Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

just a bit of creative writing

AncientRainbows

Hey everyone I've wanted to share this story for awhile. It’s a bit of creative writing I did awhile back. I feel like it's finally the right time to share.

I made this for Marchosias

Ah, I was young, stupid, and a bit rash, but with the blessing of my mentor, I finally arrived at the Earth Temple. The main entrance was rather imposing five floors of elegantly carved stone made to look like it was carved from a single piece; round courtyard dotted with stone buildings around the edges that extended into the jungle beyond and the mountains beyond. As I made my way along the path across the courtyard I was approached by a young woman appearing not much older than her 18th year. She asked me in a friendly manner if there was anything she could help me find; I told her that I was looking for a welcome hall and that I was here to see a Marquis, at which she chuckled and pointed me towards the big building. We chatted for a bit about how I had finally convinced my mentor that it would be wise to send me here to study at least the basics and how the journey had been a bit lengthy.

Upon entering the building I noticed the beautiful gilded archways that I had failed to notice from afar. Gold symbols covered the dark green emerald arches, I stared in marvel for a minute before I found a man sitting behind a desk and informed him of my reason for visiting and was told to go find an empty room on the 4th floor and to settle in, dinner would be on the third floor in the central hall and that I would need to clean myself up. Truthfully I was never told how long I was to stay here or when I would meet with the Marquis, also I learned there were multiple that frequented this temple and my mentor never really gave me a name just that if I was going to learn close-quarters combat that I should learn from one of the best.

I spent my first few days there just wandering around exploring. Eventually, I came across the library. The library was huge with hundreds of bookshelves filled from the floor to the ceiling with tomes. Some were new and shiny while others were old and worn. There was Stone tablets, some leather-bound tomes, handmade paper scrolls, some books were wired in copper plates, while yet others were little more than a stack of papers tied together. It was one of the biggest libraries I have ever seen and I would end up spending a lot of my time here.

Around the beginning of the second week there came a knock at my door, I turned and saw one of those gargoyles with the red eyes and my heart sank was it here to tell me to leave, that I had overstayed my welcome? To my great relief, it informed me that my presence was requested. At that, I practically leaped to follow it down to a room in the back of the second floor. That was where I had met her and to my surprise was not what I had expected, not that I knew what to expect in the first place. She wore a red tunic and arm guards adorned with polished copper. Her hair was a fair blonde that flowed freely down the length of her torso. She had a sword strapped at her hip and this old timely knowing look in her eyes. Briefly stunned as I had met her briefly already, here I was looking at that familiar face that welcomed me back in the courtyard. With a smile, she told me that she would gladly accept me for combat training however, first she needs to see what my skill level is. At that, she walked up and offered me a staff and asked if I was ready to spar or if I need a few minutes to get ready.

We started sparing after some stretches err well I don't think it was much sparing for her. Every time I struck with the staff it was like she had already moved just enough for it to miss before I even started my strike. Her strikes were precise however, it was clear that she wasn’t aiming to injure me or even hit me for that matter. After a minute or two, I swung down with all my strength trying to land a blow or at least make her have to block it. At that, she disarmed me, sidestepped behind me and placed the tip of her staff at the base of my skull all in a single motion. I was stunned not because of being hit as it was only hard enough to let me know it was there but because of how fluid it was. She removed it after I recognized what had happened and proceeded to let me know how she did it.

After I turned to face her, she told me, “I did this by striking your staff here at the base, it flew to the ground in part because you were holding it in a death grip. When you hold it like that all the vibrations travel down into your hands and as a result, it becomes harder to react, recover, and change your strike. You want to hold it loose but firm until the moment it lands. As for the strike itself I spun the staff at its midpoint where it spins with the least amount of force while stepping to the side, I stopped the spin after I hit your staff and just moved the other end to your head. Knowing set moves can help but you also need to study the mechanics of how those moves and weapons work. Let me formally welcome you to the Earth Temple and introduce you to Sami who will teach you the basics of hand to hand combat.”

[end]

I have somewhat of an idea on how to continue from there with a few ideas in the works. I don't think it'll increase in length anytime soon though, as I want to write a bunch of little things like that first and combine them into a flowing story later.
anyways I hope everyone enjoyed it.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back