Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Frozen vegetables/food

winragefilled666

There is no question that fresh food is better for you , but some foods like spinach are hardly aviable/expensive or spoil quickly like brocolli. So is there anything inherintly bad about frozen food in itself? (for cooking)

I don't think the act of freezing does anything to it, it's all about the quality it had before they froze it. Which could be better or worse than can be gotten fresh.

Short answer is, frozen vegetables are better than no vegetables.

They also have no preservatives or processing - the low temperature is the preservative.

Frozen meats and produce are fine. The only frozen food to be skeptical about are frozen, factory-made meals. In other words, processed foods.

winragefilled666 said:
There is no question that fresh food is better for you , but some foods like spinach are hardly aviable/expensive or spoil quickly like brocolli. So is there anything inherintly bad about frozen food in itself? (for cooking)
Fresh produce is often picked under-ripe so that it survives shipment to the store. Frozen produce is usually picked when fully ripe. As a result, it can actually contain more nutrients. However, the freezing process damages some of the vitamins.

Fresh and frozen produce are more or less equally healthy, but both are infinitely better than processed foods.

Also, buy organic when you can. The amount of pesticide (poison) in conventional food keeps getting higher.

Thanks for the info , :)

while on the topic , what about canned food (particularly fish and other sea products) ? It's been shown to contain bpa so does it matter or is it safe once in a while?

winragefilled666 said:

...Thanks for the info , :)

while on the topic , what about canned food (particularly fish and other sea products) ? It's been shown to contain bpa so does it matter or is it safe once in a while?

I've found that the frozen food that you get from supermarkets is full of chemicals and stuff, meats and vegetables both.

As for canned foods, there are a ton of preservatives and other harmful stuff in them. I always get disturbing dreams and headaches after eating canned foods. That is a sign that they are not good for you. It won't kill you if you eat canned herring or such once in a while but it's pretty up there in terms of how much it messes with you, for me anyway. I would strongly recommend to stay away from commercial frozen foods and canned foods but if you get them from someone you trust then canned and frozen foods are not a problem, like if you grow carrots and then freeze them or a local hunter makes natural canned meats and such.

curio said:
Frozen meats and produce are fine. The only frozen food to be skeptical about are frozen, factory-made meals. In other words, processed foods.

What about the organic ones are they ok. Like there is an organic section in some grocery store freezer sections or individual ones labeled natural or organic they cost more but are they better health wise.

darkmonkey666 said:
curio said:

What about the organic ones are they ok. Like there is an organic section in some grocery store freezer sections or individual ones labeled natural or organic they cost more but are they better health wise.

If you are still speaking from the supermarket.. They may have less pesticides put onto them, but when it comes to nutrient density they are probably not much different.

It also takes many years for a farmed soil the regular way to be completely or nearly completely restored for biological farming, that includes, the nutrient density of the foods growing on them.

But, I think the means to creating better soil faster, are rising. And that is only good news. But if you really want to have a good product for your food, I think you'll have to grow it yourself.
And there are also many videos to be found on the internet to create a vertical growing thing (like aquaponics, but I think that system still lacks some things) for if you are low on space and it seems to have a decent yield, at least.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back