Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Different scrubbing brushes for skin, some have charcoal?

Adrellis

I'm on the fence but leaning towards "not using it," for charcoal in toothpaste..but I've been finding and have had scrubbing brushes in the shower, with charcoal in/on them, recommended to me.

How bad are they? How bad is the charcoal, since it's rubbed against the skin, will the skin absorb it? What other scrubbing brushes should I look at instead?

I've tried a standard normal one and it's worked ok, but is falling apart. Wash rags were never enough for my body hair, sadly. My skin gets clean, the hair not always, despite using different shampoos and body wash. So i'm shopping for a new brush, sponge, loufa, whatever might work

Adrellis said:
I'm on the fence but leaning towards "not using it," for charcoal in toothpaste..but I've been finding and have had scrubbing brushes in the shower, with charcoal in/on them, recommended to me.

How bad are they? How bad is the charcoal, since it's rubbed against the skin, will the skin absorb it? What other scrubbing brushes should I look at instead?

I've tried a standard normal one and it's worked ok, but is falling apart. Wash rags were never enough for my body hair, sadly. My skin gets clean, the hair not always, despite using different shampoos and body wash. So i'm shopping for a new brush, sponge, loufa, whatever might work

Ever considered that it might be the soap you're using?

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Adrellis said:

I've considered it's the liquid soap, hair length, and other stuff. A recent purchase of a more "exfoliating" sponge has helped, a bit rough against the skin, but it does clean better.

I try finding soaps that avoid the alcohol as much as possible, and are dioxide-stuff free, so no aluminum or titanium. in fact none of my stuff uses aluminum or titanium dioxides.

could it be I need something specific in the soap, to handle the problem? I know what to avoid, not what to look for, so I'll take advice on this.

This goes against common opinion, but hair doesn't really need shampoo, the idea that your hair gets dirty and constantly needs shampoo to get cleaned is a marketing trick that fooled the whole population, and guess who sells you the shitty shampoo for $$$.

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in months, and I had a woman smell it and she said it's totally fine, and people love touching my hair because it's curly and soft.

Good subreddit about it:https://www.reddit.com/r/NoPoo/

Aquarius said:
This goes against common opinion, but hair doesn't really need shampoo, the idea that your hair gets dirty and constantly needs shampoo to get cleaned is a marketing trick that fooled the whole population, and guess who sells you the shitty shampoo for $$$.

I haven't washed my hair with shampoo in months, and I had a woman smell it and she said it's totally fine, and people love touching my hair because it's curly and soft.

K so how do you get the dust and dirt out?

Adrellis said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Adrellis said:

I've considered it's the liquid soap, hair length, and other stuff. A recent purchase of a more "exfoliating" sponge has helped, a bit rough against the skin, but it does clean better.

I try finding soaps that avoid the alcohol as much as possible, and are dioxide-stuff free, so no aluminum or titanium. in fact none of my stuff uses aluminum or titanium dioxides.

could it be I need something specific in the soap, to handle the problem? I know what to avoid, not what to look for, so I'll take advice on this.

They used to rinse peoples hair with alcohol to get the smoke scent out of it, at the hairdressers.
Alcohol also degreases, so this might be why. You could try looking for other degreasing substances, or if your products don't foam much, to look for one that foams a bit more. It does help to spread the product.

May I ask why you're using exfoliating products for the skin (more like 'why does it sound like a 'must')?

Also with body hair are you also referring to hair that grows on the arms and legs or something else? I take it that its not just the hair growing on your head.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Aquarius said:

Water?
In the case of severe dirtiness maybe sulfate free shampoos.
Or you could make your own shampoo with all natural ingredients, there's plenty of recipes online.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
Aquarius said:

Essential oils mixed with raw honey is an alternative to shampoo that I heard about. The OP can try it too if they wish to. The people I've seen who say they do this have nice skin and shiny soft looking hair or beards for the men. I haven't tried it myself but going to. Hopefully they were being honest

hailourtruegod said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Aquarius said:

Essential oils mixed with raw honey is an alternative to shampoo that I heard about. The OP can try it too if they wish to. The people I've seen who say they do this have nice skin and shiny soft looking hair or beards for the men. I haven't tried it myself but going to. Hopefully they were being honest

Goos luck. To me it sounds like they just end up with a sticky mess in their hair.

Aquarius said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Aquarius said:

Water?
In the case of severe dirtiness maybe sulfate free shampoos.
Or you could make your own shampoo with all natural ingredients, there's plenty of recipes online.

I tend to get more dust in my hair than the average person due to my work. If I just go take a shower and let water run through it, not only does all the grease on my scalp run over the strands of hair, it doesn't get the dust out. If I brush it once its dry again I always have dust particles sticking to the lost hairs.

Also the extra grease can increase clogged pores, and thus acne.

Its not that people NEVER washed their hair, they just used different methods.

hailourtruegod said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:
Aquarius said:

Perhaps it needs to be dissolved into water before use?

I would stay away from charcoal brushes. Most whitening toothpaste and strips bleach the dentine(I think it's called?) Making it white. Where as charcoal literally scrapes off the enamel of your teeth to make it white, which just causes unnecessary problems

Aquarius said:

If you don't mind me asking what do you do with your hair then? Like do you wash it with water or do you keep it dry in the shower, and does the sweat make it bad or anything?

Someone.something_ said:
Aquarius said:

If you don't mind me asking what do you do with your hair then? Like do you wash it with water or do you keep it dry in the shower, and does the sweat make it bad or anything?
No, very simply I just wash it with water, like you know.. Make it wet and just rinse it.
I haven't noticed anything bad about sweating, but I guess that has to do with the kind of hair?
I don't really do anything specific with my hair, just rinse and dry with a towel.

Lunar Dance 666 said:
hailourtruegod said:
Lunar Dance 666 said:

Goos luck. To me it sounds like they just end up with a sticky mess in their hair.

Raw honey isn't nowhere as sticky as that white sugar stuff but it still is somewhat so dissolving it in water like you said could help with that. I'll look into it somewhere and give an update.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back