Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Intense cravings

existentialcrisis

Sometimes I get intense cravings for acid. I feel like eating lemons and pineapples and drinking pickle juice, anything highly acidic. But it doesn't kill the craving, like an itch that can't be scratched.

What does this mean?
I noticed that sometimes it directly follows a bout of heartburn, but not always.

existentialcrisis said:
Sometimes I get intense cravings for acid. I feel like eating lemons and pineapples and drinking pickle juice, anything highly acidic. But it doesn't kill the craving, like an itch that can't be scratched.

What does this mean?
I noticed that sometimes it directly follows a bout of heartburn, but not always.

The sour flavor promotes for the preservation of liquid in the body, which would make sense if you ate fruit to counter the heat of a hot summer. The heartburn represents stomach heat/inflammation, so that would be the source of that. If you have other signs of redness or feeling hot, this would show the presence of heat in the body.

Smite said:
If you commonly crave acidic foods, you could be low in stomach acid. Strong stomach acid is your body's first line of defense and serves the purpose of sterilizing your food, disinfecting the stomach, and breaking down your foods.
Try eating foods that increases stomach acid. Like chocolate, mint, beverages, citrus, coffee and tomatoes

Your advice on stomach acid supporting foods is very off. Before giving health advice, at least try to know a little on what you want to talk about.

Coffee is alkaline, same as chocolate. These don't help to build your stomach acid at all, instead these will lower the PH and negatively impact your digestion.

Beverages? These aren't stomach building, instead they will tax your stomach and require strong digestive acids to break down.

Mint, what do you think this is? Guess what. Alkaline. What does that mean? Lowers ph. Bad for stomach acid.

Tomatoes and citrus. Hmm, yeah these are acidic, they have low ph values and would be beneficial for your stomach acid, however they don't build acids either.

At best they will help to balance out the ph in your stomach to allow your stomach acid to do its work.

You cannot eat stuff to build more gastric acids.

Your stomach regulates this itself, and the components used to build gastric acids are primarily Chloride ions and protons secreted from the cells close to the stomach which regulate the gastric acid.

Potassium and Sodium are also used, however these are used as a catalyst to facilitate the chemical reaction to produce gastric acid, and are almost entirely reabsorbed during the process and not actually consumed.

Therefore the best way to support your gastric acid and your stomach, is to try not to eat or drink too many things which are alkaline or which would raise the PH significantly close before or after eating.

And also to consume probiotic foods after eating to support your digestion with probiotic enzymes which your stomach really appreciates. Such as Kefir.

Coffee is unironically one of the worst things to consume with regards to your gastric acid, as it will drastically lower the PH of your stomach and thus require your body to produce a lot more gastric acid to regulate the lost PH and recover the stomach environment to the necessary state for healthy digestion.

Another important thing is not to drink a lot of water after eating or shortly before eating, as again, this dilutes the gastric acid and lowers the PH of your stomach, which inhibits digestion and requires extra compensation by your stomach to regulate the digestion and lower the PH to the required values.

One glass of water about 10 minutes before eating is optimal to hydrate your body and your digestive tract before food will travel through it.

Then wait at least 30 minutes before drinking some more, best even if you manage to wait an hour or so.

Drink to hydrate in between meals, not during them. Unless you drink juices which these are the same as solid food in regards to digestion and can be drank whenever without any issues.

Hail Satan!

existentialcrisis said:

What does this mean?

Sour flavour cravings is either implying a dryness or collapsing of Yin (fluids) upon which the stomach relies to digest or the presence of significant phlegm in the digestive system as the sour flavour can emulsify fats.

To rule out the former, are you also struggling to stay asleep at night or feeling hot/sweating when you sleep?

Heartburn could be due to either yin deficiency of the stomach (usually accompanied by a feeling of hunger but then feeling sick when eating, with a very low desire to drink water) or phlegm.

Phlegm symptoms are too many to list here.

Thanks for your replies, everyone.

Centralforce666 said:
existentialcrisis said:

What does this mean?

Sour flavour cravings is either implying a dryness or collapsing of Yin (fluids) upon which the stomach relies to digest or the presence of significant phlegm in the digestive system as the sour flavour can emulsify fats.

To rule out the former, are you also struggling to stay asleep at night or feeling hot/sweating when you sleep?

Heartburn could be due to either yin deficiency of the stomach (usually accompanied by a feeling of hunger but then feeling sick when eating, with a very low desire to drink water) or phlegm.

Phlegm symptoms are too many to list here.
Hi, Centralforce, I appreciate your attention.
I have struggled with low quality sleep since childhood. I have not had a sleep study or anything done, but I wake up easily and rarely dream or feel rested from sleep. I've woken up to doors opening and closing in the house and even woke up to someone coming up the stairwell outside the apartment from the floor below. I do need a cold room to be able to sleep, and have woken up hot/sweating at times, though maybe that could just be due to people messing with the thermostat.

Heartburn isn't something I experience chronically, it was just an observation that lately I seem to crave acidity after heartburn when I do get it. I definitely sense that I am phlegmatic.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back