Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

(Off topic) Dark theme

Ardgion

Can we get a dark theme for forums? And an option to switch between light and dark theme?

We're looking into a big update on the forums, like a big update. I'm doing the necessary research on how this would be possible. Maybe it's possible.

Alternatively, there are some browser extensions that can do this. Also, Samsung Browser in Android does that. The extent of that I'm not sure how much.

Ardgion said:
Can we get a dark theme for forums? And an option to switch between light and dark theme?

It may be a while before HP Cobra and rest of the team finish updating the site. But since that is going to take a while, 6 days ago this extension for chrome came out and I have got to say that this is, in my opinion the best extension to use for a dark theme and even includes options to tweak brightness/contrast,sepia and greytone.

Here is the link(s) I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)
Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en
Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/darkreader/

HAIL SATAN AND ALL THOSE ALLIED TO HIM :)

HP. Hoodedcobra666 said:
We're looking into a big update on the forums, like a big update. I'm doing the necessary research on how this would be possible. Maybe it's possible.

Alternatively, there are some browser extensions that can do this. Also, Samsung Browser in Android does that. The extent of that I'm not sure how much.

Thank you! I had no idea there are extensions for this. My life has become much easier now. I'll always prefer darker backgrounds over light ones.

Instead of the addon mentioned above, which for me used more cpu power, I have been using this one for a while, and it worked better on other pages like github, email, etc at least for me.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dark-background-light-text/

Samsung browser has really cool dark theme. I really like the colours.

HP. Hoodedcobra666 said:
I'm doing the necessary research on how this would be possible. Maybe it's possible.
Yes, it is possible! The trick is to add some CSS code to tell the browser to show dark colors if the user device is in dark mode. I will try making that CSS code to be added to the main forum CSS, if I succeed I will post the code here in this topic

So hey, I have made the code to be added to the forum to have a dark mode.
It's more of an hack but basically it inverts all colors of the website's items except for the images. Below is a preview:

If @HP Hooded Cobra chooses to add it to the site, you will be able to see the dark mode only if your device (or browser) supports it (like Safari browser of iOS devices) and you have enabled dark mode. Most modern browsers support that feature, in case of doubt you can check here.
Hopefully it will make your eyes not burn when you read the forum at night in darkness anymore.
I'm not sure how to add the code to PHPBB but it should be added at the end of the existing CSS (existing CSS NOT to be removed). I really hope someone try and test it before pushing it anyways, I don't want to cause any damage by submitting my little work.
Here it is:

Code:
@media screen and (prefers-color-scheme: dark) {
	#page-body, .navbar {
		background-color: lightgray;
		filter: invert(1)
	}
	img {
		filter: invert(1)
	}
}
Again, please test it (and if you like the idea, you can even improve it). I have tested it on Firefox browser (TOR actually).
Hope this can be useful :)

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back