Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Any spells, meditations, or exercises for learning a foreign language?

Askell

I'm trying to learn a new language, it's a European one, but for some reason internalizing the lessons is hard and soon enough I forget what I learned, in one ear and out the other so to speak.

Are there any practices that I could do that would greatly assist in me learning this new language?

And if you're mentioning apps, please don't mention Duolingo. It sucks, it teaches useless words for beginners, and its creator Luis von Ahn is an open jew.

Askell said:
I'm trying to learn a new language, it's a European one, but for some reason internalizing the lessons is hard and soon enough I forget what I learned, in one ear and out the other so to speak.

Are there any practices that I could do that would greatly assist in me learning this new language?

And if you're mentioning apps, please don't mention Duolingo. It sucks, it teaches useless words for beginners, and its creator Luis von Ahn is an open jew.

How long have you been learning this new language?

I'm asking because some people assimilate the basics of a new language in 2 weeks, and for others in would take months...

I had much success learning a European language using an approach developed by Dr. Pimsleur.

The way his method works is using what he called ‘graduated interval recall’. What this means is you are introduced to certain key words and right at the point where the words begin to fade from you memory, it’s reintroduced. After a few rounds of this it’s embedded in your longterm memory. The program allows you to speak and listen to the desired language with a native speaker as well. I found over time, sometimes when talking to people in my native language, often without realizing it I’ll throw in words or sentences in the new language just because it’s so ingrained at this point. It really works. Certain words and phrases I almost never use in English now, without thought.

It does take time though of course. You can find the program online. Many government agencies use it.

Might not be your cup of tea, but if you start out by watching animated recipe videos, that's a good way to start with. The vocabulary is usually clear and simple, you'll easily associate the words with the objects and actions that are shown in the video, and by watching the same videos a couple of times, you'll be acquiring new vocabulary in an interesting way and without using translations. Translation methods won't get you used to the thought process of the target language and the unique way in which that language works, so as an English teacher, I advise against any methods based on translation. Animations in general are very good to start with. Also, when you come across a word in the target language which you don't know the meaning of, you can look it up on Google images instead of translating it. This way, if it's an object, you'll know what it is immediately. If it's an action, you'll have at least an idea of what it means.

As for "useless words for beginners", if you're just starting to learn the language, the vocabulary will be rather simple at first as your brain won't naturally handle much advanced vocabulary right away, but not necessarily useless. It depends on what kind of vocabulary you normally use in your everyday life. For a person who doesn't live in a zoo, there isn't much use in learning the names of wild animals to begin with for example, but the names of household appliances and electronic devices is something the learner will be able to use right away in his/her life after learning it for the first time.

P.s.: Maybe you're not much into recipes, but pretty much any animated diy instructional/tutorial will have the same effect. Some examples are: how to draw a face, how to make a guitar, how to cut your own hair, how to clean your house, etc.

I remember Lydia mentioning some time ago that programming your aura with yellow -not gold- energy accompanied with affirmations helps with learning new languages.

Try that when you're laying on the floor meditating on the energy you raised after doing some yoga.

Now that I mentioned her name, she'll probably come to this thread and correct me if I'm wrong/add more information.

Not to sound disrespectful. I noticed in the last few years people getting really eager to learn new languages particularly the whole Rosetta Stone program as well as smartphone apps popping up acting as learning tools.

I like how everyone is trying to learn a new language and hopefully it helps people understand better the heritage of the Indo-Aryan history i.e. Modern Sanskrit/Ancient Sanskirt since MANY language delve from it. Plus learning from books and magazines and information.

But not to rain on your parade OP and to people who learn languages. But most people who learn a language don't really use it.

For example I know English and Spanish, bilingual. It's common in my neck of the woods to use both often to confusion and delving into Spanglish. But here is the thing I USE the language. I'm not just learning for the sake of learning.

In the gaming and anime world it's the same thing people either want to learn Japanese, which from what I read is so specific to Japan it's not even worth the investment. Or in gaming say the Starcraft community they want to learn Korean, which is the easiest and least intensive Asiatic language to learn. As for Chinese I recall the populace only uses 20,000 or so characters even though Chinese characters can range into 80,000.

So for OP, what is your desire to learn a language and what purpose are you putting in to use it and learn more from it from a daily perspective? For example many want to learn German but are they ever going to Germany or being around German speakers and the answer would most likely be no.

I'm simply asking what would be your purpose in learning it. Also what is the language your trying to learn? Maybe we have some members that could help you with specifics.

To truly learn a language you need full immersion.

You start by learning basic vocabulary, not grammar. Grammar in the beginner stage is useless. First you need the vocabulary. You need to hear it multiple times throughout the day and you absolutely don't need a translation through words. You got to associate with sensual inputs: a picture, the sound, the smell of the object if it has a smell, its texture and so on. This is how you learn vocabulary effectively, not by associating the verbal translation to it.

Grammar comes next. You start from the basics. Take an A1-level grammar book and start studying it after your vocabulary is 30-70 words dense. If you're not familiar with the level I meantioned, use the search engine to look for CEFR and it will show the European framework that classifies level of languages. The levels are 6 going from the lower (A1) to the highest (C2). The highest is useless unless you want to work as a translator, interpreter and similar career. The ultimate aim should be B2-C1.

During all stages of learning one should apply the same approach to learning vocabulary. The full immersion only happens if you constantly watch films and TV shows in the target language. With subtitles in your native language at first, then you move to subs in the target language and by the time you're B1-B2 you should be able to watch it without subs. I watched El Internado Laguna Negra without subs when my Spanish was B1 and didn't encounter major issue. Minor misunderstandings are to be expected initially.

Listening to music of your preferred genre in the target language also helps you get accustomed to the sounds of words. In your full immersion, you might want to get started with children's book and children's shows because the language there is more basic.

After a certain level, it helps having natives to practice your speaking, writing and listening skills with. You can find many eager language learners to do that with on HelloTalk, Tandem Exchange and HelloPal.

As a final note, it may be good to sign up for internships, seasonal jobs, study trips, volunteering and other experiences in the country where the target language is spoken, if you can afford it. That's the ultimate immersion.

Stormblood said:

Agreed! No one program is enough. I used the approach I mentioned to start and am using Mein Kampf and movies to finish it off! Next off to ze mozerland!

Heil Hitler! Ich liebe Deutschland!

Jack said:
Check this out,
https://www.michelthomas.com
Or you can simply pirate it.
Go to ebookee.org (you need a VPN to enter the site. Use browsec(free) on brave or simply use tor)
Search "The Michel Thomas method"
The first post returned should be from around 2017
It has nitroflare links. Its 22 GB and covers most of the European languages and Japanese too.
It would take forever for downloading from nitroflare in free mode.
You can get a premium generator (4.99 pounds) called deepbrid.com and download all the links in premium mode.
Alternatively you can search torrents which I haven't done.

Jack said:
Check this out,
https://www.michelthomas.com
Well for the heck of it I simply searched for the torrents and I found the complete version. Ignore what I first wrote about the ebookee.org method. This torrent one is completely free.

Here's the torrent link,

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:bb8e28c8fba74f6bb6bddab8630454c0014df6a5&dn=Michel Thomas Complete V3&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Feddie4.nl%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.pirateparty.gr%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopentrackr.org%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.zer0day.to%3A1337

(Copy paste into browser and u torrent will catch the file. It'll take some time to load. Be patient.).

You should know how to download torrents.
1)First Download u torrent
2)Then set it up for maximum speed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18jE6rZnUF0
(Three videos in this series. If first doesn't work try third.)
3)To completely destroy the download speed ,replace the trackers with these,
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qa761posipp5s55/sft.txt/file

Thanks. And tell us if you nailed this language learning thing.

Eric13 said:
Stormblood said:

Agreed! No one program is enough. I used the approach I mentioned to start and am using Mein Kampf and movies to finish it off! Next off to ze mozerland!

As apps, I started my last language (Russian) with Drops to learn initial vocabulary. Then also included Duolingo and Busuu after a while. I need it for work but I still feel like dropping because I don't like this language very much. It was either that or Arabic. Arabic sounds too sour for my tastes.

Anyway, here's a video I watched some weeks ago that is very helpful too: https://youtu.be/illApgaLgGA

Stormblood said:
Eric13 said:
Stormblood said:

As apps, I started my last language (Russian) with Drops to learn initial vocabulary. Then also included Duolingo and Busuu after a while. I need it for work but I still feel like dropping because I don't like this language very much. It was either that or Arabic. Arabic sounds too sour for my tastes.

Anyway, here's a video I watched some weeks ago that is very helpful too: https://youtu.be/illApgaLgGA

If you need additional material I have a roommate who is studying Russian and she'd be happy to share her lectures with me.

What stormblood said is basically the only way to become fluent: Immersion.

Being fluent means you're around the people and culture, and you'll absorb it intuitively. Language reflects that.
(Grammar and vocab is necessary for the basics though)

I'd like to add my two cents about grammar.

For any and all stages of learning, grammar is not what's important. It's remembering when and how to use the structures that is.
For example, knowing how to formulate a present perfect sentence and when to use it.

And this can be learned naturally, with clear and constant repetitions of examples that make use of that structure in the right context, and then dynamic exercises to put the learner's new acquired information into practice.

For this purpose, knowing the names of each structure and grammatical element is not necessary. However, too many methods focus on this nowadays.
I am currently working in an English (as a second language) school whose methodology focuses way too much on the grammatical aspects of the language, basically treating each sentence as if it were an algebraical expression; a math problem. We are trained to literally ask the students what are the elements of the sentence, one by one, like: "what is this? The verb or the subject?" "And this?", as you write the names of the elements on the board one by one under the sentence in a "formula" fashion, like: "subject + auxiliary + verb + complement".
Then you have to ask the students to name the keywords that are typically used in that structure. "For", "since", "ever", "already", "yet", etc.

All this useless thing becomes basically a second dimension of the class, makes the lesson too overloaded and drives the focus away from the most important point, which is to lead the student to acquire the ability to use that structure in communication. This actually becomes a problem, as I see many students who are able to memorize the grammatical rules, but reach the final stages of the course struggling to formulate simple sentences and even making mistakes with sentences from beginner level at times, because there was too much focus on grammar and not enough on active use of the structures.

Grammar should be something as automatic as possible. For example, if a student constantly makes the mistake of saying "I can to speak", with a number of times they hear and repeat "I can speak", this should be enough for the student to memorize that "to" is not supposed to be used. Then after the learner has reached a decent level of communication skill, grammar classes should be offered as something optional for the student. The actual grammatical terms and explanations are useless for most people who are only interested in becoming able to communicate in that language.

And yes, one definitely needs as much immersion as one can get.

Dypet Rod said:
For this purpose, knowing the names of each structure and grammatical element is not necessary. However, too many methods focus on this nowadays.
This. I completely agree. Back when I was in school learning English, it was the exact same.
By 8th grade I had near native-level skill in English, which was for the most part self-taught through what people here call "immersion". Basically just always thinking in English, and having all media-consumption in English. I just did it because I like it far more than my native language, and it feels a lot more clean and natural. I aced the English exam with top scores without spending any time studying, and even now I wouldn't be able to tell you what "tense" a specific sentence is.

I think I asked this once in the forum, but I didn't get an answer.

So: Even though man had previous lives, he probably spoke different languages there. Then why can't those languages be retrieved? How can the knowledge gained in previous lives be brought into this life?

Or is it written in many Gods that he teaches languages or "immediately makes it possible to speak another language (Hael). How does it work? Someone has experience with it?"

Thanks.

Way_Seeker666 said:
Jack said:
Or you can simply pirate it.

Promoting illegal activities is against forum rules and puts this site at risk. Don't do it.
I didn't know this was illegal. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back