Exercise, what is ideal?

For Discussion about Health, Well-being, Traditional Remedies, and much more.

Moderator: HPS Shannon

serpentwalker666

Exercise, what is ideal?

Postby serpentwalker666 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:07 pm

Hello. ive been reading all over the internet on the topic of exercise.. And i am curious on what is ideal. For good cardiovascular health, good health, and longevity in general. As i have been not very good at strenous exercise lately. i go for walks through the woods, and to stores near me. but running, and anything strenous i find difficult.

Aquarius

Re: Exercise, what is ideal?

Postby Aquarius » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:41 am

I love bycicling. and yoga, I think the best type of hatha yoga around right now is iyengar yoga as the teachers arent casual idiots who did just 200 hours and poof they're hot yoga teachers lol, teachers gotta have done this yoga for at least 3 years and then they do other 3 years of training to be a teacher, this yoga teaches the perfect allignment and how to do asanas with the perfect posture.

GP9

Postby GP9 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:41 pm

serpentwalker666 wrote:Hello. ive been reading all over the internet on the topic of exercise.. And i am curious on what is ideal. For good cardiovascular health, good health, and longevity in general. As i have been not very good at strenous exercise lately. i go for walks through the woods, and to stores near me. but running, and anything strenous i find difficult.

I don't believe it's known what the perfect amount of exercise is.. or what it would be, obviously it is relative to the individual though. If you can't run it's because you don't run. Just do it more often, same with anything else. It's probably safe to say that cardiovascular health is improved by cardio exercise, along with diet.

Lydia

Postby Lydia » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

The best form of cardio, and by best I mean easiest and safest on the body for all ages, as well as being the best to fit into the average person's schedule, is to get a stationary bike and put it in your living room in front of the tv.

Most people watch a lot of tv and say they don't have time to exercise. So this combines both, while it might not be "ideal", it is the most effective way to stay on track with an exercise program. Many people start running, but because they were sedentary for years, they hurt their knees or ankles the first time running, and need days to recover. And most people don't want to give up their tv, or go outside, or whatever other excuses they have.

So just watch tv while cycling, losing excess weight and improving your cardiovascular system, in the comfort of your own home. You can get a cheap stationary bike for $50 at walmart even, or look for a used one for sale in your town.

For anyone who can't afford one, do a working to get one. I'm serious, I've done it before for other items and other people gave me things they bought themselves but didn't want anymore. Don't ever complain about not being able to afford anything, where there's a will there's a way ;)
Obliterate Saturn
https://www.ancient-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=92

2018 Calendar for Spiritual Satanists!
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624

"KNOWLEDGE IS THE FOUNDATION OF SATANISM!"
www.joyofsatan.org

Centralforce666

Postby Centralforce666 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:35 pm

"Ideal" exercise is that which is enough to keep you engaged (interested) and relative to the strength of your body and height of your energy.

Personally I cycle outdoors alot, 3-5 times per week sometimes riding up to 80-100 km in one sitting (although my average ride is 50 km).

I am an extremely high energy person however who has an abundance of mental and physical energy most of the time.

This kind of strenuous exercise, riding up steep hills that take 30 minutes or more to climb gets the sweat coming out and this relieves my natural propensity to qi stagnation.

For someone who is older, less strung out and perhaps more phlegmatic, quieter exercise is just as suitable.

For those with injuries, you have to work around these, finding exercise regimes which do not add to the injury but encourage improved blood circulation.

Overtraining is the practice of taking on too much physical activity under too high of a load at the expense of body systems.

Find something that keeps you engaged and as long as you are enjoying it, not hurting yourself and it makes you feel better, then it is appropriate.

If you are getting exhausted from it, or it is not enjoyable then it is probably not "ideal" exercise.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

If you want a peaceful life, prepare for war

serpentwalker666

Postby serpentwalker666 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:20 pm

I appreciate all the answers! :) i dont want to post another topic, and i have one last question... so ill add it here. i deal with rapid heartbeats everyonce in awhile. Ive had EKGS everything been to hospital, im always told im great, no irregularities.. Anxiety blah blah blah. im aware it can be related to blood deficiency. But i was curious. My heart seems to flop around alot usually after i eat. I dont eat large meals. But i get an uncomfortable sensation in the lower esophagus almost stomach area. And like i want to physically push the stomach and contents downwards by force. which i obviously do not, as i dont think thats a good idea. But its as if my stomach keeps me awake at night burning. Im thinking it could be related to stomach yin deficiency. But im not very knowledgable on chinese medicine. But i do research into it. Eating pear, banana, sweet potatoe with olive oil. And trying to overall eat moistening foods seems to make a difference.

Centralforce666

Postby Centralforce666 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:48 pm

Do you frequently eat late at night?

Or have you done for a period of time before now?

Excessive consumption of hot, spicy and fried foods, eating late at night, irregular eating patterns can all lead to stomach yin deficiency.

Heat rising up from the stomach can also bother the heart.

A brilliant and safe herb to nourish stomach yin is Mai Men Dong or ophiopogon japonicus - this herb moistens and cools the stomach to reduce reflux that is caused by stomach yin deficiency.

T.A.O.L.

Postby T.A.O.L. » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:02 pm

@ centralforce

Some people have mentioned to me that those top athletes and people that are training for marathons would be overdoing the sport on their bodies, causing injuries, like inflammation of the (idk what they're called in english) inside the knee which can lead to surgery if not taken care of and rested properly.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that you like to cycle and it is not always the most strenous of exercise, but I am concerned you might be overdoing it though if you go for 80-100 km rides. Wouldn't that take up an entire day though??

Also, in your lessons on chinese herbology, has there been any mention of using herbs in cooking? Here in europe there are recipes with herbs in them that actually disperse fluid and the like through the kidneys. They're non toxic for so far I know.
One of them is Parsley. Honestly, I am not sure if Lavas (Levisticum officinale) has some effect like that, but I have heard from people that that plant is used in the bouillon a lot which gives it its typical taste. If you buy it from the supermarket.
Story was that some company started adding or using it in their products to increase the amount of minerals or something in their products that were lacking in a lot of other foods at the time.

Honestly I am not sure what else to say to you on this though.
"Good nutrition is the key to wisdom"
~ Lydia is awesome :D ~
"Dont put on your skin what you can't eat"

Centralforce666

Postby Centralforce666 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:57 pm

Cycling is fortunately fairly easy on the body and provides a manner in which you can tone down your effort mid ride if required. It takes me 4 hours to ride 100 km over hilly terrain.. But yes it takes up the whole day in the sense that it can leave you worn out after for just as long.

But I listen to my body and rest when appropriate, taking the time off I need to recover. I am a person of extremely high energy and hence having an exercise program like mine helps to alleviate some of the issues that come with that ie being highly strung, digestive upsets etc.

As far as using herbs in cooking.. As TCM is highly individual and meals are often cooked for more than one person, there are few herbs mentioned in this way. Notable exceptions are white fungus and pear soup to combat autumn lung dryness, ginger as an overall antiseptic to minimise food poisoning risk from any dish and the making of steamed bread from the formula Bao He Wan which is a spicy formula designed to move old food out of the intestines.

T.A.O.L.

Postby T.A.O.L. » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks for the reply, I am glad to hear that you are being careful. Still you cycle faster than I do. But there are no hills here either.

Ginger has been used more and more lately in recipes. But, for me, I am not fond of the taste in the first place, and later, after I was finished with the test need help thingy. Well finished with trying for a month, at least.. I think that that may be causing me some problems too.
I'm wondering if this herb should be taken into consideration to ones local weather..

I've never heard of white fungus and pear soup before. It sounds like it'd taste sweet and something I'd like to try some time.

hm.. but other than this herbs aren't used in the kitchen much in tcm?
"Good nutrition is the key to wisdom"
~ Lydia is awesome :D ~
"Dont put on your skin what you can't eat"