Stainless steel is just an alloy of several metals, mostly iron, so it is nearly as safe.

You can put down a layer of high-temperature oil or ghee to keep food from sticking.

Some ceramic pans have lead or cadmium in the ceramic, which are toxic metals, so you'll need to be careful not to buy a cheap no-name brand. Le Creuset should be ok.

From what I have read, ptfe is made of carbon and fluorine and therefore should not become assimilable fluorine.

Soaring Eagle 666 said:
Pzvx said:
Wotanwarrior said:

Teflon can become toxic when overheated. At room temperature, it is considered non-toxic, but it has no biological function and hence is a likely candidate for subtle long-term health problems.

PTFE starts to get active enough to melt at around 601°K|327°C|684°F. I don't think you can heat it to that level with normal cookin methods. How could you overheat it?

Hermit of 13 Swords said:
Soaring Eagle 666 said:
Pzvx said:
Wotanwarrior said:

Teflon can become toxic when overheated. At room temperature, it is considered non-toxic, but it has no biological function and hence is a likely candidate for subtle long-term health problems.

PTFE starts to get active enough to melt at around 601°K|327°C|684°F. I don't think you can heat it to that level with normal cookin methods. How could you overheat it?
It is possible to overheat Teflon with a gas stove (i.e. an open flame), which burns at 3,600°F (2,000°C). However, some studies show that Teflon begins to emit toxic gasses at temperatures as low as 450°F (230°C). This is corroborated by stories of pet birds dying from the fumes, for example, from an oven's self-cleaning cycle. Teflon fumes are known to be highly toxic to birds.

Source:
https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

Blitzkreig said:
Pzvx said:
Spending extra time scrubbing pans takes time and energy that could be spent doing more productive things.

Bruh, maybe im overthinking this, but it takes like 3 minutes max to scrub a pan. What's your schedule like that you've got to make such culinary decisions :lol: :lol: :lol:

Soaring Eagle 666 said:
Hermit of 13 Swords said:
Soaring Eagle 666 said:

It is possible to overheat Teflon with a gas stove (i.e. an open flame), which burns at 3,600°F (2,000°C). However, some studies show that Teflon begins to emit toxic gasses at temperatures as low as 450°F (230°C). This is corroborated by stories of pet birds dying from the fumes, for example, from an oven's self-cleaning cycle. Teflon fumes are known to be highly toxic to birds.

Source:
https://www.ewg.org/research/canaries-kitchen

Makes sense. Thanks. I will remember this when buying a pan from now on.

Powerofjustice said:
Bruh, maybe im overthinking this, but it takes like 3 minutes max to scrub a pan. What's your schedule like that you've got to make such culinary decisions :lol: :lol: :lol:

I meant more like stuck on burnt stuff that can occur from a untreated or unseasoned pan. It is a minor detail though, definitely. It also scales if you are taking care of others and so forth.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back