Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Canker sore treatments, like actual treatments?

Adrellis

Canker sores, which are ulcers inside the mouth and not cold sores on the outside of the mouth...

I've had one for over a week now, it's healing up and I'm being careful about what I eat, and what gets near it. However I've taken a mess of OTC medicines for the pain. I've done orajel (benzocaine), ibuprofen pills for long term, and tried a baking soda and salt mouth wash for the pH levels..Orajel lasts 10 minutes at most and is WAY too weak to be useful, ibuprofen helped but I don't want to be reliant on painkillers (again...), and the first time I used the baking soda, I used too much and my teeth are still recovering.

I've also tried a bit of ginger tea, as ulcers are injuries that have swollen, and ginger is an anti-inflammatory, I thought.

I'll take advice on treating one in the future, as this is my second this year, and has healed slower than the previous one. I also didn't find anything by searching on the Health subforum for "canker."

This is for canker sores not cold sores, not fever blisters, those are viral. This is an aphthous ulcer, fancy name for it. Nasty, ugly, painful thing that doesn't like nothing.

Hello Adrellis,

Goldenseal Root powder (pure), is not only excellent for cold sores, but great as a mouthwash to heal canker sores. The health benefits of goldenseal root go way beyond these as well. I've used it for quite some time to heal mouthsores along with lysine.
You can get it fairly priced at curease.com .
Here is an article on some of it's benefits.
https://www.peacehealth.org/medical-topics/id/hn-2099007#:~:text=Goldenseal%20has%20been%20used%20historically,sores%20and%20other%20mouth%20irritations.

You can also put an eighth or a quarter of a teaspoon of the powder in chamomile tea and drink it slowly, running it around the inside of your mouth.
Make sure you use some type of sweetener if you use it in tea because its very bitter
Hope you feel better soon
Hail Father Satan

I'll see if I can get some goldenseal root locally, next time one crops up (no pun intended), thanks

Salt directly on the canker sore? That just sounds painful. The baking soda, salt, and water rinse wasn't too bad, but directly on it? An ulcer? Hm..never heard that one but alright

Mouth sores are due to stomach and spleen damp and heat..

Tongue sores are due to heart fire.

Both types of heat can be cleared by the use of cooling and bitter foods such as asparagus, rocket, bitter melon and aloe and herbs such as Shi Gao and Zhi Mu.

The two herbs mentioned are very strong in nature and should be used with caution.

Ultimately reducing the amount of heat and damp in the diet will help the sores stop recurring over a longer period of time.

Both types of heat can be cleared by the use of cooling and bitter foods such as asparagus, rocket, bitter melon and aloe and herbs such as Shi Gao and Zhi Mu.

The two herbs mentioned are very strong in nature and should be used with caution.

Ultimately reducing the amount of heat and damp in the diet will help the sores stop recurring over a longer period of time.

thebigcheesesixmillion said:
Are canker sore flare ups on the inside of the mouth caused by the extremely common dormant herpes that most people carry?

Also is it possible its simply a type of food allergy reaction? I have noticed literally everytime I eat spaghetti, pasta or pizza my gums get dark and I get canker sores. I might not be a real Italian after all *cries*

Or perhaps this is a scurvy symptom or vitamin deficiency. I'm poor and I don't get alot of sun, fruit is expensive and never actually ripe where I live in California.

I have tried bananas but they don't help. Any advice on destroying this miserable canker sore condition FOREVER?
L-Lysine

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back