Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Curly and Wavy hair - trouble

Maybe some SS can give me advice about this? My reasoning may seem silly but I'm not a professionals and I haven't noticed this until people around me improved their appearance.

I was born with wavy blonde to brown hair. My parents said it was even curly back then but that after my first haircut it remained wavy. I remember my rich hair from when I was a child, silky and soft.

Now my hair looks straight, and is slick, thin, with that unnatural shine and glued on my head, hanging down, flat roots, sticking out laterally in the middle layers, having that dreadful triangle shape (although I wash it often - could I wash it too much? ). My haircut doesn't look good on me either. Doesn't fit. Has no shape. It's messy and looks pushed forward at the front like any wavy head but without being wavy.

I tried making it wavy again by drying with a diffuser and crunching it but it doesn't work. Sometimes it has a little wave, but I don't have a wave pattern anymore. It doesn't "lift". When it's wet though, it does build up and twist, oftentimes in tightly curled strands but after, it dries bland.

As a child I have used a regular shampoo, hair mask and conditioner as far as I remember, then plopped my hair up for some minutes and blow dried it - very close to the head and burning hot, which now I know is not healthy, but it still stayed wavy.

When my roommate was little for example, her straight haired mother used to take care of her hair like she cared for hers, and combing and drying it that way made it straight but it didn't suit her. When she found out about the right products and started treating it like curly hair, it regained its texture (her father has curly hair). Even if she was born with it, it didn't show until it was treated accordingly. It gave off some signs, like lightly curling in humid places but looked indefinite and odd.

Could it be the hairstyle that weighs it down? I must say that due to a bad mistake a year ago when I shaved half of my head (stupid, I know), the hair has grown unequally in a round shape, embracing the head. This may press on the locks and cause them to stretch, which straightens the waves, I guess, but I'm no expert.

Besides the thick and thin notions and the 12 hair types by chart, is it something I'm overlooking? Maybe I'm combing it wrong?

I appreciate future answers.

I had a curly hair too. It is hard to maintain the cureliness when your hair is long, and such a head ache. I'm not an expert too but I think you should stay with a straight hair, and get a shampoo for thin hair. Why did you shave only the half of it?? :lol: Yea if you shave your hair it can cause cowlicks, I shaved it too but I am a boy. You can try pull up your hair while its drying, so it won't straighten as it dries.
This is how I treated my hair when it was curly: before I washed it I comb it out, after I wash it leaning back, comb it to the back with a wooden large tooth comb, after lean foreward so your hair drops, and start to push it up, until it dries, or half way you stand up and start pushing it up, as long you do it, that curly will it be, from my experiences. IT MAY NOT WORK FOR YOUR HAIR STYLE.
And it's a 50% it will look good cause the locks may not look good if, for exemple they sticked together. You could try a shorter hair stile too, mainly if it's fragmented.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back