Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Jewish Israeli Historian admits truths regarding the First Arab-Israeli War

Ninja 666

I'm translating the additional commentary on this from Norwegian so it can be a little off. All the quotations are originally in English from the original poster.

I have chosen not to credit the original poster due to recognition by bots or similar ways of "tracking" it for deletion.

https://snl.no/Israels_historie

3rd of May, 2012

In the chapter about the 1948 first Arab-Israeli War there should be done significant changes.

When the IDFs (Israel Defense Forces) a few years back opened their archives to historians for investigation, we gained new information about what happened in this war.

Was the Arabian attackers better equipped like it was claimed? Here is what Alan Cunningham (The British High Commissioner of Palestine) had to say about the Arabian armies:

”..these armies have neither the training, equipment nor reserves of ammunition to maintain an army in the field far from their bases for any length of time, if at all.”

Or what General John Bagot Glubb (Commanding General of the Arab Legion) wrote about the war:

”The Arab statesmen did not intended war..But in the end they entered Palestine and ordered their commanders to advance as a result of public opinion and a desire to appease the ’street’ ”

As is also revealed from the chapter about the war in 1948, it's written “.. then Syrian and Lebanese forces [was to enter]..”

So what was the reality?

Lebanon:

”At the last minute, Lebanon decided not to participate in the invasion. The decision, taken on 14 May, no doubt shook the Syrians. The Lebanese army did not joint he invasion as its main forces were concentrated between Tyre and Ras al-Naqurah. General Shihab had refused to invade Palestine and argued that his army is only a defensive army and incapable of offense”..

”But on 5-6 June, the Lebanese Army, assisted by a Syrian batalion and the ALA, recapture al-Malikiya, which had been left in the hands of a Haganah garrison company. The attack – Lebonon’s only success in the war – enabled Beirut to argue, at least, that they had participated in the assault on Israel. The Lebanese army withdrew from al-Malikiya , handing it over to the ALA, on 8 July, at the end of the First Truce”.

Quote: Benny Morris [My note: a Jew, Israeli historian.] ”1948 – The First Arab-Israeli War” s. 260.

”But even more unsettling for the whole Arab coalition was Jordan’s last-minute announcement of changed intentions and objectives. That day Jordan informed its partners that its army was heading for Ramallah, Nablus and Hebron, to take over the area later known as the West bank; it had no intention of thrusting northwestward, toward Afula, or of driving westward, to the sea. The goal of the Arab Legion – the Arab world’s best army, as all acknowledged and as it emerged – was the peaceful takeover of the core Arab area of Palestine, not war with the Jews. As a result, Syria’s and Egypt’s war plans were, at the last minute, radically and unilaterally altered”.

Quote: Benny Morris ”1948 – The First Arab-Israeli War” s. 189.

As known King Abdullah signed a non-aggression pact with Ben Gurion about Jordan incorporating the Arab-dominated parts of Palestine - today known as the West Bank. But Ben Gurion wanted to secure the Jewish population in Jerusalem and decided to break the deal with the Jordanians.

”Ben Gurion demanded that Haganah take Latrun and all the surrounding villages and break through to Jerusalem. It was to be the first time Israel breached the tacit nonaggression agreement with Abullah; the area had been earmarked by the United Nations for Arab sovereignty. During the following weeks, Israel made three major efforts to take Latrun – and failed each time with heavy losses”.

Quote: Benny Morris ”1948 – The First Arab-Israeli War” s. 220

So what becomes then of the 5 Arabian armies that invaded Israel?

Syria, Iraq and Egypt.

Where then did the Iraqis attack?

”On 28 May an Iraqi battalion attacked and took part of the Coastal Plain settlement of Geulim, southeast of Netanya. Alexandroni troops counterattacked – while the Iraqis were busy looting – and retook it. A handful of IAF aircraft periodically bombed and strafed the Iraqis during the next three days. The Iraqis hunkered down in Samaria and made no further offensive effort, except the capture on 30-31 May of Ras al-Ein Water pumping station, midway between Geulim and Lydda”.

Quote: Benny Morris ”1948 – The First Arab-Israeli War” s. 248.

It is my opinion that there should be done significant changes - to say the least, due to the background Benny Morris has documented in his book from 2008 (”1948”) that I referenced above.

Benny Morris [My note: I just like to emphasize he is a Jew, and Israeli historian. So here you have it from the rats mouth.]

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back