Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Sleeping hours

Thousahll

Greetings brothers and sisters!

I am wondering if there is anyone here who has a scientific knowledge about the minimum standard hours of sleeping? Is 7 hours really a standard time? Is it okay to have broken hours of sleep like 3 hrs right now then 4 hours later? I am not trolling btw. I seriously need to know because I don't want to waste any of my time. In terms of spirituality, my momentum is already there. I don't know if you believe me or not but I am improving everyday by a big margin. Lately I am doing everything. I do 3 rtrs and it takes me almost 1 and a half hour to finish (I write the characters by pen since printing is not an option for me right now and it works best for me because I need to feel it). My maximum time of sleep is 5 hrs sometimes 4. Sometimes I feel my body so tired and exhausted but I continue doing what I must do for our cause, for humanity.

Also I do pilates flexibility exercise for a while now. Do you guys mind to comment about this routine if it is okay to continue or change the approach?

72017144b5edbefab994304080849063.jpg

Sorry for the long post. Thank you everyone!

You do not have to draw the RTR letters with a pen. That is a waste of time, and it is not needed. Just look at the RTR paper on your computer screen, and imagine the letters going away.

Breaking sleeping up interferes with REM cycles. You’re body requires certain conditions to regenerate and recharge itself. The needs of an individual person vary between roughly 6-8 hours of sleep needed everyday. The hours need to be continuous. Not getting enough sleep or breaking it up will negatively effect physical health if done long enough. This will carry over into spiritual health as well.

So make sure to get adequate uninterrupted sleep every night. And be patient with progress spiritually. It’s great to be making progress, but sacrificing sleep to devote time to other areas won’t work. Like in physical exercise, you can over train and then there is injuries. Same with spirituality. You can over do it and have problems.

Ol argedco luciftias said:
You do not have to draw the RTR letters with a pen. That is a waste of time, and it is not needed. Just look at the RTR paper on your computer screen, and imagine the letters going away.

I need to draw it brother because my visualization is not that good yet and sometimes I get distracted. I am writing it to make sure that it is 100% working.

Eric13 said:
Breaking sleeping up interferes with REM cycles. You’re body requires certain conditions to regenerate and recharge itself. The needs of an individual person vary between roughly 6-8 hours of sleep needed everyday. The hours need to be continuous. Not getting enough sleep or breaking it up will negatively effect physical health if done long enough. This will carry over into spiritual health as well.

So make sure to get adequate uninterrupted sleep every night. And be patient with progress spiritually. It’s great to be making progress, but sacrificing sleep to devote time to other areas won’t work. Like in physical exercise, you can over train and then there is injuries. Same with spirituality. You can over do it and have problems.

Noted. Thank you brother.

Thousahll said:

I need to draw it brother because my visualization is not that good yet and sometimes I get distracted. I am writing it to make sure that it is 100% working.
But you really don't need to draw it though. If you are drawing it, then aren't you really creating it more? This has been discussed and answered before with someone else who was drawing the letters like you are doing. The answer is it's mostly just a waste of time because it is very hard to draw them all in exactly the right way, so you spend all that time trying to make them and then they aren't perfect anyway. There is a website with a picture of all the letters, and it covers them up when you go over them with the pointer. I think you should find that website.

But you really don't need to draw it though. If you are drawing it, then aren't you really creating it more? This has been discussed and answered before with someone else who was drawing the letters like you are doing. The answer is it's mostly just a waste of time because it is very hard to draw them all in exactly the right way, so you spend all that time trying to make them and then they aren't perfect anyway. There is a website with a picture of all the letters, and it covers them up when you go over them with the pointer. I think you should find that website.

I found the paint version. You saved me a lot of time. Thank you so much brother!

keep away from ((( polyphasic ))) sleep. a straight sleep between 2100 hrs and 0600 is best (8 hour period). The earlier before midnight the better. There is no way around this I have found this out the hard way

loki88 said:
keep away from ((( polyphasic ))) sleep. a straight sleep between 2100 hrs and 0600 is best (8 hour period). The earlier before midnight the better. There is no way around this I have found this out the hard way

Thank you brother. For the past few weeks I sacrifice sleep for meditation. When I got tired, I fight it with willpower and it works but reality hits me hard. The stress in my body is slowly accumulating ( Thankfully my guardian is guiding me in a way that I understand his/her message in any form even though we do not have a contact yet.)

I also thank you Sir HP Hooded Cobra for posting the topic about patience. I realized that everything should be in a perfect balance. Impatience leads us to nowhere. Even if we improve in a faster rate compared to others, our very foundation will not be good enough in the end if we keep blindly going forward without a stable footsteps. I learned that sometimes in some scenario we should stop when we are at our limits. It will harm us.

Right now I'm going to balance my life. Meditation comes with knowledge too. It is not just all about meditation. Sometimes we need to understand things by means of reading like the JOS site or in any form that gives us knowledge . Knowledge is also a form of power.

Thousahll said:
loki88 said:

Thank you brother. For the past few weeks I sacrifice sleep for meditation. When I got tired, I fight it with willpower and it works but reality hits me hard. The stress in my body is slowly accumulating ( Thankfully my guardian is guiding me in a way that I understand his/her message in any form even though we do not have a contact yet.)

I also thank you Sir HP Hooded Cobra for posting the topic about patience. I realized that everything should be in a perfect balance. Impatience leads us to nowhere. Even if we improve in a faster rate compared to others, our very foundation will not be good enough in the end if we keep blindly going forward without a stable footsteps. I learned that sometimes in some scenario we should stop when we are at our limits. It will harm us.

Right now I'm going to balance my life. Meditation comes with knowledge too. It is not just all about meditation. Sometimes we need to understand things by means of reading like the JOS site or in any form that gives us knowledge . Knowledge is also a form of power.

Also maybe cut out all stimulants after 1300 hours and don't eat within 3 hours minimum of sleep. Make sure you have total darkness in your room and shut off all electronics, sleeping with your head to the North. Maybe try a magnetic mattress pad(eg. magnetico brand, or make your own).

Likewise, drinking within 90 minutes before going to sleep will decrease your sleep quality and, in some cases, cause you to wake up and go to the bathroom.

For the exercise routine you showed... all those exercises come from hatha yoga and are better done in hatha yoga style, which means:

• do not force, but gradually achieve them as yoga is gentle;
• do not focus on time spent in a position but on the amount of breaths performed;
• perform it with the basic yogic breath which is the root of hatha yoga (unlike the bhastrika/breath of fire which is the root of kundalini yoga).

I think your supposed to drink a lot of water before you sleep. So you aren't so dehydrated when you wake up. Because it's easy for that to get really bad.

If you must split your sleep, always ensure you are asleep before 1030 pm and don't wake until after 5 am as an absolute minimum.

That doesn't mean the above recommendation is strictly good for you, but it does minimise harm.

Then, if you sleep during the day, again try to rest at around 1130 am through to at least 2 pm.

I think your supposed to drink a lot of water before you sleep. So you aren't so dehydrated when you wake up. Because it's easy for that to get really bad.
This depends on the person. Personally if I drink too much before bed I wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee.

A good solution instead may be to ensure you drink adequately throughout the day (if you feel very thirsty as your bedtime draws close, this might be a sign you havent been drinking enough throughout the day), and to drink a good amount of liquid very soon after waking up.

I think you're supposed to drink a lot of water before you sleep. So you aren't so dehydrated when you wake up. Because it's easy for that to get really bad.

If you oversleep or are a predominantly Vata, I think that's the reason for waking up dehydrated. Oversleeping is everything starting at 9 hours, just like undersleeping is anything like 5 hours and less. It may be also due to a windy or dry environment. Undersleeping and oversleeping is as damaging to the brain and psyche as overtraining and undertraining is to the body and emotions.

When I sleep a normal amount of hours in a non-windy and non-dry environment, I never wake up dehydrated. Once should also drink the right amount of water during the day which is not 2 L for everyone but is a minimum of that and the rest depends on your physical mass. Water intake also affects flexibility to a great degree, as the joints need to be lubrificated, just like food does. One flexibility trainer I know and is reliable suggests: 30 ml or 1 fluid oz x pound of body weight (e.g. 30 ml x 150 lbs = 4.4 litres or 150 fluid oz)

Some extra ways to help ensure a restful sleep are:

• A no cell phone use rule after a certain time
• A clean room (everything in its place nothing to worry about)
• Clothes pre chosen the night before (no stress, easy get up)
• Swimming (optional - nothing tires you out more than swimming)
• aromatherapy (as in burning relaxing incense in the room prior to slee)

Stormblood said:
I think you're supposed to drink a lot of water before you sleep. So you aren't so dehydrated when you wake up. Because it's easy for that to get really bad.

If you oversleep or are a predominantly Vata, I think that's the reason for waking up dehydrated.
Very interesting. I looked up about how doshas affect people to refresh my memory, and looks like I'm about 65% Vata and 35% Kapha. My body type is all Vata, and my mindset is mostly Vata but also with very much Kapha. Doesn't look like I got much of any Pitta at all, but my body stays very warm when exposed to any cold temperature, so maybe that is an example of Pitta.

I don't oversleep too often, but I do sometimes. And I am able to badly undersleep and still be functional, if I have to.

I try to drink a lot of water and I never go anywhere without bringing a lot of water with me. My body needs much more water than most other people do, even though I am very thin. So that sounds like another Vata example.

Stormblood said:

If you oversleep or are a predominantly Vata, I think that's the reason for waking up dehydrated.
Very interesting. I looked up about how doshas affect people to refresh my memory, and looks like I'm about 65% Vata and 35% Kapha. My body type is all Vata, and my mindset is mostly Vata but also with very much Kapha. Doesn't look like I got much of any Pitta at all, but my body stays very warm when exposed to any cold temperature, so maybe that is an example of Pitta.

I don't oversleep too often, but I do sometimes. And I am able to badly undersleep and still be functional, if I have to.

I try to drink a lot of water and I never go anywhere without bringing a lot of water with me. My body needs much more water than most other people do, even though I am very thin. So that sounds like another Vata example.

I don't know if it's possible for someone to lack a dosha. Maybe when it doesn't display in an assessment, it's just very weak. Like in your soul you cannot be devoid of one element, as human have all five elements in different quantities.

From what I know, it's easier to balance the doshas than to increase or decrease them. But anyway my knowledge of this is only superficial, as i stuggle to find good resources to study them.

Did you read the bit about the climate, right? Of course, some people are luckier and have draught excluders as well as humidifier to fight against the wind and excessive dryness/humidity.

I forgot that sleeping habits and medical conditions may also be a factor in waking up dried. People who sleep with their mouth open are going to be dried more easily. That could be an habit or due to nasal congestion, which is a kapha imbalance, as far as I know.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back