Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Raw Milk

Aquarius

I get raw cow milk locally, I've been discussing it with another SS and he said it's not safe. I've searched on the forums but haven't found any good answer to my question. Is drinking raw milk potentially harmful? Or is it just the typical western fear mongering?

I can't say with certainty but I feel like my nose gets blocked everytime I drink or eat anything dairy related.
In Hindu culture, the topmost god is Shiva. He is generally portrayed as sitting on a cow. Cow which produces milk.

However, I have been addicted to milk tea and still find it hard to resist it.

Well, there is nothing unsafe about the milk itself. It's just that when it comes out and is not processed it can (and probably will to an extent) contaminate a bit. That is risk for small children, pregnant women, those with lower immune defenses, and so on.

So for a healthy person as long as it is handled and stored well, I see no problem.

I haven’t had it but I hear it’s great for you a few years back they were trying to ban it here. It has more nutrients than pasteurized milk and is natural.

I agree with Henu. I have been drinking raw milk almost everyday 8 for years. Never had a problem. The only problem I have had are minor digestive changes when I do not have it for months. That's because it contains living elements like enzyme and beneficial bacteria-- it can cause a cleansing effect. Anyone saying that raw milk is dangerous doesn't know much about how nature works and the process of milk handling. Nature doesn't make mistakes. The only thing that makes mistakes are humans apparently. If the cow is healthy and has clean and healthy living conditions, then the milk is healthy. There are bacteria and the enzymes in milk that protects it from being harmful. The difference is if you have processed dead milk from the store, when it spoils, you have to throw it out unless you'll get very ill from it. When it comes to raw grass fed milk, it doesn't spoil, it just transforms into whey, kefir and or yogurt in different conditions.

People who are lactose intolerant cannot have processed dead milk that has been pasteurized since pasteurization kills all the bacteria responsible for digesting lactose.

Of course some people can't handle milk because of the heavy or dampness effect but that has nothing to do with it being harmful. People prone to mucus in the body should have very little or none. One can counter that with hot milk with spices in it like chia, cardamom, cinnamon, etc, which balances the cold heaviness of the milk.

I really like raw grass fed milk. Good for calories, contains a decent amount of nutrients and compliments meals and different foods for drinking and cooking. I am a sucker for a good hot chocolate made with raw milk. Extra creamy.

HPS Shannon said:
I agree with Henu. I have been drinking raw milk almost everyday 8 for years. Never had a problem. The only problem I have had are minor digestive changes when I do not have it for months. That's because it contains living elements like enzyme and beneficial bacteria-- it can cause a cleansing effect. Anyone saying that raw milk is dangerous doesn't know much about how nature works and the process of milk handling. Nature doesn't make mistakes. The only thing that makes mistakes are humans apparently. If the cow is healthy and has clean and healthy living conditions, then the milk is healthy. There are bacteria and the enzymes in milk that protects it from being harmful. The difference is if you have processed dead milk from the store, when it spoils, you have to throw it out unless you'll get very ill from it. When it comes to raw grass fed milk, it doesn't spoil, it just transforms into whey, kefir and or yogurt in different conditions.

People who are lactose intolerant cannot have processed dead milk that has been pasteurized since pasteurization kills all the bacteria responsible for digesting lactose.

Of course some people can't handle milk because of the heavy or dampness effect but that has nothing to do with it being harmful. People prone to mucus in the body should have very little or none. One can counter that with hot milk with spices in it like chia, cardamom, cinnamon, etc, which balances the cold heaviness of the milk.

I really like raw grass fed milk. Good for calories, contains a decent amount of nutrients and compliments meals and different foods for drinking and cooking. I am a sucker for a good hot chocolate made with raw milk. Extra creamy.
Can't lie, was hoping for your answer, and as always, you give an outstanding answer. Thank you.

Aquarius said:
HPS Shannon said:

Can't lie, was hoping for your answer, and as always, you give an outstanding answer. Thank you.

You are very welcome.

I tried raw milk for the first time recently from a local farm. It was an interesting texture to get used to at first, but then I couldn't stop drinking it. Best milk I ever had, and I suffered no ill health consequences at all. I haven't had it again for a while, and I get a little grumpy sometimes about having to use the pasteurized milk because now it tastes like water. I've definitely been jonesing for some more raw milk.

Only downside is the shelf life. I bought four containers, and had to drink it all pretty quickly. If the farm wasn't quite as out of the way as it is then I would just buy smaller quantities regularly.

By the way, I read an article before buying the milk that talked about some doctor's successful experiments like ~100 years ago. Said it was some kind of miracle cure when the patients were put on a raw milk "fast" for a month. I'm skeptical still, but I loved the milk.

HPS Shannon said:
There are bacteria and the enzymes in milk that protects it from being harmful. The difference is if you have processed dead milk from the store, when it spoils, you have to throw it out unless you'll get very ill from it.

This is the key right here. The microbiota of unpasteurized items successfully competes against anything harmful. The sanitzation meme crowd thinks all bacteria is bad, so they kill off this bacteria. Then the bad bacteria can flourish and truly spoil the milk.

The exact same thing happens in the gut microbiome, the skin microbiome, and probably any other bacterial microbiome found in nature.

To think how badly modern milk has been bastardized from its natural state: the cow is fed dogshit, pumped with hormones, locked in cow prison, then the milk is pasteurized and put into BPA jugs. Then people drink it cold from the fridge and have issues with it. They then blame animal products and become vegans...lol

Blitzkreig said:
HPS Shannon said:
There are bacteria and the enzymes in milk that protects it from being harmful. The difference is if you have processed dead milk from the store, when it spoils, you have to throw it out unless you'll get very ill from it.

This is the key right here. The microbiota of unpasteurized items successfully competes against anything harmful. The sanitzation meme crowd thinks all bacteria is bad, so they kill off this bacteria. Then the bad bacteria can flourish and truly spoil the milk.

The exact same thing happens in the gut microbiome, the skin microbiome, and probably any other bacterial microbiome found in nature.

To think how badly modern milk has been bastardized from its natural state: the cow is fed dogshit, pumped with hormones, locked in cow prison, then the milk is pasteurized and put into BPA jugs. Then people drink it cold from the fridge and have issues with it. They then blame animal products and become vegans...lol

Exactly. Completely agree.

Blitzkreig said:
HPS Shannon said:

Is that why shelf-grade milk tastes awful even when warmed up?

Growing up, my family was obsessed with milk and cereals or milk and biscuits as breakfast. I remember I always had to add something to milk, like cocoa powder or a shot of coffee. Otherwise, I could not drink that stuff. When I was 18, we then went to my stepmother's country for her nephew's baptism. We stayed at her parent's place and I drank milk there. I assume it was raw, since they had their own cow, as well as other animals and they grew vegetables. Their country is made mostly of agricultural villages outside the main cities. That was the first time I liked milk on its own.

A few years later, I started buying organic milk and that's the only type of milk I could drink on its own, although it was pasteurised. Now, that I moved to a different country, they have this unhealthy habit of putting milk in plastic containers, which made me want to throw up the first time I tried milk here, because it literally tastes like plastic. In my birth country, we use mostly carton and tetra-pak as milk containers (and for juices as well).

What's your opinion on using plastic containers to store liquids and food?

Stormblood said:

Is that why shelf-grade milk tastes awful even when warmed up?

I don't know for certain, but of course the taste will be different. I have not personally had unpasteurized milk. Based on what you said about your upbringing, this sounds like the case.

What's your opinion on using plastic containers to store liquids and food?

Plastic leaches into the foods and liquids, even "microwave safe" which is just defined on FDA safety standards, not the basis of preventing all contamination. From what I read in the past, this occurs with all plastics, except for HEDT plastics, which are not commonly used in food or drink items. It occurs based on the plastic being exposed to heat, UV rays, microwave of course, and likely anything else.

So for the purpose of food storage, it is not good at all. The only things that are "ok" are prepping items, like MRE's and whatever. Of course standards have to be dropped for emergencies.

Besides just the direct health implications, plastics are not sustainable in relation to the environment. They are also so unprofitable to recycle that now even China does not want it anymore. I think the plastic waste to some poor South-East Asian countries that just burn it in open fields.

Paper/plant materials and glass will have to be used to replace plastics. Completely biodegradable, recyclable, and they don't leach anything harmful into what they contain. I envision some plastics will be used to manufacture cheap device parts, 3D printing, etc. However single-use or other unnecessary plastics all have to go, for the environment's sake.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back