Temple of Zeus — The Assembly of the Gods

What's Currently Still Being Fixed After Migration

ApolloAbove [SG]

ApolloAbove [SG]Edited
#1

Greetings all. I hope you are enjoying the new forums.

First, if you need help recovering your account still, please contact me. To those of you who contacted me recently, please check your inboxes.
The forum migration may have reverted your username to a previous one, so try logging in with your old username first, and then requesting a username change within your profile settings.

As of right now we are still working on:
- EDIT: EMAIL HAS BEEN FIXED. TRY REQUESTING A PASSWORD RESET IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!
- Coloring issues with some website elements not being very visible
- Nobody was intentionally stripped of mod powers or "rank." If you are unable to do something you used to be able to, please email.
- EDIT: Bookmarks are going to be restored for everyone very soon.

In the future:
- More themes for everyone to choose from
- More reactions and different emojis to use

Thank you for your patience.

Discussion

Ài GōngLead Translator
#161

You can't cross-reference existing attachments. I noticed this upon translating the new year message. I had to upload the same video again instead of let's say, use the link of the existing file by

Attachment 1462

- (the same ID of the video file HP HC posted). This seems inefficient and could bloat the server later I don't know.

ApolloAbove [SG]
#162
Egon wrote:View source

You can't cross-reference existing attachments. I noticed this upon translating the new year message. I had to upload the same video again instead of let's say, use the link of the existing file by

Attachment 1462

- (the same ID of the video file HP HC posted). This seems inefficient and could bloat the server later I don't know.

Not sure that is possible to do, but interesting to note. Thank you

Ol argedco luciftiasActive Helper
#163

Now that some users have small symbols put next to their names, could you please put somewhere what the meanings of these symbols are? Some of them are more obvious, but some are not.

Also the new trophy for having majority of posts receiving good reactions. I'm wondering how this is calculated, since most of my posts were made before there were reactions. If it is just taking the average with total number of good reactions divided by total number of posts, then I could earn that. :)

ApolloAbove [SG]
#164
Ol argedco luciftias wrote:View source

Now that some users have small symbols put next to their names, could you please put somewhere what the meanings of these symbols are? Some of them are more obvious, but some are not.

Also the new trophy for having majority of posts receiving good reactions. I'm wondering how this is calculated, since most of my posts were made before there were reactions. If it is just taking the average with total number of good reactions divided by total number of posts, then I could earn that. :)

Hover your mouse over them to see the descriptions. Unfortunately, there is no way to see this on mobile. I didn't design the system, so it will take me more time to get that working.

I have been experimenting in adding more trophies. One of the new ones is to have more total reactions than posts. Of course, if you have been here forever, that is quite hard to achieve. So I will probably modify the requirements again. None of it means anything, since it's all just virtual points.

WotanwarriorActive Translator
#165

One problem I have noticed that happens a lot when I work with translations is that when I am editing and correcting the text, everything looks fine and once I hit send message, the text is compressed and the paragraphs are too close together.

#166

I must mention that the search function is...kinda bad?

For example, I cannot search for specific term, and include that only. Let's say, I type in "solar return". I get result for "solar return", but I also get results for "solar" and "return", so I have to sift through mountains of unrelated stuff to find exactly what I am searching for.

No, putting the search term in quotes does not help either, which is weird, you would expect it to (in that case you would be searching for the exact string).

Henu the GreatActive Helper
#167

Search is definitely downgraded from previous platform, BUT, it is possible to manually improve it. Fingers crossed here.

ApolloAbove [SG]
#168
Larissa666 wrote:View source

I must mention that the search function is...kinda bad?

For example, I cannot search for specific term, and include that only. Let's say, I type in "solar return". I get result for "solar return", but I also get results for "solar" and "return", so I have to sift through mountains of unrelated stuff to find exactly what I am searching for.

No, putting the search term in quotes does not help either, which is weird, you would expect it to (in that case you would be searching for the exact string).

I'll see what I can do. Frankly if all that can be complained about is exact search phrase not being respected, I wouldn't consider that bad.

Henu the Great wrote:View source

Search is definitely downgraded from previous platform, BUT, it is possible to manually improve it. Fingers crossed here.

From previous experience with the old forum, if you searched something like "Runes" it would search recursively inside quotes. So you would get nothing but the word Runes inside someone else's quote, which was quoted from another user, etc. Sometimes the highlighted search term wasn't even visible within the search result, meaning you would just be staring blankly at a result with your search term nowhere in sight. This system doesn't search quotes.

#169
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

I'll see what I can do. Frankly if all that can be complained about is exact search phrase not being respected, I wouldn't consider that bad.

Well, that's one thing, but overall old forum used to have more refined and advanced search, so I would say it's somewhat of a regression in that regard.

But then again, if it proves to be something too complicated to implement, I guess we can live with it. It was a suggestion after all.

Henu the GreatActive Helper
#170
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

From previous experience with the old forum, if you searched something like "Runes" it would search recursively inside quotes. So you would get nothing but the word Runes inside someone else's quote, which was quoted from another user, etc. Sometimes the highlighted search term wasn't even visible within the search result, meaning you would just be staring blankly at a result with your search term nowhere in sight. This system doesn't search quotes.

I have never had either of those problems. I used filtering by poster quite a lot. Nowadays referring information to others via search is too cumbersome so I do it over 95% less than before. Fortunately, we have some resources handily available in repositories and ToZ Wiki, to name two examples.

Maelstorm [TG]
#171

The old forum's search system was definitely much worse. Since migrating to XenForo I am much more satisfied with the search and filtering.

ApolloAbove [SG]
#172
Henu the Great wrote:View source

I have never had either of those problems. I used filtering by poster quite a lot. Nowadays referring information to others via search is too cumbersome so I do it over 95% less than before. Fortunately, we have some resources handily available in repositories and ToZ Wiki, to name two examples.

The wiki and this forum use the same search system, but configured differently.

Henu the GreatActive Helper
#173
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

The wiki and this forum use the same search system, but configured differently.

Wiki has concentrated information, and using "omni:" will filter results nicely so there is no issue there. The issue is finding relevant information here.

ApolloAbove [SG]
#174
Henu the Great wrote:View source

Wiki has concentrated information, and using "omni:" will filter results nicely so there is no issue there. The issue is finding relevant information here.

The wiki was started in 2021 and has required JG Blitz and a group of volunteers to meticulously organize the information. Not only that, but they still aren't fully done and work has been ongoing for years. So I would hope it would be easier to search and find information, as opposed to years of unfiltered forum posts of varying quality. That was actually the main goal of the wiki, so I am happy it works well for finding info. Should I wave my magic wand here and organize the years of forum posts too? It is easy to suggest some vague fix, but the wiki only came to be useful from years of manual work.

Larissa666 wrote:View source

Well, that's one thing, but overall old forum used to have more refined and advanced search, so I would say it's somewhat of a regression in that regard.

But then again, if it proves to be something too complicated to implement, I guess we can live with it. It was a suggestion after all.

I asked all JGs and Clergy members if they preferred this forum or the previous forum system for search, and they all agreed this one was easier and was improved. Further, I went through and tested your search for "solar return" in this forum and found that every single post contained "solar return" at least once. It does also highlight "solar" and "return" separately in the replies, which can appear confusing. In some search results it appears the post is irrelevant because your search term isn't highlighted at all, but if you click on the post, you will see the term "solar return" in every single one.

I also went through our xenforo search and saw it has the exact same functions as the old phpbb forum. In fact, this new version actually lets you search for something within a specific time frame, making it more useful.

Use the Advanced search and then search by Threads specifically.

You can actually compare the original search page vs the new one because I archived a read-only version of it.

New: https://ancient-forums.com/index.php?search/&type=postFull site ↗
Old: https://apolloabove.org/ancient-forums.com/search.php%3Fsid=b37b4e6f6a884c522c26c677dbb5bfa5.html?keywords=&sid=b37b4e6f6a884c522c26c677dbb5bfa5External ↗

Henu the GreatActive Helper
#175
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

The wiki was started in 2021 and has required JG Blitz and a group of volunteers to meticulously organize the information. Not only that, but they still aren't fully done and work has been ongoing for years. So I would hope it would be easier to search and find information, as opposed to years of unfiltered forum posts of varying quality. That was actually the main goal of the wiki, so I am happy it works well for finding info. Should I wave my magic wand here and organize the years of forum posts too? It is easy to suggest some vague fix, but the wiki only came to be useful from years of manual work.

I know, I have been part of that work. :) I simply wonder if the search can be customized, that is all.

AFODOLead Translator
#176

Now that I look at the old forum I think one of the aesthetic thing about it is the soft/curved edges. The new forums have very hard edges.

#177
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

Greetings all. I hope you are enjoying the new forums.

First, if you need help recovering your account still, please contact me. To those of you who contacted me recently, please check your inboxes.
The forum migration may have reverted your username to a previous one, so try logging in with your old username first, and then requesting a username change within your profile settings.

As of right now we are still working on:
- EDIT: EMAIL HAS BEEN FIXED. TRY REQUESTING A PASSWORD RESET IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!
- Coloring issues with some website elements not being very visible
- Nobody was intentionally stripped of mod powers or "rank." If you are unable to do something you used to be able to, please email.
- EDIT: Bookmarks are going to be restored for everyone very soon.

In the future:
- More themes for everyone to choose from
- More reactions and different emojis to use

Thank you for your path

ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

Greetings all. I hope you are enjoying the new forums.

First, if you need help recovering your account still, please contact me. To those of you who contacted me recently, please check your inboxes.
The forum migration may have reverted your username to a previous one, so try logging in with your old username first, and then requesting a username change within your profile settings.

As of right now we are still working on:
- EDIT: EMAIL HAS BEEN FIXED. TRY REQUESTING A PASSWORD RESET IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO GET INTO YOUR ACCOUNT!
- Coloring issues with some website elements not being very visible
- Nobody was intentionally stripped of mod powers or "rank." If you are unable to do something you used to be able to, please email.
- EDIT: Bookmarks are going to be restored for everyone very soon.

In the future:
- More themes for everyone to choose from
- More reactions and different emojis to use

Thank you for your patience.

I feel like i meet you somewhere

AFODOLead TranslatorEdited
#178
ApolloAbove [JG] wrote:View source

Use the Advanced search and then search by Threads specifically.

Try to display all threads STARTED BY HPZM AND ONLY THAT FIRST POST with the search function.

Now the only way to do this is to go to a profile "find" than "find threads", but not with the search.

Few things that would be a good improvement:

-Being able to select multiple forums to search in at once.
-searching in threads, and giving the name of the author should display only threads that were started by that specific author. Now it displays all threads BY the author AND ALSO that the author posted in as a commenter or the author's thread and the author's REPLIES in that thread (depending on "Display results as threads" is on or not). MAKES NO SENSE!
-(Optional) merge the 3 pages to make it less confusing, and give the option to what to search for (posts, threads, profile posts, all, and be able to select multiple of this) as they were on one page in the previous forums as well.
-Being able to ignore the archive or search specifically only in the archive (possible with my first recommendation, but there could be just a shortcut for this).

Henu the GreatActive Helper
#180
Larissa666 wrote:View source

I have encountered a bug, when you collapse featured posts nothing else of the forum is visible.

Attachment 6680

I reported this almost immediately and then again, but got no response. Additionally, on desktop with Mozilla Firefox, there is a bug when scrolling down the page, the right side column does not scroll down with the rest of the page until you reach down enough on the page. It is noteworthy that another forum with the same platform does function correctly in this regard. Irritating, but we'll manage I guess.