Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Vertigo

Kinnaree

Lately, I've had this vertigo issue. Anytime I tilt head back and turn to the right side or while I'm lying down in bed turning to the right, sensations of vertigo starts. It starts off with a feeling of lightheaded to dizziness and a few seconds of the room spinning and then it stops.

The left side is not affected at all.

Moreover, every morning, no matter how well or long I sleep for, I'd wake up very lightheaded, like the feeling of being tipsy from drinking although I hadn't been.

At random moments, tinnitus happens in the right ear.

What can be the underlying issue? What can I do?

Kinnaree said:
Lately, I've had this vertigo issue. Anytime I tilt head back and turn to the right side or while I'm lying down in bed turning to the right, sensations of vertigo starts. It starts off with a feeling of lightheaded to dizziness and a few seconds of the room spinning and then it stops.

The left side is not affected at all.

Moreover, every morning, no matter how well or long I sleep for, I'd wake up very lightheaded, like the feeling of being tipsy from drinking although I hadn't been.

At random moments, tinnitus happens in the right ear.

What can be the underlying issue? What can I do?

There are a couple of underlying causes of vertigo, with the vertigo itself being caused by phlegm. You should read more on the 1st half of this article on vertigo. Since you mentioned tinnitus, I am guessing it is likely a kidney issue. However, there is a liver cause of tinnitus as well. You can differentiate them through this article on tinnitus, under the "Chinese Medicine View" tab.

These articles should give you a better insight on the issue, and it should enable you to think about your lifestyle factors from a better viewpoint. Thinking about those factors, please list:

Sleep time and quality:

Digestion quality (any bloating, heartburn, poor appetite, loose stool, etc):

General breakdown of diet:

General yin/yang balance, do you feel wired/anxious/can't sit still/hot, or do you feel sluggish, lazy, cold, etc:

Appearance indicators, such as undereye bags/discoloration, dryness, pimples, redness, nail/skin quality:

Any headaches or other symptoms of discomfort:

This will further breakdown any imbalance in the body. From there, I can advise you on certain lifestyle choices. As far as direct treatment, you can order herbs or do acupuncture on yourself, however seeing a TCM clinic would be the fastest option here (as well as having a paid clinician able to tend to you).

Blitzkreig said:
General yin/yang balance, do you feel wired/anxious/can't sit still/hot, or do you feel sluggish, lazy, cold, etc:

Thanks Blitzkreig.

This one i quoted is my problem. I am wired and can't sit still for long. I find myself mentally can not relax when I sit. I start to think by sitting and resting, I might get lazy and then stuff like chores won't get done, meals won't be ready on time, paperwork will be behind, etc. It's this back of the mind worry that I'll fail. I guess it's like an underlying fear of failure, I'm not being kind on myself to let myself just CHILL and enjoy the present moment. Ha! I figured it out just typing this. On the temperature, I am cold intolerant DESPITE being borderline hyperthyroidism. I have ectomorphic body type, if I have to give an idea of physical. For having hyperthyroidism and being wired, I should be warm but I'm cold intolerant. My hands, feet, nose, and my butt is cold... it's weird. To be frank, I have a plump butt yet it feels cold. It's honestly very odd.

I will need to see a tcm practitioner for sure. Thank you for those links.

I have started the red Korean ginseng+gingko biloba. It's since called down a bit but not gone. Yeah. So I'll see what the tcm Dr say. Again, thank you.

Kinnaree said:

That is good you are seeing a TCM doctor, as this will speed up your recovery.

What you say about yourself being an ectomorph and having these issues makes it clear that you fit the "vata" dosha type. Read more here and here. It is certainly possible to have conflicting imbalances such as too much heat, yet stagnating dampness, for example. The kidney yang is responsible for warming the body, whereas the yin grounds the body and mind.

Basically you need to focus on a grounding and nourishing lifestyle and diet. Diet wise this means focus on heavier, sweet, fatter, saltier, and warmer property foods. This will warm and stabilize the mind and body, countering the dry/mobile constitution of your body. Your body type can handle larger amounts of heavier meats, but still try to maintain eating portions of only 4-5oz at a time to avoid stagnating the stomach. As a contrasting example, endomorph/kapha body types would focus on lighter/dryer foods to avoid being too bogged down and stagnated (both physically and mentally).

One example of a great meal that would help you (that I just done eating) is beans and rice. The rice nourishes the body in a general sense, and the beans will aid the kidneys directly. Soak the beans then throw them in a pressure cooker with other stuff like onion. Later, heat up rice with oil then throw the beans on top. Make big batches of food at a time to save on time. This meal is very nourishing relative to the time invested.

Don't neglect entire groups of foods, such as veggies, but rather focus on the right kinds. For example, with green veggies, focus on cooked string beans and peas as opposed to kale (especially raw/cold kale!). In this sense you still get the benefits of that food type, but you are getting the more nourishing version.

Also, eat regularly (~about every 4 hours) and try to be in bed before 11pm at the latest. A lot of these lifestyle tips will be told to you by the TCM doctor, but it is best that you start thinking about them now. Anyway, good luck.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back