Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Why is my nasal columella sticky?

Seby

I know it's important for one of our meditations, so what does on the spiritual level mean to have that part of the nose sticky?
I also have a greasy face. I once tried a cream that was very good but I don't remember what it was.
I need remedies for both of these problems.

TopoftheAbyss said:
I know it's important for one of our meditations, so what does on the spiritual level mean to have that part of the nose sticky?
I also have a greasy face. I once tried a cream that was very good but I don't remember what it was.

It is excess phlegm or dampness. This can be from a excess of dietary items that would promote for this (sugar, wheat, milk, excess fruits, etc) or from a deficiency of the organs that would clear this (mainly the spleen). As far as the face goes, the oil can also be stimulated to excess by continual washing. You should use an extremely gentle soap or just a wash cloth and nothing else, because every time you harshly strip the natural oils, the body will compensate with more.

Are you referring to the outside or inside of your nose that is sticky? Do you also have congestion inside, or is it just the skin outside that is greasy?

Blitzkreig said:
TopoftheAbyss said:

It is excess phlegm or dampness. This can be from a excess of dietary items that would promote for this (sugar, wheat, milk, excess fruits, etc) or from a deficiency of the organs that would clear this (mainly the spleen). As far as the face goes, the oil can also be stimulated to excess by continual washing. You should use an extremely gentle soap or just a wash cloth and nothing else, because every time you harshly strip the natural oils, the body will compensate with more.

Are you referring to the outside or inside of your nose that is sticky? Do you also have congestion inside, or is it just the skin outside that is greasy?
Thanks for answering. I'm talking about the outer side of my nose, and as far as I know I have no congestion inside but I'm not sure what this means so I may be wrong.

TopoftheAbyss said:
Thanks for answering. I'm talking about the outer side of my nose, and as far as I know I have no congestion inside but I'm not sure what this means so I may be wrong.

I am just referring to a normal stuffy nose. If you have sinus congestion, mucus in the back of your throat, perhaps even watery stools, this would show the excess dampness is all over the body. However, if the excess oil is present just on your face, it is probably more due to the products that you use. It could also be a combination of both.

What was your skin like before you used anything on it, or was this not the case? Do you need soaps for acne or anything, or just the oil? If this is the case, I would try to reduce the soap use entirely. Perhaps start by washing with soap only 1x per day instead of 2x, or every other day or something. You should be able to just wipe with a damp washcloth and that should be sufficient.

Over the course of a week or two, the oil should reduce on its own by this method alone. If it still remains a problem, then I would start looking at diet and other lifestyle factors. If you are of the Kapha body type, then you could have extra oil all over your body, for example. If this is NOT the case, however, it would point more towards the soap being the problem.

Blitzkreig said:
TopoftheAbyss said:

I am just referring to a normal stuffy nose. If you have sinus congestion, mucus in the back of your throat, perhaps even watery stools, this would show the excess dampness is all over the body. However, if the excess oil is present just on your face, it is probably more due to the products that you use. It could also be a combination of both.

What was your skin like before you used anything on it, or was this not the case? Do you need soaps for acne or anything, or just the oil? If this is the case, I would try to reduce the soap use entirely. Perhaps start by washing with soap only 1x per day instead of 2x, or every other day or something. You should be able to just wipe with a damp washcloth and that should be sufficient.

Over the course of a week or two, the oil should reduce on its own by this method alone. If it still remains a problem, then I would start looking at diet and other lifestyle factors. If you are of the Kapha body type, then you could have extra oil all over your body, for example. If this is NOT the case, however, it would point more towards the soap being the problem.
I almost never use soap.

Since Blitzkreig says its excess of phlegm or dampness, you could maybe try acupressure.
Go search on the point LI-11 on the internet. Apparently it cools heat and alleviates dampness according to what's written in startingpointacupuncture.com . I have been messaging this point with electric massager.
Find the location and press on it with your fingers.

As for pressing only on a single acupuncture is harmful or not, that I do not know.So I will quote one of the people whom I respect and am thankful for.

Is it good to press only one pair of acupressure points or when do you always need to have a comprehensive acupressure session compromising of many of such points ?

Username said:
Since Blitzkreig says its excess of phlegm or dampness, you could maybe try acupressure.
Go search on the point LI-11 on the internet. Apparently it cools heat and alleviates dampness according to what's written in startingpointacupuncture.com . I have been messaging this point with electric massager.

As for pressing only on a single acupuncture is harmful or not, that I do not know.So I will quote one of the people whom I respect and am thankful for.

Is it good to press only one pair of acupressure points or when do you always need to have a comprehensive acupressure session compromising of many of such points ?

Massaging one point isn't harmful it just isn't nearly as effective. Nor will just massaging that point solve the issue. There are many other points that need to be taken in consideration based on what you're trying to heal. The qi may become stronger in some areas but other points may need to be opened for a stronger flow.

TopoftheAbyss said:
I almost never use soap.

Oh! I misread the first message where you said you were using cream and thought you were still using it. If you aren't applying anything to it and are still getting oily skin, then this is due to a bodily imbalance, with the most likely cause being something dietary.

The oil coming in excess through the skin is your bodies way of getting rid of it. Do you have acne or any of the other symptoms I listed beforehand? Anyway, reduce anything with added sugar, any fruits (especially being winter), milk, white carbs/breads. Go easy on fats, and safe carb sources would be rice, carrot, squash. Small amounts of potato and whole bread are ok, but not needed and will be excess damp-producing.

Try to include more pungent and "moving" items such as white and green veggies, such as cruciferous veggies, garlic, onion, scallions. Spicy and pungent foods will promote for the removal of dampness, whereas green foods fight against internal stagnation. Cardio exercise or sauna use, or other yang style yoga will help fight the dampness as well. If you are having excess dampness, however, usually the "cause" is from the diet, unless you are located in a damp area for a long time.

Promote spleen health with orange and yellow foods, as the spleen is the organ that removes dampness in the body and prevents it in the first place as well. Sweet potato and carrots are great examples of spleen foods. Things that damage the spleen include eating cold or raw foods, eating giant meals, sleeping after eating a large meal, eating at night, or eating excess sweet (processed) food items. A healthy spleen will remove the majority, if not all, of the dampness before it builds up in the body.

Lastly, if your body type falls under the kapha type, then definitely read more about balancing that body composition and what sort of foods and activities you should partake in.

Username said:

Doing a few, well-selected points can work just as well as many points. If you do multiple points, and therefore spend more time on the same imbalance, then this will yield a better result, obviously. If you are asking about informal practice vs professional practice where they would stimulate multiple points: it is said that the body draws upon "nutritive qi" for healing, so pressing more points simultaneously would probably yield a faster healing overall, up to a point. Maybe this would use up more nutritive qi, however.

If you are referring to just when you are doing at-home practice, then you should base this on what sort of problem you are having. If you can successfully identify your imbalance, then you should read about/or know a few key points to stimulate. If you are only stimulating one point at a time, then you don't necessarily have to switch points just for the sake of it. I would only switch if certain symptoms are not treated by the first point and you need to jump to another.

Doing acupuncture on yourself also limits the available pool of points that are both accessible and easy to find. Usually there are a few for each organ system. In general, I would pick your weakest/most imbalanced organ system and focus on that, then afterwards hit any symptoms that are bothering you. If you have the time and you selected the appropriate point(s), then you can spend as much time as you want on a smaller group of points, as opposed to a larger selection.

-----------------------------

Another thing is to consider your time efficiency. If you think you need to spend 20 minutes hitting multiple different organ systems or multiple different imbalances, then a better use of your time would be something more comprehensive like yoga. The hatha yoga is good for yin and breaking up stagnation, whereas yang-style yoga, like Kundalini yoga or the Tibetan 5 Rites, is good for generating lots of yang energy.

Pairing these types of yoga should aid your body in all aspects or organ systems, especially if you add in cardio exercise. Knowledge of TCM should extend beyond just acupressure and into the other lifestyle theories such as proper digestion habits and sleep (fall asleep before 11pm) such that you can identify anything that may imbalance despite your yoga and regular empowerment routines. Eventually one should have enough energy that you can "tank" minor things, but any bad lifestyle habit carried out to a sufficient magnitude could still imbalance you and produce symptoms.

If you find yourself having to press multiple points often, it is not that this won't help, but a better use of your time would be spent pondering the lifestyle habits that gave you your current imbalances. If you need rapid relief, then you should seek professional treatment for acupuncture and herbs, plus a quick and accurate diagnosis.

ModernMage said:
Username said:

Massaging one point isn't harmful it just isn't nearly as effective. Nor will just massaging that point solve the issue. There are many other points that need to be taken in consideration based on what you're trying to heal. The qi may become stronger in some areas but other points may need to be opened for a stronger flow.
I got the electric massager after much difficulty. Thank you for recommending me it.
I would also suggest you to reseach on LI - 11. This is the point which has helped me a lot I think.
I press on both sides of the part where upper arm and lower arm are connected.
Yeah I felt as much about a acupuncture session rather than a point massage.

Thank you for your knowledge. I originaly felt that more points is better than single individual points. However, since it concerned the OP, had to ask.
So yoga+acupuncture(optional)+good unprocessed food = good lifestyle. Understood, thank you.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back