Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Hing

FancyMancy

I came across this accidentally. I find it quite interesting.

UIrtV67.jpg

Hing or Heeng is the Hindi word for Asafetida, which has also been known as devil's dung and stinking gum. (It is also known as asant, food of the gods, jowani badian, hengu, ingu, kayam, and ting.) ... Hing can be used to balance out foods that are too sour, sweet, salty, or spicy.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/definition-of-hing-or-heeng-1957481

Asafoetida
jMQgbPe.jpg

Asafoetida (/æsəˈfɛtɪdə/; also spelled asafœtida)[1] பெருங்காயம் is the dried latex (gum oleoresin) exuded from the rhizome or tap root of several species of Ferula foetida, a perennial herb that grows 1 to 1.5 m (3.3 to 4.9 ft) tall. It is part of the celery family Umbelliferae. Asafoetida is thought to be in the same genus as silphium, a plant now believed to be extinct, and was used as a cheaper substitute for that historically important herb. The species is native to the deserts of Iran and mountains of Afghanistan, but is mainly cultivated in nearby India.[2]

Asafoetida has a pungent smell, thus its trivial name stinking gum, but in cooked dishes it delivers a smooth flavour reminiscent of leeks. It is also known as food of the gods, devil's dung, jowani badian, hing, hengu, inguva, kayam, and ting.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asafoetida

V8NciHv.jpg

1oW1Cax.jpg

dKpASAS.jpg

2uYNhlD.jpg

(Except for the stinky dung part, which that can also be said about some foods/ingredients)Fancy!

Someone once said/sang "The Devil has all the best tunes", and someone else either asked, "Why should the Devil have all the best tunes?" or said, "The Devil should not have all the best tunes". Some would consider the sound of food cooking to be 'music to their ears', and this Devil's balancing ingredient is intriguing and that it can grow in arid ground, no less - and what does that last picture of Asafoetida look like? Peacock (Indian peafowl) plumage.

I just thought I'd share that with you.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back