Welcome to our New Forums!

Our forums have been upgraded and expanded!

Welcome to Our New Forums

• Our forums have been upgraded! You can read about this HERE

Is it Wrong to Rehome your Cat?

GoldenxChild1

I have a great cat, her name is Salem. She is relaxed, good with kids, loving, playful, and gentle.

However, I find myself unable to maintain the cleanliness that comes with an animal.

Hair, litter, and knitting on furniture are the hardest things to keep up after.

I don't live in a big place so I feel like with kids plus a cat I am getting overwhelmed along with the other things I have to do.

I am sad to say I don't show her affection enough or play with her. She is quite content either way but still.

It makes me very sad to consider rehoming her but I know it'll come with lots of benefits.

Please I need advice.
Thanks

GoldenxChild1 said:

How long have you had this cat? Are others in the family attached to them, and vice versa?
Getting rid of her may save you what, perhaps 20 minutes per day?

If you are overwhelmed, is she the root cause of this? Ask the kids to take care of theses chores, or other chores, to give you more time. There are tools to help remove cat hair from the environment, as well as prevent damage from scratching

In regards to re-homing, I think the shelters are flooded. If you cannot secure a family for them, they will likely just end up in the shelter for a long period of time. This should mainly be done in a situation where the cat is having a bad life.

Blitzkreig [JG said:
" post_id=393919 time=1665895134 user_id=21286]
GoldenxChild1 said:

How long have you had this cat? Are others in the family attached to them, and vice versa?
Getting rid of her may save you what, perhaps 20 minutes per day?

If you are overwhelmed, is she the root cause of this? Ask the kids to take care of theses chores, or other chores, to give you more time. There are tools to help remove cat hair from the environment, as well as prevent damage from scratching

In regards to re-homing, I think the shelters are flooded. If you cannot secure a family for them, they will likely just end up in the shelter for a long period of time. This should mainly be done in a situation where the cat is having a bad life.

2 years or so. And no I am the only one who cares whether she stays or not.

She is not the root cause.

I have attempted to control the hair and scratching, it doesn't work. She also eats our plants and jumps on the counter where we eat. My coach is ruined, and since my place is small her litter is close to the kitchen which is gross.

She is however kind and loving. With work, kids, cleaning, and 4 hours of Satanic practice a day I think I am simply overwhelmed and looking for a reprieve.

I'll figure it out.

GoldenxChild1 said:

I have attempted to control the hair and scratching, it doesn't work. She also eats our plants and jumps on the counter where we eat. My coach is ruined, and since my place is small her litter is close to the kitchen which is gross.

She is however kind and loving. With work, kids, cleaning, and 4 hours of Satanic practice a day I think I am simply overwhelmed and looking for a reprieve.

I'll figure it out.

For cleaning, I think you should delegate out the chores between your family members. When I was a kid, my parents never expected me to do much in this area. As I got older, this just seemed silly and it definitely didn't help me or anything.

Unfortunately, cats require labor, but this labor shouldn't fall entirely on you. I would attempt to make other changes before going for something that will directly cause pain.

As for her litter, you can get boxes with covers on them.

In my experience, cats will scratch whatever they think they need to claim, such as wherever you like to spend time. Any scratching posts need to be placed almost right next to where they want to scratch, like the side of the couch. Otherwise, you will have to order a protective clear tape product to stop scratching on a surface.

Lastly, have you considered letter her outside, if you are able? This would give her a break and allow her to entertain herself. You would want to apply a flea treatment to her, though.

Blitzkreig [JG said:
" post_id=394072 time=1665967790 user_id=21286]
GoldenxChild1 said:

I'll figure it out.

For cleaning, I think you should delegate out the chores between your family members. When I was a kid, my parents never expected me to do much in this area. As I got older, this just seemed silly and it definitely didn't help me or anything.

Unfortunately, cats require labor, but this labor shouldn't fall entirely on you. I would attempt to make other changes before going for something that will directly cause pain.

As for her litter, you can get boxes with covers on them.

In my experience, cats will scratch whatever they think they need to claim, such as wherever you like to spend time. Any scratching posts need to be placed almost right next to where they want to scratch, like the side of the couch. Otherwise, you will have to order a protective clear tape product to stop scratching on a surface.

Lastly, have you considered letter her outside, if you are able? This would give her a break and allow her to entertain herself. You would want to apply a flea treatment to her, though.

I appreciate your understanding. I will do as you suggested. And we live in a top floor apartment so no I can't let her out. I did get the protective covering but she will go around it or through it. I will get a better scratch post and a box cover, I have other ideas as well.

I am a clean freak so I can be a little obsessive over hair and related.

Al Jilwah: Chapter IV

"It is my desire that all my followers unite in a bond of unity, lest those who are without prevail against them." - Satan

Back