Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Bipolar

So my friend has been taking this shit medicine for bipolar disorder for more than three years now. When she stops taking medicine her heart starts beating fast, her hands shake badly even in the middle of night she wakes up by twitching, shaking of her hands. A while ago when she quit it, she had a seizure maybe. More than twice. So she can't quit medication now?

She says if she quits she will die.

I want her to get rid of this medication safely for her.

Could anyone help please.

Did she quit it completely all at once, or did she try to gradually reduce the dose over the course of a few months until finally quitting it totally?

Usually with those kinds of medicine, it messes with the chemical processes in the nerves and cells, to where certain processes are altered or even halted entirely in order to prevent certain behaviors or emotional triggers, etc. (Apologies for a very layman's explanation).

If suddenly this medicine stops being taken, then the previous alterations to the chemical processes in the brain and nerves which have become normalized through long term use of the medicine, will be entirely out of whack and can cause severe reactions as suddenly things which had been repressed by the medicine are overdosing the nerves or brain.

Reducing the dose in small stages, such as reducing it by 1/4th, or even 1/8th at a time, every few weeks, can allow the body to slowly adjust to this chemical change and allow someone to quit taking medicines like that safely.

Of course, it goes without saying one should consult with a doctor on this (just let her go to a regular doctor first and explain what happened and that she wants to quit the medicine, they should be able to give decent advice).

Also, it would help if you could look online about the specific medicines side effects and other things that can happen with long term use and also when one tries to quit the medicine.

You may give the name here as well and we can help you look for this too.

As a general rule, when quitting these kinds of medicines, never quit them all at once cold turkey so to speak, as this often caused severe adverse affects to the body like she experienced.

VoiceofEnki said:
Did she quit it completely all at once, or did she try to gradually reduce the dose over the course of a few months until finally quitting it totally?

Usually with those kinds of medicine, it messes with the chemical processes in the nerves and cells, to where certain processes are altered or even halted entirely in order to prevent certain behaviors or emotional triggers, etc. (Apologies for a very layman's explanation).

If suddenly this medicine stops being taken, then the previous alterations to the chemical processes in the brain and nerves which have become normalized through long term use of the medicine, will be entirely out of whack and can cause severe reactions as suddenly things which had been repressed by the medicine are overdosing the nerves or brain.

Reducing the dose in small stages, such as reducing it by 1/4th, or even 1/8th at a time, every few weeks, can allow the body to slowly adjust to this chemical change and allow someone to quit taking medicines like that safely.

Of course, it goes without saying one should consult with a doctor on this (just let her go to a regular doctor first and explain what happened and that she wants to quit the medicine, they should be able to give decent advice).

Also, it would help if you could look online about the specific medicines side effects and other things that can happen with long term use and also when one tries to quit the medicine.

You may give the name here as well and we can help you look for this too.

As a general rule, when quitting these kinds of medicines, never quit them all at once cold turkey so to speak, as this often caused severe adverse affects to the body like she experienced.
Okay.. Gradually. Slowly. Thanks :)

Maybe almost at once yeah that's why. Now she has mouth tongue ulcers for over a month not going away. Doctor saying he will take a cut of her tongue to do biopsy.

BTW, she is in China. Taking Chinese traditional medicine now.

OK. Here's the list of medicines she has been taking

She is taking medication and these are "Quetiapine, lithium carbonate, amfebutamone," the friend has been taking lithium for two years, two times a day, Quetiapine one month, three tablets in the night.

Amfebutamone twice a day.
She has been taking it for one month. She was taking some other medicines for 1 year. She always due to the prescription changed medicines during the almost four years of period.

Just a quick online search let me find multiple articles about this medicine. You can do this yourself quit easily as well. Unfortunately, I myself am not a doctor, nor an expert in traditional Chinese medicine or alternative medicine, so I cannot give any specific advice as to what she should take or do to improve her situation.

All I can say is to take serious precaution with these kinds of medicine.

Read here for a simple explanation (I'm sure there may be better sources online, but I do not have time to look for this).

https://addictionresource.com/drugs/seroquel/withdrawal/

https://addictionresource.com/drugs/wellbutrin/withdrawal-and-detox/

I linked those articles so you can see for yourself what is expected to happen in case someone decides to quit these medicines abruptly. It's very harmful and often causes severe withdrawal symptoms.

She needs to do this under supervision of a doctor if she can, if not, she needs to taper the dose slowly as I explained.

As for the ulcers in her tongue, I do not know what may be the cause of this, or how to heal these. A biopsy is usually nothing bad, though it is unpleasant to get it done. I don't know how good the healthcare is in her region either. My advice based on the very limited knowledge of her situation would be, first take the doctors advice and let them investigate what is going on, hear their findings, and perhaps if this is possible, get a second opinion from a different hospital or doctor as well.

After they find out what it most likely is, investigate this yourself to the best of your ability, online, etc. See if there are any suggestions about natural cures or self treatment one can apply to heal these, if not or if these are not an option, let her speak with her doctor about treatment methods if she hasn't already. Personally I would suggest trying the least invasive method they believe may help, regardless of other suggestions, and if this doesn't help, consult again and decide on which method to use.

In the meantime, I hope someone with more medical expertise could also answer you.

She is getting the wrong message she wont die comming off but wil have withdrawls, kind of similar to ilicit drugs.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back