Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Breathing Exercises that help with Cardio?

SleepingWolf

Finally decided to go jogging again, and wow did it make me realize my lungs and breathing hurt.

I know there isn't much else to help that beyond repeating jogging for as long as I can and just get used to it, but any breathing exercises or anything other trick that's possible to help my lungs make the change faster? Doubt there is, but thought I'd ask anyone with experience possibly here on magick that helps when getting back into shape.

Well, just in general, opening up the lungs with diaphragmatic breathing before running is good. You can do a number of stretches like raising the arms high in the air and breathing deeply then with the hands still raised bend the body to the right and continue to breath deeply then to the left and repeat. Place the hands on the lower back and breath in trying to do it in such a way that you’re pushing your hands away from your body by expanding the ribcage. This will open up the lungs really well. When you go running afterwards it’ll make a difference, but the main thing with running is consistency, recovery and nutrition. If you give your body what it needs, train regularly and push yourself safely and give the body time to recover, it'll adapt and all of it will be easier. There’s no short cut for hard work. If you haven’t run in a while, it’s going to suck. No way around it. Just keep doing it and it’ll be easier.

Eric13 said:
Well, just in general, opening up the lungs with diaphragmatic breathing before running is good. You can do a number of stretches like raising the arms high in the air and breathing deeply then with the hands still raised bend the body to the right and continue to breath deeply then to the left and repeat. Place the hands on the lower back and breath in trying to do it in such a way that you’re pushing your hands away from your body by expanding the ribcage. This will open up the lungs really well. When you go running afterwards it’ll make a difference, but the main thing with running is consistency, recovery and nutrition. If you give your body what it needs, train regularly and push yourself safely and give the body time to recover, it'll adapt and all of it will be easier. There’s no short cut for hard work. If you haven’t run in a while, it’s going to suck. No way around it. Just keep doing it and it’ll be easier.

Oh I know very much the pains of exercise and nutrition, I've mostly done strength training for years, because an old Satanist friend recommended me to use a book called Convict Conditioning, when I first dedicated, that's helped me a ton, I learned plenty about recovery and nutrition, as well, but thank you for the advice!

I've just been severally undermining cardio, I've been basically doing these past rituals non stop as much as I can, and not moving as much as I should, and I could start to feel it affecting me, the body does not do well if you don't move enough, so jogging is my solution.

I know as well as anyone exercise pain is just weakness leaving the body. Thanks again!

SleepingWolf said:
I know there isn't much else to help that beyond repeating jogging for as long as I can
So, I had a similar thing to deal with a few months ago just getting into running/jogging again. I don't know if this was just a way of wording it, but I should say that it's not necessarily a good thing to try jogging as long as you can. When I tried doing it that way, it burned me out and I just felt like shit, never wanting to do it again. The way that worked best for me was to do it to a point where I feel challenged but not completely exhausted or about to collapse, and then to just do that every day and increasing the duration every so often as it gets easier.

Shael said:
SleepingWolf said:
I know there isn't much else to help that beyond repeating jogging for as long as I can
So, I had a similar thing to deal with a few months ago just getting into running/jogging again. I don't know if this was just a way of wording it, but I should say that it's not necessarily a good thing to try jogging as long as you can. When I tried doing it that way, it burned me out and I just felt like shit, never wanting to do it again. The way that worked best for me was to do it to a point where I feel challenged but not completely exhausted or about to collapse, and then to just do that every day and increasing the duration every so often as it gets easier.

Oh I can see how that was interpreted now, yeah. I meant I was gonna do what you suggested, in that I wanna run a lap around my block until that gets easy, then add another lap. That was my plan. I wanna just see how many laps I can do, and hopefully be at marching strength like a soldier. Just for general healthy, but also, cuz idk, I just get this feeling that it's best if I prepare to be able to run for that long now while I can.

Goal is being able to do at least half a marathon I'd hope, I've been neglecting my body too much, in my spiritual endeavors. A Satanist friend I lost contact with since I stopped using skype, said having lots of muscle helped with electrokinisis, so doing strength training has been my main goal over the years, but clearly I need cardio as well.

Thing is at the moment, even just a short jog of like less than half a mile gets me really exhausted, it's *that* bad, hence why I came here for tips and tricks.

SleepingWolf said:
Finally decided to go jogging again, and wow did it make me realize my lungs and breathing hurt.

I know there isn't much else to help that beyond repeating jogging for as long as I can and just get used to it, but any breathing exercises or anything other trick that's possible to help my lungs make the change faster? Doubt there is, but thought I'd ask anyone with experience possibly here on magick that helps when getting back into shape.
How To Breathe Properly While Running: https://youtu.be/sRd_0wQYcWY

How to increase your lung functionality: https://specwarfitness.com/podcasts/2017/6/25/27-how-to-increase-your-lung-functionality

Breathing For Warriors by Dr. Belisa Vranich: https://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Warriors-Endurance-Precision-Unshakable/dp/1250308224

Academic Scholar said:
SleepingWolf said:

How To Breathe Properly While Running: https://youtu.be/sRd_0wQYcWY

How to increase your lung functionality: https://specwarfitness.com/podcasts/2017/6/25/27-how-to-increase-your-lung-functionality

Breathing For Warriors by Dr. Belisa Vranich: https://www.amazon.com/Breathing-Warriors-Endurance-Precision-Unshakable/dp/1250308224

One sentence summary: breath using your abdomen/diaphragm, not your upper chest.

I learned that thirty years ago, and there aren’t any new revelations. Essentially this book is 100 pages of yapping. Everything worthwhile can be said in less than ten pages.

The author cites a lot of studies. But most of the citations are to studies that are hardly conclusive. Generally, the sample size is quite small, n < 20. So, take the author’s assertions with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Also, I am a cyclist and found nothing useful with regard to breathing while cycling. Cycling is discussed on only three pages and essentially she says ‘I’ve got nothing useful to say.’

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back