Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Eric13

Bible_Burner

Thank you for the advice you've laid out on bodybuilding/strength training. I'm looking into Jeff Nippard's programs and I've looked into programs like Strong Lifts 5x5 but am not sure if it is adequate for maximum gains. Any other good programs for novice lifters?

In regards to diet, you mentioned 40g of protein over four meals is ideal. I'm 5'6 and in the 140lbs 15-20% bodyfat range with the goal of building muscle while losing some extra fat I gained during the lockdownz.

What would those meals look like? I'm having trouble structuring my meals. What about the other macros? Should I look to hit specific numbers around those?

Once again, I appreciate your help within the forums.

Anything with low reps like 5x5 will get you strong, but it won’t contribute much to hypertrophy (size). It will, but it’ll take longer. For that you’ll want weights closer to 8-12 rep range. And 3 sets per exercise there is good. If you’re lifting heavy, pay mind to recovery. Never do anything if you’re not feeling it. Don’t push yourself. Be smart with intensity. Try and stimulate each muscle group around 10-15~ times a week if you’re a newbie. You don’t want to overtrain and get hurt. Recovery is so important. But cover ALL muscle groups within the week.

Also, numerous studies show that muscle protein synthesis stimulation, when going to failure on an exercise, isn’t statistically higher than leaving one or two reps in the tank. However going to failure puts more stress on the joints and nervous system with no real benefit. So my advice to new trainees is never go to failure on an exercise.

With diet, I gave the 40g per meal as general advice because anymore than 40 won’t increase mps rates. However if a person needs more than that to hit their daily target, then they should consume more than that. The majority of the protein you eat won’t even go to building new muscle. It goes to rebuilding muscle you already have as well as maintaining other organs in the body, especially high use organs in the digestive system.

At your weight, you’d be good with 140g per day. Optimally that’d be 40g per meal 3x a day and then a meal with 20g. Keeping in mind a meal could be a protein shake right after a workout with 40g of protein. Consumed within 1 or 2 hours after workout when mps rates are increased. Isn’t necessary though.

As for what your meal plan would look like? Well there’s infinite options, but the key really is to eat what you like. Following any one else’s specific plan is hard to do longterm. High quality organic protein powders go a long way with helping you hit your daily target. Some people put it in their oatmeal for breakfast, some just make a quick smoothie with yogurt, milk, powder and fruits. I do that most mornings actually. I just add fiber powder as well to slow the blood sugar spike of blended fruits and it’s really satiating.

With lunch and dinner, the easiest way is to eat meat or dairy. Keep it lean meat, organic if possible. Add some carbs and veggies that you like. And you’ll be fine. Plenty of fruit you enjoy and plenty of water. I would also suggest fruits and veggies with high electrolytes, especially potassium. Most people never get their daily potassium requirements, but it’s so important for people training. Bananas, mangos, kiwi, spinach, etc.

To put on muscle, you need to eat, but you can lose fat as well, just don’t have too much of a calorie deficit. You don’t want your body to burn muscle. Maybe 300-500 calorie deficit per day. And I’d cycle every 2 weeks. 2 weeks at a deficit. 2 weeks maintenance. This way is less harsh on the body. Lifting will burn calories and increase your metabolic rate over time.

Eric13 said:
Anything with low reps like 5x5 will get you strong, but it won’t contribute much to hypertrophy (size). It will, but it’ll take longer. For that you’ll want weights closer to 8-12 rep range. And 3 sets per exercise there is good. If you’re lifting heavy, pay mind to recovery. Never do anything if you’re not feeling it. Don’t push yourself. Be smart with intensity. Try and stimulate each muscle group around 10-15~ times a week if you’re a newbie. You don’t want to overtrain and get hurt. Recovery is so important. But cover ALL muscle groups within the week.

Also, numerous studies show that muscle protein synthesis stimulation, when going to failure on an exercise, isn’t statistically higher than leaving one or two reps in the tank. However going to failure puts more stress on the joints and nervous system with no real benefit. So my advice to new trainees is never go to failure on an exercise.

With diet, I gave the 40g per meal as general advice because anymore than 40 won’t increase mps rates. However if a person needs more than that to hit their daily target, then they should consume more than that. The majority of the protein you eat won’t even go to building new muscle. It goes to rebuilding muscle you already have as well as maintaining other organs in the body, especially high use organs in the digestive system.

At your weight, you’d be good with 140g per day. Optimally that’d be 40g per meal 3x a day and then a meal with 20g. Keeping in mind a meal could be a protein shake right after a workout with 40g of protein. Consumed within 1 or 2 hours after workout when mps rates are increased. Isn’t necessary though.

As for what your meal plan would look like? Well there’s infinite options, but the key really is to eat what you like. Following any one else’s specific plan is hard to do longterm. High quality organic protein powders go a long way with helping you hit your daily target. Some people put it in their oatmeal for breakfast, some just make a quick smoothie with yogurt, milk, powder and fruits. I do that most mornings actually. I just add fiber powder as well to slow the blood sugar spike of blended fruits and it’s really satiating.

With lunch and dinner, the easiest way is to eat meat or dairy. Keep it lean meat, organic if possible. Add some carbs and veggies that you like. And you’ll be fine. Plenty of fruit you enjoy and plenty of water. I would also suggest fruits and veggies with high electrolytes, especially potassium. Most people never get their daily potassium requirements, but it’s so important for people training. Bananas, mangos, kiwi, spinach, etc.

To put on muscle, you need to eat, but you can lose fat as well, just don’t have too much of a calorie deficit. You don’t want your body to burn muscle. Maybe 300-500 calorie deficit per day. And I’d cycle every 2 weeks. 2 weeks at a deficit. 2 weeks maintenance. This way is less harsh on the body. Lifting will burn calories and increase your metabolic rate over time.

Thanks for the reply. I think tweaking the rep range will help with improvements. I'm going to focus on Squats, Deadlifts, Bench Press, Incline Dumbell Press, Overhead Press, And Pull Ups, with some isolation exercises as needed.

I do better with high carbs later in the day. So I decided My meal plan will look something like

Breakfast: Eggs and High Quality Brekfast meat ~ Maybe a little fruit
Lunch: Salad with Chicken ~ Maybe a little fruit
Dinner: Asparagus, Sweet Potato, Fish
~Workout
Prebed snax: Whey + Milk/Greek Yogurt

If I'm in a surplus phase I can add oats to breakfast or rice for lunch.

I have a desk job, so I'm going to need to experiment with cardio that won't set back my performance. Thank goodness they realized that mandating masks at my gym wasn't going to work lol.

Bible_Burner said:
Good starter plan and diet. Add some rows as well. You need to hit the rear dealts and traps. Dips are great too, especially when you can add weight.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back