Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Dry eyes

Hearsync

I have been experiencing dry eyes daily for some months now. I've never had this problem before and not sure what might be causing it. I don't think it's the changing seasons as I've been experiencing it from the end of winter and now into summer. It tends to happen mostly some hours after having woken up, will persist for a short period of time - maybe 30min or so, then will go away and won't often experience it again the rest of the day.

It was suggested I take fish oil daily, but I haven't noticed any change. Don't really want to have to result in eye drops, so perhaps there is some sort of imbalance I could correct through TCM or otherwise? Open to any suggestions!

Ol argedco luciftias said:
Very simple imbalance, drink more water! People being dehydrated when they wake up is very common.

I like to think I drink plenty of water - and often have a fair amount in the morning. I feel like there's something else going on.

Hi.

Besides drinking enough water, you can try this:

In the morning, soak a pad, a cloth, anything, with warm water. Squeeze. Then apply the warm material over your eyes for couple minutes. You can even try your whole face. This is warm compress to bring more blood flow to the area. You can lightly massage the area around your eyelids.

I have dry eyes everyday from wearing contact lenses for few hours. That's what I do to help dry my eyes. It may work for you.

scorpiorising said:
Hi.

In the morning, soak a pad, a cloth, anything, with warm water. Squeeze. Then apply the warm material over your eyes for couple minutes. You can even try your whole face. This is warm compress to bring more blood flow to the area. You can lightly massage the area around your eyelids.

I have dry eyes everyday from wearing contact lenses for few hours. That's what I do to help dry my eyes. It may work for you.

Thanks, Ill give it a shot. Finding I get dry eyes at any random time of the day - even in the evening.

Anyone aware of any TCM implications they might be aware of around this?

Hearsync said:
scorpiorising said:
Hi.

Thanks, Ill give it a shot. Finding I get dry eyes at any random time of the day - even in the evening.

Anyone aware of any TCM implications they might be aware of around this?
Evening and morning are not to random times.The temperature of our body rises those times.What mean is that if you for example habe the average temperature for your normal temperature (36.6 C) in the evening it can get to 37.2C while you are perfectly healthy.
So check this with a thermometer because this can be the case.Also more water ,sleep properly in the night (from 11 pm to 2am max is the ideal bit it is advisable to sleep before the midnight. Also make sure that it is in a dark place cause it is scientifically proved that the pineal gland secretes an hormone named melatonin ,which has various health benefits,and is only secreted from pineal gland when you sleep in the dark.)
Finally if you don't want to do what scorpiorising adviced you (not that it is harmful or anything) you warm your palms and put them in your eyes so can only see dark.This will have the same effect with scorpiorising's advise.(It is out of topic but if you do what I told you with the palms ,in the time you are doing it you xan do void meditation focusing only on the full darkness.I told you just if you want to do 2 in 1 things :) )

Dry eyes are a symptom of liver blood deficiency.

If you are a woman, and these coincide with short menstrual flow (or minimal flow) then you may need to consider some blood building herbs such as Dang Gui (angelica sinensis) and Shu Di Huang (cooked Rhemmania).

If the problem is intermittent and comes and goes and has no correspondent poor period flow then it is likely an issue with qi circulation.

This can be resolved with the addition of more exercise into your routine.

Centralforce666 said:
Dry eyes are a symptom of liver blood deficiency.

If you are a woman, and these coincide with short menstrual flow (or minimal flow) then you may need to consider some blood building herbs such as Dang Gui (angelica sinensis) and Shu Di Huang (cooked Rhemmania).

If the problem is intermittent and comes and goes and has no correspondent poor period flow then it is likely an issue with qi circulation.

This can be resolved with the addition of more exercise into your routine.

Thanks central force! You always have the answers I'm looking for (and often waiting for, despite how busy I'm sure you must be).

I am a Male, so no period flow. I would say I have had a decrease in the amount of exercise I've been getting since the symptoms began. I'll have to pick that up. Any herbs you would recommend for men?

I take it the problem comes and goes as mentioned and is not continuous and accompanied by poor sleep, forgetfulness and dizziness?

Hearsync said:

May or may not be the cause, but blue light exposure from LED's and digital screens can cause dry eyes. I would suggest blocking that through screen filters or glasses and see if there is any change.

Fish oil supplements and the lipids contained within are actually pretty unstable in supplement form. Better to just get some frozen fish filets, thaw them, and add them to a meal.

If you think winter is to blame, it could be related to the humidity of the air. Perhaps a humidifier would help in that regard.

Blitzkreig said:
Hearsync said:

May or may not be the cause, but blue light exposure from LED's and digital screens can cause dry eyes. I would suggest blocking that through screen filters or glasses and see if there is any change.

This is actually from overuse of the eyes.

The eyes consume blood in order to function and overuse such as staring at a screen all day will consume more blood than usual leading to poorer eye lubrication.

Note the supplements listed are all heavy, oily substances - things which directly nourish blood.

Centralforce666 said:
I take it the problem comes and goes as mentioned and is not continuous and accompanied by poor sleep, forgetfulness and dizziness?

You are correct, it comes and goes, is not continuous for usually any more than a few minutes to maybe 10min. I'm sleeping well, and no signs of forgetfulness or dizziness. I will have some very minor forgetfulness from time to time but it's nothing new.

I just did a month of fish oil - I did a high quality small fish oil, and GLA borage seed oil. Helped with my skin a bit, but didn't have any effect on my eyes unfortunately.

I'm not looking at screens for too long - only do that periodically, and have glasses with blue light filter in them.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back