Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Quitting caffeine and healing from caffeine overuse

HailVictory88

Recently I have realized that I have been using way too much caffeine. It didn't use to be as big of a problem for me, but I think I need to really cut back for health reasons as I am sometimes drinking over ten cups of coffee a day. Would it be best to quit cold turkey or taper down? Also, what would be recommended for helping my brain and energy levels recover after a few years of caffeine overuse?

Don't underestimate caffeine it might seem an innocuous drug that is legal but it can have some serious side effects.

You should definitely drink down over time. Perhaps reach a point where you drink 1 cup of coffee in the morning and the other times you wish for more. Make yourself decaf, it's sometimes more desiring not the addiction but the taste.

One cup isn't bad it's not gonna kill you might even get health benefits. But if you wish to eventually quit do know you HAVE to kind rid yourself of the coffee and machine. If you want to completely avoid coffee. Sounds to me like your responsible for one cup and later cups IF you wish with decaf. It's gotten bad but knowing the way you want to harness your responsibility you may choose to limit to one caffeinated cup and the rest IF you want more decaf.

HailVictory88 said:
Recently I have realized that I have been using way too much caffeine. It didn't use to be as big of a problem for me, but I think I need to really cut back for health reasons as I am sometimes drinking over ten cups of coffee a day. Would it be best to quit cold turkey or taper down? Also, what would be recommended for helping my brain and energy levels recover after a few years of caffeine overuse?
Why do you drink so much,study perhaps?

Caffeine in moderation is not the worst thing in the world.. It is closely related to the polyphenols in cocoa which produce the feel-good effect thereof and stimulates many body functions.

The amount you are talking about is far too much.

One coffee a day is about the maximum that anyone should really go to with the occasional second cup not causing too much harm.

Persons who are sensitive to caffeine should avoid it (those who get anxious, palpitations etc) as this has to do with an alternate liver enzyme pathway which causes caffeine to be metabolised very quickly and cause adverse effects.

Slow metabolisers are the other subgroup who can benefit from small amounts of caffeine.

Being a substance of immense physiological involvement, it would be best to taper your intake.

Stopping cold turkey will be very uncomfortable and result in long lasting headaches from vessel dilation (caffeine constricts blood vessels) and a reduced output of epinephrine. These effects will be temporary but very very uncomfortable...

Centralforce666 said:
Persons who are sensitive to caffeine should avoid it (those who get anxious, palpitations etc) as this has to do with an alternate liver enzyme pathway which causes caffeine to be metabolised very quickly and cause adverse effects.

Out of curiosity, could you tell a bit more about this alternative liver enzyme pathway? or where could I find the information for it?

The enzyme is CYP1A2 and I made an error - slow metabolisers feel worse for caffeine and have a greater risk of ill effects.

Fast metabolisers have a reduced risk and take some benefit from caffein consumption.

If you search fast and slow metabolisers of caffeine CYP1A2 you will find a plethora of information on the subject.

Thank you all for your responses. I have noticed that I can better limit my use if I only drink it in the morning. I intend to try to stick to one container (a larger one since I am just starting to cut down now) in the morning and avoid using it in the afternoon and evening. I also think this will help me eat better, as although caffeine initially reduces my appetite it causes it to fluctuate back later.

i recently got addicted to caffeine through coffee enemas. Definitely a serious problem. Best to switch to green tea and then taper off to total abstinence over a couple of weeks as the ventricles of the brain have probably enlarged which is a common side effect and if you don't transition off it you get head aches as the ventricles reduce in size.

loki88 said:
i recently got addicted to caffeine through coffee enemas. Definitely a serious problem. Best to switch to green tea and then taper off to total abstinence over a couple of weeks as the ventricles of the brain have probably enlarged which is a common side effect and if you don't transition off it you get head aches as the ventricles reduce in size.

Caffeine is actually a vasoconstrictor - it makes blood vessels narrower.

When you skip it or stop taking it, the blood vessels in your head engorge and swell up which is why you get headaches.

Ventricles in the brain depend on fluid and more fluid would be available during blood vessel dilation rather than constriction.

I stand corrected. What is your opinion: caffeine: overall helpful or harmful? Is green tea recommended or contraindicated?

Caffeine in itself is not bad. All caffeine does is block the adenosine receptors which tell your brain your body is tired. A lot of the harmful things come from the other ingredients in the drinks which contain caffeine. If you would like to use caffeine it can be helpful depending on the person. My advice is to get it in a pure form. You usually can't find it in stores but there is a website I always got mine from called myprotein.com who sells supplements and nutrients to help in exercise.

The person who knows your body best is you my friend. Avoid going over the daily recommended limit though. Also if you are needing supplements or something along those lines and want medical advice go to a doctor.

Here is the site

https://www.myprotein.com/

The item is called "pure caffeine". It is currently out of stock but will be back in stock within 2 weeks(according to a rep I asked). One pill is 200mg of caffeine which is about a standard cup of coffee

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back